Speculation: Taylor Hall Trade Brewing

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I see us being interested, closer to the deadline. But why would we give up a bigger package than what Arizona paid last year? Some of these proposals are ridiculous overpays.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Though he’s retired now, Justin Williams would be more of that veteran leader and clutch savvy playoff competitor we need to support the kids with. Taylor Hall doesn’t necessarily check any of those boxes but would be the big name brand. I’m not completely against Taylor Hall at all but it would seem like he would be a big splash without the impact, in all likelihood.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
taylor hall trade has so many layers to being able to get done. It would cost a kings ransom, and by the time financially we likely could swing a deal for Taylor to make the cap work (around TDL), + his 14 day quarantine period thereafter, we may end up with him for less than 20 games if we stumble in the playoffs....again.

I respect peoples desire to go for it, and Taylor would certainly be doing that. I just cannot rationallize giving up a very good young player in Timmy, for 20 games of Hall

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Mentioned on the Steve Dangle Pod.....goes along with the Elliot Friedman take on the Leafs getting a top 6 winger....

Thoughts? Discuss...

My thought would be we could do something like

Kerfoot, Liljegren, Engvall and a 1st/2nd for Hall
That's an overpay for a UFA that's not doing much.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Though he’s retired now, Justin Williams would be more of that veteran leader and clutch savvy playoff competitor we need to support the kids with. Taylor Hall doesn’t necessarily check any of those boxes but would be the big name brand. I’m not completely against Taylor Hall at all but it would seem like he would be a big splash without the impact, in all likelihood.
Leafs have enough versions of Justin Williams now. Hall would be a legit top line winger.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
You wouldn’t take Hall over Nylander ?
Both have challenges
But boy oh boy if it was a choice , I would take Hall in a Leaf minute

Are we considering age and contracts? Because Nylander's on a great deal signed for 3 more years and is only 24.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
None of Spezza, Thornton or Simmonds has the cup winning pedigree of a Justin Williams.

That doesn't mean they can't help as much if not more than a Williams. Point is how many of those types of vets do you need? It would be much better to get a top line winger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That doesn't mean they can't help as much if not more than a Williams. Point is how many of those types of vets do you need? It would be much better to get a top line winger

My point is we still need a Justin Williams because we still lack big game winning experience. Not a big a splash at the deadline that’s good for the hype machine but under performs. Taylor Hall would be a fun add but he’s been a disappointment on 3 teams in two seasons now and I don’t think he’s the finishing piece.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
My point is we still need a Justin Williams because we still lack big game winning experience. Not a big a splash at the deadline that’s good for the hype machine but under performs. Taylor Hall would be a fun add but he’s been a disappointment on 3 teams in two seasons now and I don’t think he’s the finishing piece.

You don't need big game winning experience to win a cup. Hall has 0 playoff success and I'd grab him in a nanosecond, You win with talent.

Reactions: The Apologist

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Its been 1 game. Have u looked at Liljegren's past 3 years? He had a good AHL year, that doesnt matter anymore. They didnt draft Liljegren to have decent AHL years. Have u seen him at the last couple of camps and preseason? The NHL game is chaos for Liljegren, I do not see him playing over 100 games in the NHL for his career. I think he gets moved and maybe gets a sample somewhere else. Ive isolated on Liljegren, he works hard and has good skating but can not adjust to the lack of time and space and how smart everyone is. His reads and decision making, feel for the game is lacking.
This would be one of the posts I’d bookmark to look back on later; but, I’ll be honest, I’ll never do that.
Lili has been extremely good at the AHL level and is very important next year and moving forward.
There is no more important prospect in the system, IMO, and the very last prospect I’d want to see moved.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Its been 1 game. Have u looked at Liljegren's past 3 years? He had a good AHL year, that doesnt matter anymore. They didnt draft Liljegren to have decent AHL years. Have u seen him at the last couple of camps and preseason? The NHL game is chaos for Liljegren, I do not see him playing over 100 games in the NHL for his career. I think he gets moved and maybe gets a sample somewhere else. Ive isolated on Liljegren, he works hard and has good skating but can not adjust to the lack of time and space and how smart everyone is. His reads and decision making, feel for the game is lacking.

You are judging young D way too quick. Same with people that knock Dermott. Give players a chance.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Question, with Hall's 8 million avv contract, how exactly would the Leafs fit him in. And fit him in without moving out 1 of Nylander, Marner, or Tavares. Would make 0 sense to trade any of those guys for 1 year of Hall.
50% retention and Kerfoot salary are pretty much the only way it works. It would force us to make another trade for a cheap #3 C.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m not against trading Liljegren and I wouldn’t mind hanging onto him either. At this point I see Liljegren turning into a good third pairing dman, if he can become a second pairing defenceman well that’s a win.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Not sure what Sabres can do. Eichel is going to ask for a trade soon. And I get he's young witha ton of potential, but it sucks Dahlin looks this bad and other D picked later look much better.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not sure what Sabres can do. Eichel is going to ask for a trade soon. And I get he's young witha ton of potential, but it sucks Dahlin looks this bad and other D picked later look much better.

Didn't you earlier say "You are judging young D way too quick. Same with people that knock Dermott. Give players a chance." ?? Who are these so-called D are you talking about that look better than Dahlin?
Hughes? Maybe but he is terrible in his own end.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Mentioned on the Steve Dangle Pod.....goes along with the Elliot Friedman take on the Leafs getting a top 6 winger....

Thoughts? Discuss...

My thought would be we could do something like

Kerfoot, Liljegren, Engvall and a 1st/2nd for Hall

Friedman said it was Granlund that he thinks the Leafs are going to go after.

Mikael Granlund • #64 • RW
Ht/Wt:5'10", 185 lbs.
Born : Feb 26, 1992 (28 yrs) in Oulu, FIN
Experience : 8 years
Drafted : Drafted by Minnesota in 2010 (1/9).
Acquired : Acquired in a trade with Minnesota in 2019.
Shoots: L

SCOUTING REPORT
Is a smart playmaker with excellent vision. Works hard, can skate and shoot. Blessed with great hockey sense and hands, he can score highlight-reel goals. Is extremely versatile. Is undersized, so he must prove capable of withstanding the constant pounding in North America over the long haul. Needs more work on face-offs if he is to play center.
Long Range Potential: Talented, versatile playmaker with some upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Didn't you earlier say "You are judging young D way too quick. Same with people that knock Dermott. Give players a chance." ?? Who are these so-called D are you talking about that look better than Dahlin?
Hughes? Maybe but he is terrible in his own end.

Quinn Hughes. Noah Dobson is also playing far better.

And I actually complimented Dahlin. I am just pointing out his play just hurts given they finally got the 1st overall. I didn't say trade him LOL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You don't need big game winning experience to win a cup. Hall has 0 playoff success and I'd grab him in a nanosecond, You win with talent.

I wouldn’t mind a Hall experiment necessarily but at his cap hit, trade value, lack of playoff experience, 14 day quarantine, questionable IQ, and downward career trajectory since 2018 he isn’t a slam dunk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad