TSN: Suspended D Voynov signs in KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Lol what

He pummeled his lady in the face and cracked her head open. Fact not opinion.

And no you’re still very much a criminal. You can be a reformed criminal, but a criminal nonetheless

He will always be a woman beater. He can’t go back now. What a ****ing guy for you to choose to defend though. Very telling.

His rights aren’t being violated. He does not have the human right to play in the NHL. This is one of the more pathetic things I’ve ever seen on the site, it’s been 13 years.

He doesn’t have the human right to play in the NHL? Lol get the f*** outta here.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He doesn’t have the human right to play in the NHL? Lol get the **** outta here.

Nobody is entitled to a job in a professional sports league, if you think otherwise then I don’t know what to tell you. His human rights are not being violated like the delusional are trying to claim

Reactions: Kallio and LazyT

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
To people arguing that Voynov has a human right to play in the NHL: Playing in the top professional hockey league in the world is a privilege and not a right. Like people have said before, if it went to court, the league could easily argue that letting Voynov come back could hurt the league's bottom line because of public relations. The man is poison right now in the current political climate and a team would be crazy to sign him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I’d take him in NJ in a heartbeat. His wife forgave him so no one else should care about what he did.
It doesn't work that way.

I realize that his legal case is over, so I'm not talking about him specifically, but when a crime is committed and there is a trial, there is a reason it is The State vs. Jones. Whereas when it's a civil suit it's Smith v. Jones.

It's not up to 1 person to forgive a person and make that be justice. Society as a whole has an interest in seeing people who commit crimes punished.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I’d take him in NJ in a heartbeat. His wife forgave him so no one else should care about what he did.
hope you're ready for the bleeding hearts to turn against you for making such a logical statement

you'd think supporting a victim's decision would be something they applaud but no, it's not actually about the victim..

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It doesn't work that way.

I realize that his legal case is over, so I'm not talking about him specifically, but when a crime is committed and there is a trial, there is a reason it is The State vs. Jones. Whereas when it's a civil suit it's Smith v. Jones.

It's not up to 1 person to forgive a person and make that be justice. Society as a whole has an interest in seeing people who commit crimes punished.
good thing the legal system forgave him too huh? guess that argument goes out the window

he pled no contest, served his months in jail and years on probation, the courts not only accepted that but agreed to expunge it and his wife forgave him, get over it

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
good thing the legal system forgave him too huh? guess that argument goes out the window

he pled no contest, served his months in jail and years on probation, the courts not only accepted that but agreed to expunge it and his wife forgave him, get over it
Hi, you might want to read the first sentence of my 2nd paragraph. Seems like you missed it the 1st time.

Thanks for your well-wishes. I'm not "over it" because I was never under it. Not my team, not my player, not a resident of CA or Russia so there's nothing for me to be over.

Made a comment about the idea that a victim forgiving an "alleged" peratrator of a crime is enough. Like I said, the law doesn't work that way. If you feel strongly about that, feel free to write your local legislature.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
While I am fine giving Voynov a 2nd chance if he deserves it I can completely understand why the NHL would suspend him indefinitely.

In Toronto the Leafs work very closely with various children's groups. Most if not all of their players are expected to interact with these groups. There is very little chance that any of them would accept someone like Voynov showing up. Nor should they.

While as a society I believe that we should be able to provide 2nd chances to those who are worthy, that in no way shape or form means that the NHL has a responsibility to Voynov. It's a privilege to play in the NHL. If you do not fit the moral standing that the league stands by you shouldn't be a part of it.

Not that I'm saying this league has been a beacon of light however I would much rather err on the side of not letting guys like this play than letting them in because you let some other scum bag in years ago.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
[For a situation like this, context matters. For example, for] me Heatley [was] being dumb [and accidentally killed Snyder]. Voynov was actively trying to hurt someone, Heatley was not. The whole voluntary vs involuntary matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kallio and CDJ

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Someone should give him a chance in the NHL.
What for? It's not like the league is dying for middle pairing defenceman. At this point being removed from the league for so long, how long would it take a player like Voynov to catch up?How many teams have players that are better or are in need of NHL time that you would rather invest in than hire a potential PR crapstorm.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Someone really shouldn’t. What’s up with all the wishes for a wife beater to return to the NHL in this thread? Weird.
I think this attitude's problematic, though. While people make mistakes, I also don't think they should label them for the rest of their lives.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
[For a situation like this, context matters. For example, for] me Heatley [was] being dumb [and accidentally killed Snyder]. Voynov was actively trying to hurt someone, Heatley was not. The whole voluntary vs involuntary matters.

So driving at 80 instead of 35 now is called dumb? Exceeding a legal speed regime for more than twice and killing people is nothing comparing to pushing a drunk woman, who probably couldn't stand anyway?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So driving at 80 instead of 35 now is called dumb? Exceeding a legal speed regime for more than twice and killing people is nothing comparing to pushing a drunk woman, who probably couldn't stand anyway?

I already went over this and he deleted the many comments pointing out how much of a terrible argument is it.

There is no "human right" to playing in the NHL. This would be the same as if a big company was looking to hire a new CEO and they didn't hire somebody because he/she had something negative in his/her past.

Dany Heatley killed his teammate.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You can't be serious.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
At this point being removed from the league for so long, how long would it take a player like Voynov to catch up?

He's 29 years old, been excellent in the KHL and also dominated the Olympics just last year. I don't think there are any legitimate concerns regarding the level of his play. It's just about whether you want to hire him or not for reasons not related to hockey.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Context matters huh?

Snyder’s been in the ground for 16 years, Voynov’s wife Is still alive and well. But Heatley was just being a good ol Canadian boy who made a simple mistake while Voynov is the second coming of Stalin.

Context my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad