WC: Team CZE - 2019

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
eca602439a9d3a1e1377e04fe69143c2.jpg
search

Official roster is:

G:
Pavel Francouz (Colorado, NHL)
Patrik Bartošák (HC VÍTKOVICE RIDERA), Šimon Hrubec (HC Oceláři Třinec).

D:
Radko Gudas (Philadelphia, NHL),
Jan Rutta (Tampa Bay, NHL),
Filip Hronek (Detroit, NHL),
David Sklenička (Laval, AHL),
Michal Moravčík (HC Škoda Plzeň),
Jan Kolář (Chabarovsk, KHL),
Petr Zámorský (Mountfield HK),
David Musil (HC Oceláři Třinec).

F:
Jakub Voráček (Philadelphia, NHL),
Ondřej Palát (Tampa Bay, NHL),
Michael Frolík (Calgary, NHL),
Dominik Simon (Pittsburgh, NHL),
Dmitrij Jaškin (Washington, NHL),
Jakub Vrána (Washington, NHL),
Filip Chytil (New York, Rangers, NHL),
Robin Hanzl (Spartak Moskva, KHL),
Michal Řepík (Podolsk, KHL),
Tomáš Zohorna (Chabarovsk, KHL),
Dominik Kubalík (Ambri-Piotta, SUI),
David Tomášek (Jyväskylä, Finsko),
Hynek Zohorna (Lahti, Finsko),
Jan Kovář (HC Škoda Plzeň),
Radek Faksa (Dallas Stars, NHL).

Last edited:
Reactions: McCoy

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I hate Pavel Zacha... 3 years in a row!
I don't. It is such a unique case it's difficult to say who is to blame. If he doesn't see the pride in national team though, no need to force him. It hurts our team just as much it hurts him as a player.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Any idea which NHLers are coming? Lots of Czech's in the playoffs.

Available would be:
Neuvirth

Gudas
Sustr

Voracek
Chytil
Sobotka
Kampf
Zacha
Chlapik

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't. It is such a unique case it's difficult to say who is to blame. If he doesn't see the pride in national team though, no need to force him. It hurts our team just as much it hurts him as a player.
I agree with the 'if he doesn't want to play' part. I do think they should stop asking him. But going back to the Dad complaining on Facebook about playing time and such. Then the NJ coaches also complaining about him. There is always some kind of 'miscommunication'. He strikes me is a prima donna and most of the Czechs in the NHL are known to have great character and be very hard working. Then there is Pavel.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Any idea which NHLers are coming? Lots of Czech's in the playoffs.

Available would be:
Neuvirth

Gudas
Sustr

Voracek
Chytil
Sobotka
Kampf
Zacha
Chlapik

Neuvirth is injured and has no contract - unlikely.
Gudas I think will show up.
I don't think the national team likes Sustr very much.
Chytil is on his way.
I don't think Sobotka has a contract.
I hope Kampf comes but not sure.
Zacha said he was coming, was told he had to try out (instead of being given a spot) and then was injured despite scoring a highlight reel goal on the final day of the NHL season (beautiful goal)
Chlapik is in the AHL but wouldn't be an impact guy.

Most importantly is Hronek who got shipped to the AHL despite having an amazing end to the season. That one pissed me off. Same with Necas who will be on a very strong AHL team.

Also, our D got decimated... Hajek finally was making waves in the NHL - out for season. Simek was established as a very good D - our for season. Kempny is probably our best one - out for season. I know 2 were in the playoffs but it is amazing how many got hurt after finally establishing themselves.

Rutta is going to be on a bench as well. Francouz is in the AHL with Kaut as well.

The AHL has half our starters it seems.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I hope Voracek will play with Kubalik. Voracek can make deadly passes a Kubalik is godlike sniper. Add some defensive center to this line and we have excellent 1st line :nod:

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Zacha said he was coming, was told he had to try out (instead of being given a spot) and then was injured despite scoring a highlight reel goal on the final day of the NHL season (beautiful goal)

Zacha did miss a couple games a month or so ago after coming back from his lengthy injury.

Is he healthy enough to play? Probably. But I would imagine rest would be helpful as well. If what you say is true, seems like he's just using the injury as more of an excuse if he's offended by not having a spot.

I would've liked to see him here though in a scoring role. Curious to see if he could carry over his success to end the Devils season.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Zacha did miss a couple games a month or so ago after coming back from his lengthy injury.

Is he healthy enough to play? Probably. But I would imagine rest would be helpful as well. If what you say is true, seems like he's just using the injury as more of an excuse if he's offended by not having a spot.

I would've liked to see him here though in a scoring role. Curious to see if he could carry over his success to end the Devils season.

Atleast he apologized himself very fast and before the start of "pretournament" phase. I always hate when players are excusing like: ... I must take one more week for making a decision, I'll call to GM of National team next friday etc.

I want to play or not that's all.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
This is nothing but a speculation. Zacha never really said anything, the coaches just invited him to the camp. I doubt he refused to go just because he wouldn't be guaranteed a spot. If that is the case, he must have no self-confidence at all

Zacha simply has no reason to play for a country that did him no favours, even though he was seen as an elite prospect at the time. In his junior days it was different, junior national teams needed him and he needed to show on the international scene in order to get drafted high. Not anymore.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
The Griffins are in jeopardy of not making the playoffs which would make Hronek and Zadina eligible.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
The Griffins are in jeopardy of not making the playoffs which would make Hronek and Zadina eligible.
I think Hronek won't play for Griffins anymore, and to be 2nd defenseman (after Gudas) in very solid world team will be more for him than playing in AHL. Zadina won't be impact player. To be honest I can live without him this year on WC, but I'll be pleased if he'll join pretournament phase and prove he is eligible to play.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is nothing but a speculation. Zacha never really said anything, the coaches just invited him to the camp. I doubt he refused to go just because he wouldn't be guaranteed a spot. If that is the case, he must have no self-confidence at all

Zacha simply has no reason to play for a country that did him no favours, even though he was seen as an elite prospect at the time. In his junior days it was different, junior national teams needed him and he needed to show on the international scene in order to get drafted high. Not anymore.
Byl to svátek pro Znojmo i pro hráče, hlásí Říha. Omluvenku Zachy nechápe | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

Did I read it wrong? I fully admit my reading of Czech is open to misinterpretation:

Před utkáním se Miloš Říha dozvěděl, že do přípravy na mistrovství světa nenastoupí Pavel Zacha. Útočník New Jersey byl očekáván v pondělí v Karlových Varech, ovšem omluvil se ze zdravotních příčin. „Já to nechápu. Může si protáhnout sezonu, ještě mu jeho budoucí trenér řekne, ať přijede do kempu, a on se omluví," reaguje Říha. O skutečných důvodech Zachy nespekuluje. „Poslední zápasy NHL hrál, asi to nebylo tak vážné. Je to spíš otázka na něj, ale asi ho nějak překvapilo, že jsme mu nedali žádnou jistotu," uzavírá Říha.

I guess you could say the coach is also speculating but there is always, always some issue with Zacha. The last time he showed for Czechs and was impressive was his first U18. After that always an injury, a poor performance or a declined invitation. He's had similar problems with NJ where the coaches told him what he had to do.. he didn't do it, they benched him and then he went to media saying he has no idea what they expect. He strikes me as a prima dona. I want to love him because he's from Brno and a big Centre.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Byl to svátek pro Znojmo i pro hráče, hlásí Říha. Omluvenku Zachy nechápe | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

Did I read it wrong? I fully admit my reading of Czech is open to misinterpretation:

Před utkáním se Miloš Říha dozvěděl, že do přípravy na mistrovství světa nenastoupí Pavel Zacha. Útočník New Jersey byl očekáván v pondělí v Karlových Varech, ovšem omluvil se ze zdravotních příčin. „Já to nechápu. Může si protáhnout sezonu, ještě mu jeho budoucí trenér řekne, ať přijede do kempu, a on se omluví," reaguje Říha. O skutečných důvodech Zachy nespekuluje. „Poslední zápasy NHL hrál, asi to nebylo tak vážné. Je to spíš otázka na něj, ale asi ho nějak překvapilo, že jsme mu nedali žádnou jistotu," uzavírá Říha.

I guess you could say the coach is also speculating but there is always, always some issue with Zacha. The last time he showed for Czechs and was impressive was his first U18. After that always an injury, a poor performance or a declined invitation. He's had similar problems with NJ where the coaches told him what he had to do.. he didn't do it, they benched him and then he went to media saying he has no idea what they expect. He strikes me as a prima dona. I want to love him because he's from Brno and a big Centre.

It is again statement vs statement. On Zacha sr. websites you can read a different version of the story. This is kind of neverending issue Zacha vs Czech association and I think we know next to nothing about all the things that has happened there. I'm not taking any side but I don't want to blindlessly get on that "Zacha-hate" bandwagon.

What I really don't like on this is that Riha statement. Even if their version of the story was entirely truthful, there is no need to discredit the player like this in media. It's just a cheap shot on an easy target because he knows how the public perceive the whole Zacha problem. Can you then wonder that the kid doesn't have any interest to represent? I actually think there is a big possibility he will never play a single game for Czech team ever. And I think I won't even blame him for that.

Reactions: Wooren

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Hronek won't play for Griffins anymore, and to be 2nd defenseman (after Gudas) in very solid world team will be more for him than playing in AHL. Zadina won't be impact player. To be honest I can live without him this year on WC, but I'll be pleased if he'll join pretournament phase and prove he is eligible to play.

Griffins aren't doing great but they could lose both their games (maybe one now) and still make playoffs. It'd have to be a crazy set of circumstances.

Not sure if Sulak is hurt but I'd love him on our blue line with Gudas and Hronek.

Zadina - I've got nothing but time for him, definitely want him on team if he is available. He led all teenagers in goals in the AHL. In fact 3 of the Top 4 teenagers in AHL scoring were Kaut, Zadina and Necas. We might have a bronze generation growing.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It is again statement vs statement. On Zacha sr. websites you can read a different version of the story. This is kind of neverending issue Zacha vs Czech association and I think we know next to nothing about all the things that has happened there. I'm not taking any side but I don't want to blindlessly get on that "Zacha-hate" bandwagon.

What I really don't like on this is that Riha statement. Even if their version of the story was entirely truthful, there is no need to discredit the player like this in media. It's just a cheap shot on an easy target because he knows how the public perceive the whole Zacha problem. Can you then wonder that the kid doesn't have any interest to represent? I actually think there is a big possibility he will never play a single game for Czech team ever. And I think I won't even blame him for that.
I don't know.. I feel like Zacha Sr is a big problem. I've never heard Mr. Crosby say things in the media? Mr. McDavid? How about Mr. Jagr?

I don't think Zacha will ever suit up for us either. However, I think at least half that is on him.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Glad we won in shootout but Kovar looked terrible in shootout... Hanzl is ridiculous in shootouts. I hope Kubalik has a very strong tournament for us... he was basically promised an opening roster spot in Chicago by Bowman. I hope them getting pick 3 doesn't change that.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Griffins aren't doing great but they could lose both their games (maybe one now) and still make playoffs. It'd have to be a crazy set of circumstances.

Not sure if Sulak is hurt but I'd love him on our blue line with Gudas and Hronek.

Zadina - I've got nothing but time for him, definitely want him on team if he is available. He led all teenagers in goals in the AHL. In fact 3 of the Top 4 teenagers in AHL scoring were Kaut, Zadina and Necas. We might have a bronze generation growing.

Yeah, adding Sulak to the team would be great in terms of physicality - he's playing with a lot of energy and grit. :thumbu:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Zacha seems to be for the Czechs what Puljujärvi is to the Finns?

I've made the trade suggestion before... trade Zacha for Puljujarvi and maybe both benefit from change of scenery. In Zacha's case he's doing better because he has established himself as a good 3C who can kill penalties. Jesse (I'm a big Oiler's fan) hasn't established himself anywhere... not as a scorer or a defensive minded player. The Oil destroy prospects so I feel bad for Jesse. I maintain if he'd spent an extra season in Finland after his draft, none of this would be happening. Maybe come over and start in the AHL for a month after that as well. Instead, they toss him in right away and give him 10 minutes a night with AHL quality players and complain he didn't score.

From a national team perspective - the Finns are so deep in young amazing talent that Jesse not panning out will not hurt your national team at all. The Czechs need Zacha to become a big dominant player and A: he hasn't and b: he won't even play for us.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, adding Sulak to the team would be great in terms of physicality - he's playing with a lot of energy and grit. :thumbu:

The Griffins ended up getting destroyed in last 2 games but still made playoffs. Hoping for a sweep so some Czechs (and Rybar) can come to the World's. Hronek, Sulak, Zadina and Frk could all help. I know they cut Frk very quickly last year but he's not that bad at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->