LeBrun: Teams calling Seattle ahead of the deadline about expansion protection for acquired players

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Do people not like Dermott? I only am suggesting this move so we can keep dermott here because He is going to replace Rielly once we don't resign him and if it isn't him then he will keep being good on the bottom pair and Sandin will take Riellys spot. If people aren't with him then that's fine I can't change that mind. But I'd rather make a move to keep Dermott and lose Kerfoot/open cap space
Its not that people don't like him its that Dermott can be replaced by Sandin, Holl is tougher to replace.

Hyman is eligible to be drafted if left unprotected.
Say they do draft him as a UFA and he says I am going to resign in Toronto, is that allowed?

Reactions: WillyNy

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I see Dermott as a player that can very well be a big part of this team until after his UFA years. His ADV stats and 5v5 metrics are the best on the Leafs and I know that Dubas looks for and values players like that. Kerfoot if anything is super replaceable by getting a better winger (wait a year for Robertson) or letting Engvall play C (which he has been). Maybe not a 1st if it's not what is required but I think getting rid of Dermott would be a huge mistake and I personally would pay handsomely to make sure we don't lose him. I still say entice Seattle to take Kerfoot. You get extra cap $, you can replace him easier, and he is less valuable to the organization.
Entice yes definitely, but it would really depend on the price which I'd expect to be a premium; he won't make that deal if it's a 1st. Dermott is currently occupying a spot that ideally would be for Sandin & his development, as a sheltered #6 (to begin with) defenseman where he'd likely get some PP2 time additionally.

Another possibility is for the Leafs to trade Dermott to a team that would protect & have a fit for him (e.x. Ottawa); they could either recoup pick(s) lost for their rental forward or make a deal revolving around Dermott for a goalie or forward (with Andersen and Kerfoot likely gone or on the move).

As for analytics I'm sure Dubas looks at a large scale of metrics and their context with a grain of salt.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I value Dermott and Holl over Kerfoot, it would free up some cap space for us to resign players like Hyman and Dermott and acquire another goalie. Seattle has all leverage here, we need to pay more than we want to keep what we want.
I value them over Kerfoot as well, but I don’t value Dermott/Holl + a 1st over Kerfoot

if that’s the cost, I’d pass....but I am open to a deal with Seattle for them taking someone (doesn’t have to be Kerfoot) instead of Holl/Dermott

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Say they do draft him as a UFA and he says I am going to resign in Toronto, is that allowed?
It’s absolutely allowed, but then again Seattle wouldn’t pick him unless there’s a deal in principle (they get a window to negotiate with unprotected UFAs before the draft, 48hrs I think?) ...but a ufa drafted by Seattle isn’t bound to them or anything

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Haydn Fleury + 2021 3rd to take Jake Gardiner

Francis gets his own previous 1st round pick and a 3rd. Gardiner has 2 more years left at $4 million and played well this year before getting injured.

Francis could just take Haydn Fleury or Brady Skjei instead. But he would be missing out on a pick and Gardiner could net them an asset if they traded him at $2 million (50% retained).
When did Hayden fleury get traded to the Leafs?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That's not the moon. The price has been set in the past -> 1st for $4M-ish dump (see Marleau).

If your cap dumps are 35+ contracts with NMCs and bonus money that require a mandatory buyout of a non-NHL caliber player, sure.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Agree, submit your lists and let Seattle select their player.

Just ask teams like Minnesota, Florida, Anaheim and Columbus how things worked out for them last expansion draft trying to influence Seattle from not selecting certain player(s).

Tbf, doing an expansion draft deal was also what let Pittsburgh keep an important roster piece long enough to win a second cup.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Losing three quality assets over just one seems Ludicrous.

Let them take whomever and move on.

Pens 7 forwards
Crosby
Malkin
Guentzel
Rust
Zucker
Kapanen
McCann

Pens 3 D-men
Letang
Dumoulin
Pettersson

Goalie
Jarry

Prominent exposed players

Forwards:
Tanev
Blueger
ZAR

D-men:
Matheson
Ceci
Riikola

Goalie:
DeSmith

Take one. Nothing worth a 1st and good prospect.
Bye...Bye....

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I hope they don't but they can't lose Holl or Dermott so they need to work something. This is just my guess.

sorry why can’t they?

They have sandin and Lilly and a bunch of serviceable players willing to sign up for cheap. If both are untouchable and so good. Then

rielly. Brodie
Muzz. Holl or dermott

And sandin/Lilly paired with UFA.

there should be zero fear of losing one. Especially not for a first.

who would pay a first and a serviceable top 9 forward for either?

Reactions: Auston Escobar

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Losing three quality assets over just one seems Ludacris.

Pens 7 forwards
Crosby
Malkin
Guentzel
Rust
Zucker
Kapanen
McCann

Pens 3 D-men
Letang
Dumoulin
Pettersson

Goalie
Jarry

Forwards:
Tanev
Blueger
ZAR

D-men:
Matheson
Ceci
Riikola

Goalie:
DeSmith

Bye...Bye....

Just as we groom Blueger, he's gone. Who do we replace him with?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Pens 7 forwards
Crosby
Malkin
Guentzel
Rust
Zucker
Kapanen
McCann

Pens 3 D-men
Letang
Dumoulin
Pettersson

Goalie
Jarry

Forwards:
Tanev
Blueger
ZAR

D-men:
Matheson
Ceci
Riikola

Goalie:
DeSmith

Bye...Bye....
How dare you fill this thread with non Leafs talk!

I agree though, GM's should of learned from Vegas. Better to lose 1 asset than 2 or 3 to protect 1. In this case the handful of dimes might be worth more than the quarter. Unless you are doing a large cap dump.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’m curious if Lou does something to move a contract or just exposes a bunch of guys and let’s them ride.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

Pens 7 forwards
Crosby
Malkin
Guentzel
Rust
Zucker
Kapanen
McCann

Pens 3 D-men
Letang
Dumoulin
Pettersson

Goalie
Jarry

Forwards:
Tanev
Blueger
ZAR

D-men:
Matheson
Ceci
Riikola

Goalie:
DeSmith

Bye...Bye....

5732d29b2b7fb.jpeg

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Losing Holl isn't an option, losing dermott is unwise, and Seattle has all of the leverage. I want those 2 protected and it's likely going to cost a 1st. Hopefully less but I'm being realistic about it.

Dermott has been an nhl regular since 2018 has been nothing more than a 3rd pairing d-man.
Trading a first so Seattle won't take him is awful asset management.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
That's not the moon. The price has been set in the past -> 1st for $4M-ish dump (see Marleau).
Doesn’t matter... the report is Francis is telling them a first plus a legit prospect... so basically they still get a premium player from you plus a first to eat cap... its not going to be cheap. He isn’t a fool... the cap situation has a lot of teams in a bind... he has all the cards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad