Speculation: Taylor Hall Trade Brewing

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Kerfoot ahead of Hall
Really
Kerfoot ahead of Hall
Major head scratcher as if we ever made that move , the Kerfootian dude would be gone
No disagreement here, Hall when he is going is a big step up from Kerfoot at his best.
BUT I responded to the poster saying "Would be like the Pens putting Crosby, Malkin, Kessel on different lines", so I put them on 3 different lines.
Trade wont happen for many reasons, one being the cap doesnt work unless the Leafs include one of the big 4.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I am by no means condoning trading for Hall, because I dont want the Leafs to.

However, I want to address one thing people have been mentioning, saying stuff like "how much would he help us in the playoffs anyways?"

What I would like to point out is that on every other playoff team Taylor Hall has been on, he was the main player expected to produce points. He was those teams #1 weapon. On the Leafs he would be the 4th, 5th, or 6th weapon. What he would bring to the Leafs is a match up nightmare for the opponent. If the Leafs wanted to load up a line the opponent would have to match up against Hall with either Matthews-Marner or Tavares-Nylander and use a weaker defense pair/forward group against the other line. If the Leafs wanted to exploit depth they could run Matthews-Marner then Tavares-Nylander then Hall-Kerfoot/Thornton/Spezza/Boyd/whoever. One of those 3 lines would feast on the opposing team's 3rd D pair and 3rd/4th forward line.

Like I said at the beginning, I do not want the Leafs to trade for Hall, the resources and cap space could be better utilized. However, that is what he would do for the team if he were to be acquired.

That's definitely the theory, but by the time you are playing Hall in the 5 or 6 slot, your money might be better spent on a Kyle Palmieri for example who costs a fraction of the cap hit, will probably produce at a clip similar to Hall with a reduced work load and give you some extra sandpaper here and there.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Admittedly I haven't seen Eric Staal play this season but I might prefer targeting him as a rental. He's got distant memories of closing the deal 15 years ago and seems like he'd probably love to close the deal here after playing less than 20 playoff games in his last 14 seasons. It's also nice when your mercenaries have a little bit extra skin in the game.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Admittedly I haven't seen Eric Staal play this season but I might prefer targeting him as a rental. He's got distant memories of closing the deal 15 years ago and seems like he'd probably love to close the deal here after playing less than 20 playoff games in his last 14 seasons. It's also nice when your mercenaries have a little bit extra skin in the game.

Hed be my target for a trade with the Sabres. Would probably be pretty cheap too

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
That's definitely the theory, but by the time you are playing Hall in the 5 or 6 slot, your money might be better spent on a Kyle Palmieri for example who costs a fraction of the cap hit, will probably produce at a clip similar to Hall with a reduced work load and give you some extra sandpaper here and there.
Thats exactly why I do not want Hall. Keep the picks/prospects that you would be paying for the name power and use them to acquire someone that brings a new element to the team while saving on the asking price as well as the cap.

Reactions: authentic

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Not that I'd want to give up too much for a rental player, but who cares? Next season we just sign Ovechkin to league minimum with promise he'll playing with Matthews and Marner.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Not that I'd want to give up too much for a rental player, but who cares? Next season we just sign Ovechkin to league minimum with promise he'll playing with Matthews and Marner.

Do not do that to me. My brain went to some fantasy land. You wanna see 3 100+ point players on one line? That's what you'd get.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Don't see Bell and Rogers selling to an oligarch who will pay Ovi under the table.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I think I’ve been talking myself into doing a trade. Chances are we lose one of Kerfoot or Holl in the expansion draft and I’d rather not Holl. If we trade Kerfoot + whatever for Hall at 50% retained, we can make it work cap wise and get better. If we’re going to lose Kerfoot anyways to expansion, might as well get an upgrade on him this year. Plus it gives us a bit more cap space next year for Hyman’s extension

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad