Speculation: Taylor Hall Trade Brewing

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
had Edge on the podcast today. What’d you do other than sit on a message board.
Same thing as you and everyone else on this site, apologizes I am not a fan of your boy!

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Its been 1 game. Have u looked at Liljegren's past 3 years? He had a good AHL year, that doesnt matter anymore. They didnt draft Liljegren to have decent AHL years. Have u seen him at the last couple of camps and preseason? The NHL game is chaos for Liljegren, I do not see him playing over 100 games in the NHL for his career. I think he gets moved and maybe gets a sample somewhere else. Ive isolated on Liljegren, he works hard and has good skating but can not adjust to the lack of time and space and how smart everyone is. His reads and decision making, feel for the game is lacking.

In time, you'll see how wrong this is.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
And to further this point, the Leafs and Sabres are both at the cap. So the trade has to be 8 million dollars out for 8 million in. So we trade Nylander and Engvall for Hall, yeah no hard pass.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
$4,620,347
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sabres have the space to make it work at the deadline.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This feels like aiming too high. We'd be spending all our possible cap, if it works at all, to bolster 1 position when ideally we could probably use a couple bodies. Also he might just be more of the same really. We have loads of skill up front, I feel like we are still mostly looking for the right mix of players between what we have and possible adds. I think a defensive minded 3c and another hyman-like LWer (with some scoring touch) would be better

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yup we have skill im spades... need more depth grinders and posession guys.

That's the funny thing.. Hall is a possession guy. He's always been a positive xGF vs. xGA, despite playing on crap teams. He's a physical power forward.. though he's toned that down over the career, due to repeated injuries.. though my expectations would be he'd ramp that up the deeper we'd go.

I really can't understand why people think getting a fourth line depth grinder, is going to make a bigger difference than a guy on the second line. Somehow, the key to this teams success, is a 10 minute a game guy, over a 16 minute a game guy????

Reactions: Kurtz

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I fail to see the logic that would connect the Leafs to a need for a top line winger ...

They already have Marner and Nylander and already have 4 X F using 1/2 their salary cap, so I can't see adding a $8 mil winger (prorated for games played) and with zero cap space to accommodate it.

You would essentially need to have Cap OUT and Cap IN numbers offset.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This feels like aiming too high. We'd be spending all our possible cap, if it works at all, to bolster 1 position when ideally we could probably use a couple bodies. Also he might just be more of the same really. We have loads of skill up front, I feel like we are still mostly looking for the right mix of players between what we have and possible adds. I think a defensive minded 3c and another hyman-like LWer (with some scoring touch) would be better

One C who could be available is Erik Haula. He's good in the dot, effective on the PK, and is being used very heavily in the Defensive zone.. not physical, or the biggest guy. Nashville is struggling, and he's likely to be available. He'd cost a 3rd probably, with 50% retention... he wouldn't cost anything against the cap, if we move a body. He's produced decently well in the playoffs.

Sam Bennet... well, that's a difficult one. I'm not sure he's a NHL C, though he's been decent in the playoffs as one... chance in scenery?? Call me sceptical... but if you trade for him at 50%, move Kerfoot, and trade for Hall at the deadline at 50%, you have the cap room.... Really, we could probably bring in a C with around a $5 mil contract, if some retains 50%... of course, that costs assets too... but it could be done... who is this defensive 3C people want?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I fail to see the logic that would connect the Leafs to a need for a top line winger ...

They already have Marner and Nylander and already have 4 X F using 1/2 their salary cap, so I can't see adding a $8 mil winger (prorated for games played) and with zero cap space to accommodate it.

You would essentially meed to have Cap OUT and Cap IN numbers offset.

Too much talent is bad?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Here’s a player that most wouldn’t think of , now if he could get his shhhhhh together mentally and correct any off ice possible challenges he may have ?? Which I’m really not certain about .
Evander Kane ..
Boy oh boy wouldn’t he look great on our second line ..
Tough , strong , skating ability and with scoring ability and can drop the gloves ..
I know he’s had his problems ? but if if if
Hm the possibilities would be awesome

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Here’s a player that most wouldn’t think of , now if he could get his shhhhhh together mentally and correct any off ice possible challenges he may have ?? Which I’m really not certain about .
Evander Kane ..
Tough , strong , skating ability and with scoring ability and can drop the gloves ..
Too many issues... unfortunately, although I agree he would be great in terms of skillset

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Never a bad thing, but there's only so much talent you can have when a salary cap is in place. Can't see any trade happening unless Nylander goes out the other way which, at that point, I'd rather keep the cheaper and younger Nylander.

Yet, depending on who we are talking about, and when... the cap can work... including Hall, without Nylander going the other way.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Evander Kane ..

I like the positives of what Kane brings, but Nylander goes the other way.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
In a cap world yes. Imagine the Firestorm after committing 50 mill ish to 5 players. Thats just not smart and leaves you with no wiggle room for depth. We also have Mo and Freddie or their possible replacements to take into consideration too

I mean.. this thread is talking about trading for a rental player. Why does the term "committing" even come into play, or discussions about contracts for the year after?

Reactions: Kurtz

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wrong, wrong and wrong.
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
$4,620,347
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sabres have the space to make it work at the deadline.

Sabres have room, Leafs won't have room for Hall.
Cap Friendly has Leafs with room for a 130k contract at TDL.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Hall Matthews Marner
Hyman Tavares Nylander

:popcorn:

If Hall is indeed coming id rather see

Joe-AM-Marner
Hall-JT-Willie
Hyman-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Boyd-Spezza-Robertson

Thats a tough forward roster from top to bottom.

Yes no soup sadly as hes playing himself out of a job when it comes to producing offensively. Him and Pierre have the same issues. Fast and good pk...but little offense.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I mean.. this thread is talking about trading for a rental player. Why does the term "committing" even come into play, or discussions about contracts for the year after?

I find it hard to believe they would trade for a year of Hall and then let him walk. Especially given what some think will be needed to get him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
In a cap world yes. Imagine the Firestorm after committing 50 mill ish to 5 players. Thats just not smart and leaves you with no wiggle room for depth. We also have Mo and Freddie or their possible replacements to take into consideration too

Not in my world where you can trade such talent and stay under the cap. Heck you might even have to trade one of the four at some point.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Not in my world where you can trade such talent and stay under the cap. Heck you might even have to trade one of the four at some point.

Crest on the front not the name on the back... agreed.
At this point Id trade JT away if there is need to make room. But thats at least a year or three away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad