Sudbury Wolves 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Congrats to Byfield. Perfetti had my vote but Byfield is no fun to play against.

For me Byfield deserved it over Perfetti and Rossi for contextual reasons. Byfield played on a worse team in all situations and almost always against the top opposing D pairing most of the time, and with far inferior linemates compared to who Perfetti and Rossi played with. Byfield did this all as a wire-to-wire 16 year old. The eye test also indicates that Byfield is the best of the three.

But don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'd homer up for Rossi or Perfetti if I was a fan of one of their teams instead. They all had great years and the vote being as close as it was really did the race justice and I can't argue with it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For me Byfield deserved it over Perfetti and Rossi for contextual reasons. Byfield played on a worse team in all situations and almost always against the top opposing D pairing most of the time, and with far inferior linemates compared to who Perfetti and Rossi played with. Byfield did this all as a wire-to-wire 16 year old. The eye test also indicates that Byfield is the best of the three.

But don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'd homer up for Rossi or Perfetti if I was a fan of one of their teams instead. They all had great years and the vote being as close as it was really did the race justice and I can't argue with it.

I think Byfield is the best rookie. I am not sure he should have won ROY though. I think Byfield’s playoff performance put him on top even if it’s supposed to be regular season based. There were some really impressive rookie seasons this year. The argument of Perfetti & Rossi playing on loaded rosters just makes what they able to accomplish more impressive, imo. Perfetti with 37 goals, 74 pts in 63 games should have won I think. Rossi having the (league’s best) +/- ratio with +51 in 53 GP was outstanding too.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Agree completely
I believe there are no guarantees in anything. Everyone should make the team. If not, you can create a self entitled brat.....
Agree completely, but is your comment in regards to something you have heard otherwise. Have people been guaranteed spots going into next season?

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I believe there are no guarantees in anything. Everyone should make the team. If not, you can create a self entitled brat.....

Basically every 1st round pick and several 2nd rounders across the whole league are guaranteed spots in exchange for reporting. It's not ideal but it is what it is.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Basically every 1st round pick and several 2nd rounders across the whole league are guaranteed spots in exchange for reporting. It's not ideal but it is what it is.

That is a lot of BS. Don’t ever expect to win anything as an organization if that’s the mentality. But I take it Papineau doesn’t really follow that since he hasn’t signed Butler! So it appears the only promises made is for our 1st rounders and obviously this year will be Stillman as much as the kid states he needs to earn it. Promises were obviously made this year to Byfield, and UKKO. Thompson earned his way and really couldn’t be happier for him. Moving into next season I’m hoping Butler proves to the team that he deserves a spot and signs along with whoever else can prove themselves. Maybe an import forward. And we still have lots of forwards from last year including Labelle, Tiveron, Biondi etc... Will be interesting to see who can cut it next season. Some moves will be made if Papineau wants to ice a little bit older of a line up to make a deep run.

Bulitka Levin Robinson
Hutchison Byfield Murray
Carson Butler Stillman
Larmand McCallum McConville
Gilhula

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
That is a lot of BS. Don’t ever expect to win anything as an organization if that’s the mentality. But I take it Papineau doesn’t really follow that since he hasn’t signed Butler! So it appears the only promises made is for our 1st rounders and obviously this year will be Stillman as much as the kid states he needs to earn it. Promises were obviously made this year to Byfield, and UKKO. Thompson earned his way and really couldn’t be happier for him. Moving into next season I’m hoping Butler proves to the team that he deserves a spot and signs along with whoever else can prove themselves. Maybe an import forward. And we still have lots of forwards from last year including Labelle, Tiveron, Biondi etc... Will be interesting to see who can cut it next season. Some moves will be made if Papineau wants to ice a little bit older of a line up to make a deep run.

Bulitka Levin Robinson
Hutchison Byfield Murray
Carson Butler Stillman
Gilhula

WJ

If Butler gets signed, WJ you better buy the jersey. :) I think Gilhula has to be the odd man out if they want to give a rookie opportunity on the roster.

Reactions: Wolfpak and WaW

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
And Debrincat, Lyszcarczyck,...C.Giroux, and many others; what is your point here? The poster questioned why take kids at 15 and 26 when reputable scouting sites have those players ranked at 37, 62, 84 and 181, 61, 52. No matter how much the wolves staff were crushing on the kids, would it not be worth the risk of missing out on them by waiting until round 2 or 4 respectively? After all, the reasons scouting reports and player rankings are made is because the GMs & head scouts want to know what others are thinking about the players they covet; and, where in the draft they make the value pick.
As Cub says, everyone should form their own opinion, not just have blind faith in the GM and his scouts.
I would think you would have easily understood my point to be rankings don’t always tell the tale, and I provided one of the best recent examples I could think of. I’ve said what I’ve said on the subject of our picks and will now wait to actually SEE them before I automatically form the opinion that the Wolves could or should have done this or that.
As you said, everyone’s entitled to their opinion so if armchair quarterbacking the draft selections is going to give some posters something to talk about over the summer so be it, fine this is a discussion board. However to automatically form a critical opinion would seem premature no? To each his own bu personally I’ll wait to see them and base my opinion on empirical evidence.

Last edited:

member 236327

I think Byfield is the best rookie. I am not sure he should have won ROY though. I think Byfield’s playoff performance put him on top even if it’s supposed to be regular season based. There were some really impressive rookie seasons this year. The argument of Perfetti & Rossi playing on loaded rosters just makes what they able to accomplish more impressive, imo. Perfetti with 37 goals, 74 pts in 63 games should have won I think. Rossi having the (league’s best) +/- ratio with +51 in 53 GP was outstanding too.

So then why should he not have been ROY? You have loaded rosters who are able to create better opportunities to score, and better players so when you pass them the puck they're likely going to score or put up points. Byfield managed just under a PPG with the players Sudbury had, all while missing 4 games. Your argument doesn't make sense? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: MGOBlue

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I would think you would have easily understood my point to be rankings don’t always tell the tale, and I provided one of the best recent examples I could think of. I’ve said what I’ve said on the subject of our picks and will now wait to actually SEE them before I automatically form the opinion that the Wolves could or should have done this or that.
As you said, everyone’s entitled to their opinion so if armchair quarterbacking the draft selections is going to give some posters something to talk about over the summer so be it, fine this is a discussion board. However to automatically form a critical opinion would seem premature no? To each his own bu personally I’ll wait to see them and base my opinion on empirical evidence.

Excellent

member 236327

Bulitka Levin Robinson
Hutchison Byfield Murray
Carson Butler Stillman
Gilhula

WJ

WJ is Ryan Yessie. Lol, guy can't get enough of BB..

Reactions: hockieguy and cub

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I think next year the Wolves will be in a position of strength much like the London Knights where they can spot the rookies in and out of the lineup without "forgive the pun" throwing them to the Wolves. Sometimes over playing 16 year old kids hurts their development and their confidence. I wouldn't think any player should be entitled to the point of demanding and getting ice time. Players like Byfield are the exception to that except that you would have to be an absolute idiot not to give a kid with that high of ceiling top 6 minutes. I know Levin was a # 1 overall pick and nothing against him but last years draft was a bumper crop of extremely talented kids. Drysdale or Perfetti any other year go 1-2 or 2-1

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
WJ is Ryan Yessie. Lol, guy can't get enough of BB..

WJ just breaths negativity.

There had been times this year where the wolves had a few streaks of being undefeated. Played some excellent hockey

WJ was nowhere to be seen.

Now he shows up foaming at the mouth being critical of the wolves first round pick, (management) which he knows nothing about the players drafted and or reasons why Butler hasn't been signed.

Unbelievable.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

There had been times this year where the wolves had a few streaks of being undefeated. Played some excellent hockey

Now he shows up foaming at the mouth being critical of the wolves first round pick, (management) which he knows nothing about the players drafted and or reasons why Butler hasn't been signed.

You have no idea what my personal life consists of! But it’s ok think what you want and paint me as negative person you bully.

How is it I’m negative for pointing out a highly touted player drafted in 2018 with quotes from our scouts and GM that point out how excited they are and they have yet to sign him. Maybe something is in the works who knows. But pointing it out for discussion is hardly negative. A very sensitive bunch in here.

Happy Easter folks!

WJ

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So then why should he not have been ROY? You have loaded rosters who are able to create better opportunities to score, and better players so when you pass them the puck they're likely going to score or put up points. Byfield managed just under a PPG with the players Sudbury had, all while missing 4 games. Your argument doesn't make sense? Correct me if I'm wrong.

My argument was that Rossi & Perfetti were every bit as much responsible for their own production as Byfield was for his. If the season stats were close, I could get behind the suggestion that the line mates boosted Rossi’s & Perfetti’s totals to the point that they were close; but, the totals were not really close.
Perfetti produced all season earning his way on to a line with McLeod & Tippett by playing a big part in making that line better. McLeod & Tippett actually produced few points in Saginaw before a line was formed with Perfetti.
Rossi produced 1.23 pts/game (Byfield 0.95) and his +51 in 53 GP was the best +/- ratio in the entire league. That would indicate that he elevated the 2-way play of his line-mates.
Byfield played with 30 goal scorer and whoever was playing the best for the wolves outside of Ruzicka. None of Carson, Levin, Robison, Hutcheson,... can produce at an elite level; but on any given weekend at the top of their game, they can.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Unbelievable.

To be fair, WJ along with others, were critical of BS & BB as well. None really knew anything of the players that were selected then either. There are fans critical of some of their GMs selections on every thread because they thought it was a reach or a reporting risk or it wasn’t the player they wanted or just because they are not enjoying a less than stellar club during rebuild years.
Papineau, a veteran of two OHL drafts should not be immune.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
McCallum is gonna prove a lot of negative people wrong. Very quickly

This recent draft is so crucial in building that supporting cast for Byfield, Thompson, Phillips, Murray etc.

Some nice looking scoring Import forwards from Espoo Finland available. Maybe Wolves grab two scoring forwards in the Import draft

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

This recent draft is so crucial in building that supporting cast for Byfield, Thompson, Phillips, Murray etc.

Some nice looking scoring Import forwards from Espoo Finland available. Maybe Wolves grab two scoring forwards in the Import draft

Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012

be nice to have a Finnish pipeline connection. I find the Fins are not high maintenance, they have the combination of skill, grit similar to Canadians.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Great Insi

Thats great I wish he does. But you know that a higher expectation will be placed on him being a 15th overall selection. Case in point look at Lucas Rowe picked by London. How quickly that soured. Will be nice to see how this young man plays among some of last years picks and his current draftees next month. Again where is the negativity it’s conversation!!! Does nobody know how that’s done anymore. It’s ok to disagree with ones opinion. Man this generation is problematic.

WJ

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad