TSN: Suspended D Voynov signs in KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilinlillinois

Jun 5, 2015
I'm fine with Voynov coming back. He lost a lot of money and prime career years for his actions. If Mike Vick can have dog fights and come back to the NFL I'm fine with Voynov returning to North America as long as he stays out of trouble. People deserve second chances. Sometimes third.
Big difference between dog fights and beating the hell out of your wife guy should be in prison still.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Crime is crime and when you have served the penalty, you are a free man. Not a criminal.

People who are still yelling after him won't understand what human rights are.

But hey, he is a Russian! They are all natural born criminals and wife-beaters.
Are you trying to argue that people are accusing Voynov of beating his wife simply because he is Russian?

Reactions: Andrei79

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Crime is crime and when you have served the penalty, you are a free man. Not a criminal.

Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen on HF.
Are you trying to argue that people are accusing Voynov of beating his wife simply because he is Russian?
I think he's arguing that refusing to hire a wife beater is a human rights violation.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen on HF.

I think he's arguing that refusing to hire a wife beater is a human rights violation.

Obviously it's not a human rights violation, but that poster's premise is correct. In almost every circumstance it's illegal for an employer to inquire about an arrest that didn't result in a conviction, or a conviction that was later dismissed. As it stands now Voynov has no conviction against him.

Reactions: Starat327

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Obviously it's not a human rights violation, but that poster's premise is correct. In almost every circumstance it's illegal for an employer to inquire about an arrest that didn't result in a conviction, or a conviction that was later dismissed. As it stands now Voynov has no conviction against him.
In most jobs in small circles where you are paid millions of dollars something, like beating your wife and getting deported for it, would leak out, and you wouldn't get an interview. Again, these things are collectively bargained, and certain rights are given up in these situations.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
In most jobs in small circles where you are paid millions of dollars something, like beating your wife and getting deported for it, would leak out, and you wouldn't get an interview. Again, these things are collectively bargained, and certain rights are given up in these situations.

I could be mistaken, but the CBA only deals with suspensions at it pertains to this situation. Once the suspension is served, it would be illegal for an NHL team not to hire Voynov because of his record.
But you are correct about small circles. Teams not wanting any part of him will just forgo his services for whatever other reasons they can come up with.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I could be mistaken, but the CBA only deals with suspensions at it pertains to this situation. Once the suspension is served, it would be illegal for an NHL team not to hire Voynov because of his record.
But you are correct about small circles. Teams not wanting any part of him will just forgo his services for whatever other reasons they can come up with.
Since the NHL is a massive public relations corporation that relies on selling the ticket, they can argue that they won't hire him because it would hurt their bottom line because he isn't marketable. The weird thing about pro-sports is that their performance isn't just about there ability on the ice or playing field. In many ways, people are paid as performers because they bring an audience. Although, obviously, attendance and winning are somewhat intertwined.

Essentially what the NFL argued against Kaepernick (which led to a minimal collusion fee paid). I also think it would be much harder to prove collusion by the NHL owners compared to the NFL. Ray Rice was essentially blackballed from the NFL and he also wasn't ever convicted (he went through a diversion program). It would be very hard to prove the NHL is violating employment law by not hiring Voynov.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I know what he did sucked but part of me really wanted to see him play in the NHL. As a lover of hockey I was intrigued to see where his play has become. Oh well.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Voynov was never deported. #factcheck

Reactions: Seanaconda

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Voynov was never deported. #factcheck

Because he left before the process could be completed. Let’s not forget that fact.

Just as a previous poster saying his criminal record was expunged doesn’t eliminate the fact the incident happened, despite your liking the post. That doesn’t erase it from memories. It doesn’t mean it didn’t take place.

And none of these things mean that people have to be okay with him now. Just like it’s your decision to support him, despite his history of spousal abuse, it’s their decision to not want him to play in a league they are passionate about. Not that either of you have much say in it. That’s above our heads. Personally, I hope my GM stays away. I hope all the GM’s do. It sends the wrong message, in my opinion. Nothing about his actions suggest he regrets what he did. To me, it comes across as him trying to move past it, and not accept responsibility.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Because he left before the process could be completed. Let’s not forget that fact.

Just as a previous poster saying his criminal record was expunged doesn’t eliminate the fact the incident happened, despite your liking the post. That doesn’t erase it from memories. It doesn’t mean it didn’t take place.

And none of these things mean that people have to be okay with him now. Just like it’s your decision to support him, despite his history of spousal abuse, it’s their decision to not want him to play in a league they are passionate about. Not that either of you have much say in it. That’s above our heads. Personally, I hope my GM stays away. I hope all the GM’s do. It sends the wrong message, in my opinion. Nothing about his actions suggest he regrets what he did. To me, it comes across as him trying to move past it, and not accept responsibility.

I never insinuated otherwise. Merely pointing out how little people actually know about the situation as they throw out 'facts' that arent facts at all.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Moral turpitude is collectively bargained and both a valid reason for terminating a contract and for not wanting to hire someone. If a team feels that he hasn’t taken the proper steps to rehabilitate himself, they’re well within their rights to not hire him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

His work Visa was no longer valid it would have been illegal for him to stay so yes I guess he would have ended up getting deported .

Leaving wasnt exactly running tho it was more just following the law.

I guess the judge could have forced him to be deported instead but that would have been a bigger pain all around

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Lol what

He pummeled his lady in the face and cracked her head open. Fact not opinion.

And no you’re still very much a criminal. You can be a reformed criminal, but a criminal nonetheless

He will always be a woman beater. He can’t go back now. What a f***ing guy for you to choose to defend though. Very telling.

His rights aren’t being violated. He does not have the human right to play in the NHL. This is one of the more pathetic things I’ve ever seen on the site, it’s been 13 years.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I could be mistaken, but the CBA only deals with suspensions at it pertains to this situation. Once they suspension is served, it would be illegal for an NHL team not to hire Voynov because of his record.

Uhhhhhh it is absolutely not illegal. They have a brand they’re trying to protect and I’d imagine most if not all want to be associated with the bad publicity that comes with signing the biggest shit head in hockey. Are you saying teams should be forced to sign him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->