LeBrun: Teams calling Seattle ahead of the deadline about expansion protection for acquired players

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Great thread gets made

1 post in

howdoesitaffecttheleafs.png

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
sorry why can’t they?

They have sandin and Lilly and a bunch of serviceable players willing to sign up for cheap. If both are untouchable and so good. Then

rielly. Brodie
Muzz. Holl or dermott

And sandin/Lilly paired with UFA.

there should be zero fear of losing one. Especially not for a first.

who would pay a first and a serviceable top 9 forward for either?

Well, that's Pittsburgh. Montreal will have to expose Allen, and one of Edmundson or Chiarot, plus, some decent depth forwards upfront.

Seattle also gets a 2 day window to negotiate with UFAs, so they would be able to talk contract with Danault, Hymen, etc and if able to sign them that would be their pick.

Minnesota is in a D bind again with Dumba.

Some teams will pay, but we'll see.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I sure hope Seattle doesnt take one of Eriksson Beagle Roussell Virtanen or Myers. Thats GM Benning planning 7 years in advance

benninnnng.jpg

Reactions: WillyNy

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Which teams do you think are going to make a trade to influence Seattle into taking a player? I guess the leafs trade their 1st in 2021 for the guaranteed selection of Alex Kerfoot.

Uhh no. Rielly being traded for future assets that don’t need protection is more likely. Rielly can’t realistically be re signed anyways with the flat cap. Dermott moved up and Sandin be brought in eventually has to happen. So basically pick two of Muzzin, Brodie and Rielly. Two are signed and one will need to be paid heavily...

Last edited:

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah, I would hope GMs learned from getting pilfered by Vegas last go around, but I could still see contenders paying to keep a valuable piece or unload a bad contract (or even the reverse, where there isn't much enticing for Seattle to pick from a team so they say "how much to take Player X?")

Primary point being there will be teams who really want to use Seattle for cap relief. And I think Francis would be wise to explore that (at a cost, of course!)

I *do* think Seattle will probably avoid onerous, multiyear dumps (save for LTIR types), as Vegas did

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Losing three quality assets over just one seems Ludicrous.

Let them take whomever and move on.

Pens 7 forwards
Crosby
Malkin
Guentzel
Rust
Zucker
Kapanen
McCann

Pens 3 D-men
Letang
Dumoulin
Pettersson

Goalie
Jarry

Prominent exposed players

Forwards:
Tanev
Blueger
ZAR

D-men:
Matheson
Ceci
Riikola

Goalie:
DeSmith

Take one. Nothing worth a 1st and good prospect.
Bye...Bye....

If Tanev is available, Seattle would be wise to select him. Will add some character to their roster.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Losing Holl isn't an option, losing dermott is unwise, and Seattle has all of the leverage. I want those 2 protected and it's likely going to cost a 1st. Hopefully less but I'm being realistic about it.

Frame this question differently...

If you were Kyle Dubas -- would you trade Alex Kerfoot & your 1st round pick this year for Travis Dermott???

As others have mentioned, Dermott is the team's 5th or 6th defenceman. While he has shown flashes of potential brilliance over the last 3 years, he's never quite been able to cement himself in as a top 4 defenceman. They have a couple of younger guys in Sandin & Liljegren -- both on ELCs -- chomping at the bit.

Don't get me wrong, Dermott is a good defenceman, and he's probably going to flourish in Seattle; but realistically, the only scenarios where Dermott doesn't get taken by Seattle is if:
a) The Leafs acquire another goalie with term, and they take Campbell or that other goalie
b) Seattle decides they like Kerfoot's "fit" in the team better, or similarly to Dermott -- in which case maybe you see something small change hands.
c) The Leafs decide to make a major move and trade Morgan Rielly.

Hyman's a non-factor. Seattle isn't going to waste their pick on him; and it's likely the Leafs have a handshake deal with him already in place.

Ultimately, this expansion draft is going to hurt a lot more than Vegas did in losing Brendan Leipsic; but the only real source of "hurt" is going to be watching Dermott succeed with the Kraken; not because we necessarily need him next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marmoset and Korg

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Do people not like Dermott? I only am suggesting this move so we can keep dermott here because He is going to replace Rielly once we don't resign him and if it isn't him then he will keep being good on the bottom pair and Sandin will take Riellys spot. If people aren't with him then that's fine I can't change that mind. But I'd rather make a move to keep Dermott and lose Kerfoot/open cap space
Dermott is replaceable. Leafs will protect 3D :popcorn:

Reactions: cupcrazyman

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Dermott is replaceable. Leafs will protect 3D :popcorn:

Unlikely... barring any sort of substantial deadline addition with term.

Dermott is replacable, but Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin and Holl are not.

Up front, the Leafs have the big 4, Hyman who's a UFA, and then a bunch of other guys who are either:
a) impending UFAs -- see Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds
b) exempt -- see Mikheyev
c) replacable from Toronto's standpoint -- see Kerfoot, Engvall

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
you either have 7F 3D or 4F 4D if they protect 7 forwards then the 3D they would protect is Rielly Brodie and Muzzin. If they did 4 and 4 they would protect Holl too. My argument is they don't want to lose any of their D and can capitalize on opening up cap space. If a 1st is too much for that then what do you think would convince seattle to pick the player we want them to? Same goes for every team in the league. A late 1st didn't do that much last expansion draft but here people are acting like I'm talking about a top 10 pick or something here. Also I'm pretty sure the expansion team is free to take UFA's it'd just be dumb to do that. Could be wrong there though.

Teams have to submit their protection list until July 17th 2021 and the expansion draft will be held on July 21st 2021.
During that four day window Seattle can negotiate a contract extension with any RFA or UFA left unprotected and pick one player per team.

So picking a UFA wouldn't be dumb, because it would only happen if they agree to a contract extension before being selected.

If he wants Fleury he'll just take him. No way he's taking on Gardiner's contract for just a 3rd round pick. He's a pretty negative asset at this point. He could very well try to bend us over a barrel and I can't really blame him. Just let him take one of the guys we can't protect. Only pay assets to keep around Bean.

Yeah, IMO dumping contracts on us will be pretty expensive in this current financial climate.

1st + prospect to take on a cap dump is steep. Francis might price himself out of trades if he doesn't take it down a notch.

It's a negotiation which means you always start asking for a king's ransom.
Though, I think the current financial climate really helps Francis as about half the league would like to shed salary.

Did no GM learn their lesson from the last time around?

They learned by getting their rosters in order.
Though, the financial situation might force them into a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00