Speculation: Taylor Hall Trade Brewing

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Getting Hall isn't crazy but it seems a stretch. First off he needs to be 50% retained which ups the price. If Dubas can make Kerfoot+ the center piece of the trade it does allow more flexibility next year from both a Cap and Expansion point of view. It however is your last major move. Should that be a D? I wouldn't mind another top 4 Dman in case of injury. There is talk of a guy like Granlund.

We're already down our 3rd and 7th rounders, I kind of want to keep that first (for a C/D or even a G if there's one worth it) but I guess it's tradable, Dubas has managed to draft in the first round every year but the Robertson draft which worked out as if he did. He is probably willing to trade the pick but I have to think our top 4 prospects are off the table. We need those cheap contracts and control going forward.

Kerfoot+1rst round pick+non top 4 prospect would make the most sense. If we cut much deeper I'm not sure it makes any kind of sense. Maybe we could part with a 2nd in 22 but again is this the guy you want to go all in for?

I'm not convinced. It would be exciting as hell and he'd be the best left winger I can remember since Andeychuck (who was a different kind of player) but is offense our problem? We are 2nd in goals right now, 2nd in powerplay but our penalty kill is just below the league average. I think it makes more sense to sort out that penalty kill and that may require trading Kerfoot for a different kind of C and we might add a winger. That sounds cheaper and more important but I wouldn't hate it either, it would be fun.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
had Edge on the podcast today. What’d you do other than sit on a message board.

Jeez don't take it so personally. Steve Dangle isn't an insider and also I don't blame anyone for disliking his clown act, screaming dumb lowest denomanotor "entertainment." A loud equals funny brand probably doesn't appeal to anyone other than children.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can't see it working capwise.

There'll probably target a guy making 2-4 million and get the other team to retain.

Even at 50% retention hes still making 4 million

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

There'll probably target a guy making 2-4 million and get the other team to retain.

Kerfoot would have to be going the other way. Trade for Hall, extend and trade Nylander this summer ??

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Jeez don't take it so personally. Steve Dangle isn't an insider and also I don't blame anyone for disliking his clown act, screaming dumb lowest denomanotor "entertainment." A loud equals funny brand probably doesn't appeal to anyone other than children.

Thats more then a bit of a stretch. Hes made his mark being a leaf fanboy. Any of us would take his job in a heartbeat.
Hes done a LOT of charity work with the league. A legit good guy and a fun conversation away from the cameras.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I can't see them extending Hall, so its probably a non-starter.

He can be a winner for 6 M/Year, I am pretty sure his agent hangs up. :laugh:

Reactions: ToneDog

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

Yeah, but Kerfoot makes 3.5.

It's doable. I still wouldn't do it though, if it involves a 1st or a high value prospect.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
His podcast is different than his youtube schtick persona. I personally find both entertaining, but prefer the podcast.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They need a goalie. If they are moving Willie out then the money starts to work and Hall offers more, but Freddie looks like Sparks this year. Any forward they look at won't stop pucks for them. Spend those assets on Kuemper and send Freddy to the Marlies.

Reactions: The Cobra

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Its doable but then you can't really extend Hall next year.
There is this cap thing.
It would almost assuredly be a rental. For the right price, might be worth it. But I can't see why Buffalo would do it for the price I'd be willing to pay.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
They need a goalie. If they are moving Willie out then the money starts to work and Hall offers more, but Freddie looks like Sparks this year. Any forward they look at won't stop pucks for them. Spend those assets on Kuemper and send Freddy to the Marlies.

If we knew what kind of contracts would be given out this summer in FA, we would have a better idea of what to do. There was a lot of bargain bins this past summer.

I don't think Freddie is getting extended because he won't want a pay cut.
Even if they can shave a million with Freddie in salary, they need to sign Hyman.

Hall has to take a deal where he becomes more cap efficient than other pieces the Leafs have.
And I don't see him agreeing to that but who knows maybe he has no offers again. Look at Hoffman and the Blues.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
It would almost assuredly be a rental. For the right price, might be worth it. But I can't see why Buffalo would do it for the price I'd be willing to pay.

The Sabres are not going anywhere so they will sell for whatever they can get. Hall has an NMC so he will dictate where he goes. I just can't see the Leafs being interested because they can't bring him back next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad