WC: Team CZE - 2019

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Gulas official now.. maybe he can teach current NHL player Chytil a thing or two! I'm fine with the Plzen boys locking up - Kubalik, Gulas and Kovar. But I better see Chytil in there somewhere instead of both Zohornas!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Francouz in net today. We will play 8+12, Gulaš and Chytil in lineup, Hynek and Tomáš Zohorna scratched.

Now this is all great news. I really think they should just put Chytil on a wing and let him fly.

Funny thing as we've now used 3 goalies and Mrazek (who may not have come due to UFA) is available. Pastrnak is 3rd in playoff scoring and in the finals. Hertl is 7th in scoring but he's in a dogfight with St. Louis. Go SJ!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Swiss are undefeated (easier draw so far) and just picked up Nino. They've been in the finals a few times in the last few years. I could see them being a real headache for Russia and Sweden. I could see them being a gigantic headache for us.

If we win today and Latvia loses to Russia we're guaranteed the quarters.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We are officially in the quarter finals! I'm starting to get the impression that our group is very top heavy so this is a big deal. No upsets at all and the top teams are destroying the bottom teams. We got 7, 6 and 8 goals against Norway, Latvia and Italy for instance.

That's another piece of good news - we are tied for second (with Russia) in tournament scoring! Sweden is in first. I think ours is more impressive because we've already played Russia and Sweden.

Really curious to see standing after tomorrow... we play Austria so I'll assume we get the 3 points as this particular Austria side is struggling. However, the Swiss play Sweden today and Russia tomorrow. I can't see them losing both those games back to back. Could real open up the group.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Of course we must go through QF first but after that best team after group phase plays with 4th best (and 2nd with 3rd). It looks like we can be 2nd (or 3rd at worst) best team after group phase. So we can avoid Russia :laugh: everyone else is playable I'd say. Now defeat good SUI team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Of course we must go through QF first but after that best team after group phase plays with 4th best (and 2nd with 3rd). It looks like we can be 2nd (or 3rd at worst) best team after group phase. So we can avoid Russia :laugh: everyone else is playable I'd say. Now defeat good SUI team.
I'm already really happy with how it's gone.. however, a quarter final win would be amazing. I'd really like to have hockey on next Saturday/Sunday.

I do feel, in this particular tournament, that we are on par with the big 5. Our 34 goals leads the entire tournament as of this typing.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Now if they put Chytil back in and Palat finds his offensive game, so we can have 3 great scoring lines + a speedy 4th (Repik-Chytil-Jaskin ?), we could really do some damage in the QF. The game against the Swiss shall show us if this squad is for real.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
They had a stat on TSN during our game pointing out that none of our guys (except Voracek) are part of the main powerplays in the NHL. The most effective powerplay scorer (from NHL) is Voracek with 4 PP Goals. The second? Filip Chytil with 3 PP Goals.

I really hope to see him not benched again and as the 4C with Repik and Jaskin.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Repik is MVP for me (for now)

Good and successful czech team always had one of this type of players on the roster in history. "smaller sized" player who can play wherever is needed and in every situations PK, PP etc. These players are usually good in breakaways (like today vs AUT for example) and they are hard workers with great leadership. They would die for their team. Straka, Cajanek, Rolinek (in his prime), now Repik...

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 others

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
Why play Bartosak? Isn't Francouz no1 goalie? Any source for this?

Bartosak did all the heavy lifting against Sweden and Russia and was great in both matches. Would be a little weird to just sit him for the rest of the tournament. It's his job to lose.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Zohorna over Chytil is something I just don't understand. I don't like Palat on line 4 either. I'm also not a huge fan that line 3 is completely untouchable. You can either go to line 2 or line 4 because line 3 must not be touched.

I'd be really curious to hear how many other NHL players are benched by the other countries?

It's frustrating because Chytil and Zacha were supposed to be the first 2 NHLers to show up. Zacha backed out and Chytil has been here from the very start. So we bench him.

So Bartosak is getting the 3 hard starts. Wonder who gets the quarter (most likely against US/Canada)?

Loving the team. Enjoying the coach. Not sure if I like the decisions (no Sulak, running 3 goalies, benching Chytil).

I'd add David Vyborny to that list above of ... one of my favourites.

As far as biggest surprise... loving Kubalik and Kovar. I'm curious how Kubalik does next year in the NHL. Imagine if he ends up being a complimentary player with Kane or Toews? Also, it's been a real treat to see Vrana on the national team. He's just so sneaky... everything is quiet and then he scores a beauty goal! Musil has been a nice bonus and I've enjoyed his very solid and simple game. He's always been a very smart player - just from a different generation of Dmen. I've enjoyed Kolar for same reason (also, 2 points in his 100th game for NT). I didn't expect as much as others from Bartosak - he's been very good so far and tomorrow will be a great test. I didn't expect the Frolik-Simon-Voracek line to stick and it has done an amazing job. Voracek is my favourite player and I'm so happy to be able to watch him dominate on line 1.

Reactions: jjnhl68 and Mirinho

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
After Sweden match I have really bad feeling we lose to Switzerland tomorrow and Sweden somehow beats Russia :/

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Chytil scratched? I hope that Riha is just looking for further confirmation that Zohorna should be scratched. If yes, I have no problem with that.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
After Sweden match I have really bad feeling we lose to Switzerland tomorrow and Sweden somehow beats Russia :/
That gives us Finland.... I really don't want a north north american team. Imagine if we lose... The Zohorna who is centre plays a part in it and for the quarter we get chytil/palat/repik on line 4. Silver lining?

Ftr... I don't hate the Zohorna... It is the benching of an nhler that has me upset. I don't think they are bear the quality of chytil but some have argued they are better on penalty kill and that is their main use.

I don't see how theyd be better on penalty kill then palat, faksa or Frolik personally but that might be the reason?

I really wish they'd bring back European championships in middle of season instead of eurohockey tour. Then I could watch all our Euro Czechs and talk about how much I love that Zohorna line!

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
That gives us Finland.... I really don't want a north north american team. Imagine if we lose... The Zohorna who is centre plays a part in it and for the quarter we get chytil/palat/repik on line 4. Silver lining?

That’s what will likely happen though, I would prefer USA honestly, they have much better roster than Canada but they seem much more vulnerable to mistakes, don’t score as many goals as Canada for instance and overall seem unable to find that right chemistry. Canada is looking way better as a team and score many goals against everyone and on almost every PP, because I know Czech penalty record, that would not be good.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I can say Gulas looked completely lost and very slow today. He was far behind Kovar and Kubalik in his line . QF match will have faster pace, what he'll do there? Move him to 4th or replace him with Chytil.

Reactions: Renmar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad