WC: Team CZE - 2019

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Not a good game today. I was missing the energy from the previous two games. But it's no tragedy, we played great so far. We just need to stay calm, look at the mistakes we did and fix it. Now focus on the games againts Latvia/Austria/Italy/Switzerland and made no unnecessary comlication in our way. And if we play like againts Sweden in QF, I think we can beat all the teams from the other group. And hopefully we will have a chance to repay againts Russia (SF/F). Češi do toho!

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
We just left murderers row (Sweden, Norway, Russia) with 2 wins and a loss. Great start.

My only big concern is the powerplay (like voodooz said). Need to get that clicking. I'm not sure what is wrong with it as I like the players we have out there. I don't see Faksa solving the powerplay for us. Krejci/Pastrnak are up 2-0 so I don't see them coming... if they lost 4 straight they still wouldn't make Swiss game on Tuesday morning and, at best, arrive on Wednesday before Thursdays quarter final.

Latvia and Swiss will be very hard matches. Swiss game could have a lot on the line.

2 Day break and some reinforcements coming.

Reactions: Chevx

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Suprising news about Gulaš. He definitely have his quality, but he didn't play for month. I hope it's good decision, I can imagine line Kubalík - Kovář - Gulaš, we will see.

Reactions: Chevx

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Face offs and power plays were the worst I've seen in years. But the rest of the game was very good. Fair result would be 3:2 maybe 4:2 for Russia. Bartosak was perfect. I would even say we had more 100% chances than Russians. But their average shot on the goal was miles better than our shot. In this skill (shooting) we were like junior team vs team of pro veteran players.

I'm proud of our boys for only 4 penalty minutes (and both penalties were only minor mistakes). Against Russia only 4min? It's like miracle.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
How's your PP lines? Haven't seen any games after against Sweden which I watched one eye open.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
How's your PP lines? Haven't seen any games after against Sweden which I watched one eye open.
Frolík - Simon - Voráček
Gudas - Hronek

Palát - Chytil - Jaškin
Moravčík - Rutta

or

Kubalík - Kovář - Řepík
Vrána - Rutta

Chevx

Jul 5, 2017
Planet Earth
Suprising news about Gulaš. He definitely have his quality, but he didn't play for month. I hope it's good decision, I can imagine line Kubalík - Kovář - Gulaš, we will see.
From what Říha said is that he's gonna skate and they may consider him. Though 3rd and 4th lines Gulaš Kovář Kubalík and Jaškin Faksa Řepík/Zohorna would've seemed good before the tournament, lots of chemistry was bounded in those three important games and adding two half-injured players is quite strange.

But looks like coaches know what they want so far so I'll let them do their job, hopefully it brings success eventually.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
From what Říha said is that he's gonna skate and they may consider him. Though 3rd and 4th lines Gulaš Kovář Kubalík and Jaškin Faksa Řepík/Zohorna would've seemed good before the tournament, lots of chemistry was bounded in those three important games and adding two half-injured players is quite strange.

But looks like coaches know what they want so far so I'll let them do their job, hopefully it brings success eventually.

I don't get the Gulas thing at all personally. I 'think' they want a Plsen line of Kubalik/Kovar/Gulas and that is the motivation?

Faksa is %50 Faceoff man as well. He could help out in that area for us.

I agree we don't want to mess with chemistry too much. SJ lost last night so I don't think we'll see any of Voracek/Pastrnak/Hertl before the Quarter Finals and I'm 50/50 on bringing in superstars for one game. I feel it fails more than works.

I've liked what Riha has done and have really enjoyed watching the team play so far. I do think it was silly to play Hrubec and commit to three goalies as Mrazek (UFA) might still become available before the weekend. Could've maybe had Mrazek/Bartosak/Francouz to choose from. Yes, I know he got lit up the other night.lol

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I don't get the Gulas thing at all personally. I 'think' they want a Plsen line of Kubalik/Kovar/Gulas and that is the motivation?

Faksa is %50 Faceoff man as well. He could help out in that area for us.

I agree we don't want to mess with chemistry too much. SJ lost last night so I don't think we'll see any of Voracek/Pastrnak/Hertl before the Quarter Finals and I'm 50/50 on bringing in superstars for one game. I feel it fails more than works.

I've liked what Riha has done and have really enjoyed watching the team play so far. I do think it was silly to play Hrubec and commit to three goalies as Mrazek (UFA) might still become available before the weekend. Could've maybe had Mrazek/Bartosak/Francouz to choose from. Yes, I know he got lit up the other night.lol

I've never really had the chance to see Gulas play, but from what I've read throughout the WC preparation it seemed that he was a key player. Also he wasn't really lucky in the past, having missed several WC's due to injuries. So maybe Rihas reasoning was to give him a shot.

I don't think Pasta/Krejci will be available at all, as they seem so close and determined to win the Stanley Cup with Boston this year. However I would actually prefer them winning the Stanley Cup. The only player I could see coming over at a later stage in the tournament is Hertl, since SJS-STL seems to be the more even match-up, compared to BOS-CAR.

Faksa surely will help us out a lot with his shutdown quality.

I don't know what is its, but somehow I feel more comfortable with Riha than the previous national team coaches. I do find his coaching style entertaining at times - finally there is someone, who isn't shy with expressing his emotions :)

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I think Pasta is playing injured. Since his hand injury before play off he isn't 100% fit. If Boston will be eliminated (he won't pass medical anyway...)

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I've never really had the chance to see Gulas play, but from what I've read throughout the WC preparation it seemed that he was a key player. Also he wasn't really lucky in the past, having missed several WC's due to injuries. So maybe Rihas reasoning was to give him a shot.

I don't think Pasta/Krejci will be available at all, as they seem so close and determined to win the Stanley Cup with Boston this year. However I would actually prefer them winning the Stanley Cup. The only player I could see coming over at a later stage in the tournament is Hertl, since SJS-STL seems to be the more even match-up, compared to BOS-CAR.

Faksa surely will help us out a lot with his shutdown quality.

I don't know what is its, but somehow I feel more comfortable with Riha than the previous national team coaches. I do find his coaching style entertaining at times - finally there is someone, who isn't shy with expressing his emotions :)
Looking at the schedule:

Schedule | May 14, 2019 ET

Is SJ loses next 3 straight then Hertl would be available Monday - maybe he makes the Swiss game (which is a 6am start in EST)? If they lose in 6 games he'd play Tuesday night (after Swiss game) and be available Wednesday to fly in to Bratislava and suit up on first line (without a practice) for Thursday.

I definitely enjoy this team.. even if know one else comes... I'm very excited about Faksa and Francouz. I do think people are underestimating Faksa's offence. Bears repeating.. he's 50% FO and outscored both Simon and Chytil in the NHL this season. The fact he's better at shutting down makes him an even better candidate for our 1C IMO. Guess we'll see... his offence did look rough at last year's World's.

Imagine him as our 3C behind Krejci/Hertl... that's legit Centre depth I don't feel we've had in awhile.. then toss in a Chytil, Necas, Sobotka, Simon etc. for the 4C spot.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Petr Zámorský and Milan Gulaš added on roster. And with Faksa all right, the team seems to be complete. David Tomášek probably won't make it.

Also forward lines on today practice (with Faksa in it)

Frolík - Simon - Voráček
Palát - Faksa - Vrána
Kubalík - Kovář - Řepík
H. Zohorna - T. Zohorna - Jaškin

Chytil and Gulaš in blue.

Edit: Faksa added on roster instead of Gulaš. The last spot take either Gulaš or Tomášek.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Petr Zámorský and Milan Gulaš added on roster. And with Faksa all right, the team seems to be complete. David Tomášek probably won't make it.

Also forward lines on today practice (with Faksa in it)

Frolík - Simon - Voráček
Palát - Faksa - Vrána
Kubalík - Kovář - Řepík
H. Zohorna - T. Zohorna - Jaškin

Chytil and Gulaš in blue.

Edit: Faksa added on roster instead of Gulaš. The last spot take either Gulaš or Tomášek.

Chytil hurt?

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
No, he is okay. He should play as 13th forward vs Latvia.
FFS... I feel that Riha had a dream and woke up in the middle of the night with a new plan! Needs more Extraliga vets! He probably called Gulas at 3am - 'come Milan, I'll bench an NHLer for you'!

I know Milan hasn't been added yet but it's coming.

In case it isn't noticed, I'm a big Chytil fan and have thought he looked very good in first 3 games.

This trend of adding an old Extraliga guy (Nedved comes to mind) also needs to go. I understood when it was Jagr but we tend to bring in guys about 10 years past their prime (Rucinsky, Erat, Nedved, I think we asked Straka a lot) and put them in Top 6 and powerplay.

In this case, Gulas isn't even close to be a great veteran. He bounced around Europe and was never really a huge success in any league but Extraliga. It's Zatovic all over again.

Need more Extraliga!

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Bartosak confirmed for tomorrow.. I think the Latvia game is going to be really tough. Anyone notice the Swiss are on top of our pool or the complete chaos in the other pool?

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Bartosak confirmed for tomorrow.. I think the Latvia game is going to be really tough. Anyone notice the Swiss are on top of our pool or the complete chaos in the other pool?

Swiss had easiest opponents, they will have rough finish though, but the way they play they can beat us and play close games against SWE and Russia.

In other group, USA play really badly even GB is dominating them now, Canada already has 3 injuries, Finland has worst team in last 15 years, but like every year they play great team game. Germany has talented team this year, but like Switzerland they had easy opponents first.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
FFS... I feel that Riha had a dream and woke up in the middle of the night with a new plan! Needs more Extraliga vets! He probably called Gulas at 3am - 'come Milan, I'll bench an NHLer for you'!

I know Milan hasn't been added yet but it's coming.

In case it isn't noticed, I'm a big Chytil fan and have thought he looked very good in first 3 games.

This trend of adding an old Extraliga guy (Nedved comes to mind) also needs to go. I understood when it was Jagr but we tend to bring in guys about 10 years past their prime (Rucinsky, Erat, Nedved, I think we asked Straka a lot) and put them in Top 6 and powerplay.

In this case, Gulas isn't even close to be a great veteran. He bounced around Europe and was never really a huge success in any league but Extraliga. It's Zatovic all over again.

Need more Extraliga!

I thought Chytil looked pretty good so far, he's a young kid, they should use him as much as they can againts the weaker opponents, so he can score some goals and get the much needed confidence. Confidence is all these young guys need to get going....

I'm biased about Gulas but i don't think he's just a 'next Extraliga guy', he was actually a top 10 SHL scorer for 3 straight years - that's a great league. And he is by far the best player Extraliga has to offer at the moment, even if he's 33. Sweden changed his style of play dramatically, he's a much better skater now than he was in his 20s :laugh: , plays a gritty, aggresive game and can play alongside Kovar blindfolded. If he's healthy and good to go, put him right in, that PP can't get any worse.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I thought Chytil looked pretty good so far, he's a young kid, they should use him as much as they can againts the weaker opponents, so he can score some goals and get the much needed confidence. Confidence is all these young guys need to get going....

I'm biased about Gulas but i don't think he's just a 'next Extraliga guy', he was actually a top 10 SHL scorer for 3 straight years - that's a great league. And he is by far the best player Extraliga has to offer at the moment, even if he's 33. Sweden changed his style of play dramatically, he's a much better skater now than he was in his 20s :laugh: , plays a gritty, aggresive game and can play alongside Kovar blindfolded. If he's healthy and good to go, put him right in, that PP can't get any worse.

I see a 33 year old guy playing in the Extraliga and making national team and I cringe a bit.lol Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's the salt of the earth. I've been watching this kind of player on our national team for a decade now, I just never see them score much and bringing in another one to improve offence is crazy to me. I understand if other's disagree. Honestly has nothing against Gulas himself.

Chytil is one of our best skaters and tilts the ice in the right direction. I can understand he might not be a great Centre like Hertl or Krejci yet. However, there is a real easy solution for struggling Centre's - put them on the Wing. This is where Chytil spent most the season anyway. Surely he could do a better job on wing if faceoffs are the big issue. Putting him to 13 is stupid.

I remember, vividly, a few years ago we had Hertl and did the 13th forward thing to him too! We didn't win then either. Just seems to be a Czech theme.. move down NHLers and move up Extraliger's.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
We have scored 19 goals and Hronek must be close to leading in D scoring. Today's chippy win should go a long way in securing a quarter final berth! Swedes are coming on strong and I still believe they could beat Russia and we could win the group in a 3 way tie.

Really not enjoying the Zohorna's or Moravcik at all. I'd much rather Chytil and Sulak on the ice.

Musil has played well and been a nice surprise.

Loving Kovar, Bartosak and Kubalik!

I better see Chytil play tomorrow!

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Lets start with 10+ goals against Italy!
Here's hoping! I assume Francouz in net and a lot of goals. It's the only game where I'm not too worried about a nailbiter so expect us to lose 5-0.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad