LeBrun: Teams calling Seattle ahead of the deadline about expansion protection for acquired players

kb

Aug 28, 2009
so if Hyman is a UFA, Seattle could just talk contract with him.. and how is he a UFA and not eligible for the draft :help:
The Leafs could announce his contract extension 1/2 second after the Expansion draft concludes. So not eligible to be selected as a pending UFA, and won't be available once he signs his extension.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Leafs could announce his contract extension 1/2 second after the Expansion draft concludes. So not eligible to be selected as a pending UFA, and won't be available once he signs his extension.

one issue, Seattle has a 2 day exclusive UF window where they can talk to Hyman and sign him if he is willing to come here.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Hyman is not eligible as of right now

Also there is no guarantee that both Muzzin and Brodie are protected

As tempting as it might be to leave Muzzin's 3-year, $5.625m deal to a 32 year old physical defenceman; I just don't see Dubas being willing to risk breaking up the top 4 that he invested so many resources in finally building.

Yes, it's likely to become a bad contract with the cap not going up. Toronto likely knows it, Seattle likely knows it, but the guy brings "playoff-hockey" which is what Toronto needs, and leadership, which is what Seattle will need.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
one issue, Seattle has a 2 day exclusive UF window where they can talk to Hyman and sign him if he is willing to come here.

I highly, highly doubt that Zach Hyman has any interest in joining Seattle, or leaving Toronto for that matter.

Hyman isn't your average "small-town Canadian kid" who at the age of 17 spends twice as much time in a hockey rink than he does in a classroom... who knows he can only look at the value of his next contract to provide for him and his family; with no real prospects for "life after hockey".

Hyman comes from a very wealthy Toronto family. He has a family of his own now too. He has business interests whether it be the kids books that he writes or e-sports. He's one of a short list of players that actually has a 4-year college degree.

The "book" on Hyman isn't exactly mysterious. Both he & teams know that he racks up his points by riding the coattails of Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and John Tavares.

Seattle knows full well that if they go and give him a 5-year, $25m contract, they're almost certainly going to regret it. Hyman knows that if he goes to that kind of situation, there's a good chance it could be his last contract in the NHL; and will impact his outside marketability, both during the deal, and afterwards.

He knows that by staying in Toronto, he'll continue to get the spotlight as the Leafs "glue" guy, and that by signing a deal likely in the realm of what Kerfoot is making with trade protection, will be securing himself for a long career.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I highly, highly doubt that Zach Hyman has any interest in joining Seattle, or leaving Toronto for that matter.

Hyman isn't your average "small-town Canadian kid" who at the age of 17 spends twice as much time in a hockey rink than he does in a classroom... who knows he can only look at the value of his next contract to provide for him and his family; with no real prospects for "life after hockey".

Hyman comes from a very wealthy Toronto family. He has a family of his own now too. He has business interests whether it be the kids books that he writes or e-sports. He's one of a short list of players that actually has a 4-year college degree.

The "book" on Hyman isn't exactly mysterious. Both he & teams know that he racks up his points by riding the coattails of Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and John Tavares.

Seattle knows full well that if they go and give him a 5-year, $25m contract, they're almost certainly going to regret it. Hyman knows that if he goes to that kind of situation, there's a good chance it could be his last contract in the NHL; and will impact his outside marketability, both during the deal, and afterwards.

He knows that by staying in Toronto, he'll continue to get the spotlight as the Leafs "glue" guy, and that by signing a deal likely in the realm of what Kerfoot is making with trade protection, will be securing himself for a long career.
I know a fair amount of sports fans in many markets, but man Leafs fans take the cake, ice cream, and brownies.

The entitlement and delusion makes Yankees and Lakers fans blush.

Reactions: voxel and PAZ

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
The main thing Ron Francis has to do is to prioritize.

Answer the question - what kind of team does Seattle want to build? :popcorn:

- Put everything on repeating the success of Vegas.
- Create a team that will fight for the playoffs from the first season.
- Create a team that will fight for the playoffs from the third season.

Then the actions of Seattle in the expansion draft will be clear.

I have a finished article on this topic. I don't know how to post it on this forum. Moderators are in no hurry to answer. :(

Here, a lot of space is devoted to Toronto. Should Toronto give the 1st 2021 to Seattle?
For the Guaranteed Choice Kerfoot.
To keep Dermott (Holl) on the team.

I think Toronto can afford to lose Dermott (Holl) considering Liljegren and Sandin.

1 st 2021 can be exchanged with greater profit to another team.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This is technically true, but it would be a complete waste of a pick by Seattle to select a pending UFA (especially one who wants to re-sign in Toronto) instead of taking someone like Dermott.

He's speaking about if Hyman agrees to sign a contract extension and wants to come to Seattle.
If an UFA doesn't agree to that, during that four day negotiation window, than we'll just not take him.

@Ice Mammoth Mamoth

I agree that trading a first round pick to protect Holl or McDermott(your 4th and 5th defensman) isn't the greatest idea.
Though, I doubt that late first rounders in the 2021 draft will hold that much value.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Of course not. The point being that he is still eligable cause of that 2 day ufa window for seattle. The idea that he isnt eligable is not true. Any signed players during that window becomes our pick from that team no ufa is obliged to sign here during that window.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This is technically true, but it would be a complete waste of a pick by Seattle to select a pending UFA (especially one who wants to re-sign in Toronto) instead of taking someone like Dermott.

I did say willing. No ufa is required to actually sign here during that window. Its up to the players decision if they want to or not.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Losing Holl isn't an option, losing dermott is unwise, and Seattle has all of the leverage. I want those 2 protected and it's likely going to cost a 1st. Hopefully less but I'm being realistic about it.
I’d rather we took mikheyev than dermott.
His finishing needs some work but his drive and speed would be appreciated.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I hope no team makes any deal with Seattle. Just protect who you value and take your chances as you only lose one player. Look at what happened when the teams made a deal with Vegas,

You do realize that wont happen.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Regarding OP premise consider the Winnipeg Jets.

Currently they have Morrissey, Pionk and DeMelo to protect. The best of a bad group of D. There is some consideration to protect monster Dman Logan Stanley over DeMelo. Choosing the unique player over a sound #4/5 D.

They are obviously rumoured to be trying to trade to upgrade their D.

Given the rumoured price to add Eckholm or Manson or whoever they will want to protect said player.

That means exposing both DeMelo and Stanley unless a deal is struck with Seattle.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I find this quite amusing. Hyman works his ass off every shift. He's exceptional on the forecheck, is an above-average net front presence, can finish, and a top PKer. He doesn't ride any coattails.
The 'book' on Hyman is if a line is struggling, put him on it to get it going.
Have you even watched him play?
Just wow!

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I find this quite amusing. Hyman works his ass off every shift. He's exceptional on the forecheck, is an above-average net front presence, can finish, and a top PKer. He doesn't ride any coattails.
The 'book' on Hyman is if a line is struggling, put him on it to get it going.
Have you even watched him play?
Just wow!

Yes he is, but take him away from Matthews, Marner, and/or Tavares; and his production plummets.

He's a hard worker, but the reason he's so productive is because of his linemates. He's not enough of an a-hole like a Tom Wilson to command a big salary as a "grinder".

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Yes he is, but take him away from Matthews, Marner, and/or Tavares; and his production plummets.

He's a hard worker, but the reason he's so productive is because of his linemates. He's not enough of an a-hole like a Tom Wilson to command a big salary as a "grinder".
I agree that he won't command a big salary, but to say he's just riding their coattails is completely wrong. He is capable of driving a line, ie. the 'HEM' line. And the fact that he's effective in all 3 phases of the game (PP, PK, and ES), definitely means he isn't riding on anyone's coattails.
Also, name one player whose point totals wouldn't be affected by playing with Engvall and Mikheyev.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I agree that he won't command a big salary, but to say he's just riding their coattails is completely wrong. He is capable of driving a line, ie. the 'HEM' line. And the fact that he's effective in all 3 phases of the game (PP, PK, and ES), definitely means he isn't riding on anyone's coattails.
Also, name one player whose point totals wouldn't be affected by playing with Engvall and Mikheyev.

Offensively... he absolutely rides the coattails... and I'm a big fan of Zach Hyman.

Don't get me wrong, he contributes in his own way (puck battles, forechecking) and does help his linemates succeed, but without their creativity, Hyman is your typical middle-6 grinder without any sort of "pestiness" to his game.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

And Toronto can negotiate with Hyman from now until that point and after so lord knows he'll be willing to know what the Leafs are willing to pay for him.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Did teams not learn their lesson from Vegas cleaning up?

Oh how about there's a flat cap situation where that completely throws out their original plan to avoid another vegas like expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->