Sudbury Wolves 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Mark it on the board we are going to regret picking McCallum(1/2 a Pilon replacement) while Ottawa steals future scoring machine Sirrizotti .Just think if we had picked Giroux like we were supposed to over Gilhula.Ottawa also showed us in the end that scoring overagers Chiodo and Maksimovich are more valuable in the current OHL than truculent wingers like the Pilons.We keep sticking to the most penalized team in the league blueprint when elite teams left that years ago.We had a great year but we should improve and build on it to keep a consistent winner.We rarely draft elite scoring prospects while other teams harvest these players year after year.

Just curious have you seen McCallum play?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I agree with the other poster, make the team before you sign.....
The Wolves just signed their first rounder without him stepping foot on Sudbury ice. What’s the problem with our highly touted 3rd rounder they took last spring? Obviously they don’t want to admit to wasting a high pick for whatever reason. Maybe we can deal him to Sarnia for Cameron Lamour. We need a number 1 goalie and Lamour will need to be moved since Sarnia picked up Gaudreau with their first pick! One of the vets need to go.

WJ

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
The Wolves just signed their first rounder without him stepping foot on Sudbury ice. What’s the problem with our highly touted 3rd rounder they took last spring? Obviously they don’t want to admit to wasting a high pick for whatever reason. Maybe we can deal him to Sarnia for Cameron Lamour. We need a number 1 goalie and Lamour will need to be moved since Sarnia picked up Gaudreau with their first pick! One of the vets need to go.

WJ

I'd take Lamour if we already had a #1 but his numbers were absolutely terrible with both Saginaw and Sarnia last year. McGrath was actually better if you can believe that.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
With all the praise this young player received last year following the draft...one must wonder what is taking so long for him to sign. Most teams have already signed all of their first 2 or 3 and even 4 picks from last season. Sudbury went into the draft a couple of weeks ago and signed 3 more centers. What we don't want to see is a situation where Stillman is singed before Butler. We can't afford to lose a solid prospect to NCAA because we couldn't come to terms. The Wolves should maximize their assets. We shall see if a deal will be made for Blake cause the longer he goes without signing then I believe he will never be a Sudbury Wolf.

Below is the quotes taken from the Sudbury Star following last years draft on Blake. Such high praise to even saying he could done the 'C' in Sudbury one day. Its ok if our management make a mistake but maybe have some dialogue with your fan base instead raising our expectation of a player that seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Michael Tiveron was given a nice write up in Sudbury Star about a month or so ago. A much later pick out of Brampton. So something doesn't seem write IMO.

Papineau was just as happy with Sudbury’s other early picks on Saturday, including centreman Blake Butler, selected 46th overall, defenceman Nathan Ribau, drafted 78th, and goalie Jonathan Lemaire, plucked 85th overall.
"We feel great," Papineau said. "Obviously, the day started off yesterday with an unbelievable first pick with Quinton, then we get into today and we just love the picks we have been able to get."
Equally pleased was Mike Taylor, Sudbury’s head scout.
"It has been exciting," Taylor said. "Leading a group of great scouts like we have, figuring out where guys are going to be slotted and making the best pick for our team, it has been exciting, the whole idea behind building a team for Cory (Stillman) to coach and moving forward with that."
Like Thompson, Butler earned praise for the skill and high-end shot that helped the 5-foot-11, 180-pounder post 32 points in 33 games for the Lambton Junior Sting, but also for what Papineau called "character through the roof."
"He’s an athlete, a very high-end baseball player, and he’s the kind of guy who may one day wear a C in this league," Sudbury’s GM said. "We like his compete, he protects the puck well, he’s a 200-foot guy who you can play in the middle, you can play him on the wing, so we’re real happy with Blake."

Reached at his family home in Sarnia, Butler was proud to know his leadership ability had been recognized.

"There’s lots of things in life where you can be a lion or you can be a sheep," he said. "You can let people tell you what you want to do, or you can be the person who leads people in the right direction."

And what Butler wants to do is play hockey.

"Growing up as a kid, especially in Canada, you always look up to the NHL players," he said. "And what else would you want to do for a job other than your dream, your favourite thing?"

That dream would have no chance of becoming reality, however, without the support of his family, including parents Sherree and Rick, who gathered with Butler to celebrate draft day.

"It’s an unbelievable feeling, indescribable," he said. "My whole family is proud of me and they want to be a part of this. They’re my biggest fans by far and I couldn’t be more thankful for them."
1. Blake Butler, C, @JrSting_MMAAA

6’1”/187lbs

Closest Alliance prospect to playing in the OHL. Attractive mix of size, speed and skill. Threatening as a playmaker or shooter. Helped elevate the play of his teammates around him all year. Has the physical tools & IQ. #OHLDraft
— Mitchell Avis (@mitchyav) April 6, 2018

WJ​

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I'd take Lamour if we already had a #1 but his numbers were absolutely terrible with both Saginaw and Sarnia last year. McGrath was actually better if you can believe that.

Lamour was outstanding in Sarnia since his deal from Saginaw. His start in Sudbury was sensational. He has the talent just needs a team that wants him. And he is alot better then what Sudbury has at the moment.

WJ

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
What are your guys' thoughts on the Sudbury commentators? I was just reading through comments on the 67s fb page and pretty much everyone was saying how insufferable they were.

This is the problem when you have volunteers working for the local channel. Liard is pretty fair and does a good job but Beech is just way too much. He was a radio guy for years and falls back on that regularly by doing colour as well and not letting Liard get a word in edge-wise. (I guess we couldn't tell how wrong he got the players' names when listening on the radio!). Liard does a better job when announcing with someone else doing colour because he gets some air. Just almost embarrassing when Beech puts his "homer" hat on. He reminds me of the White Sox games with Hawk and Wimpy.

Reactions: devbouz12

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Lamour was outstanding in Sarnia since his deal from Saginaw. His start in Sudbury was sensational. He has the talent just needs a team that wants him. And he is alot better then what Sudbury has at the moment.

WJ

His start in Sudbury seems like it was an outlier.

He had an .852 SV% and a 4.99 GAA in 20 games with Sarnia. I don't really think that's an improvement on Lemaire/Weeks and don't see the point in replacing either of those two unless we acquire someone who is undoubtedly a #1

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
His start in Sudbury seems like it was an outlier.

He had an .852 SV% and a 4.99 GAA in 20 games with Sarnia. I don't really think that's an improvement on Lemaire/Weeks and don't see the point in replacing either of those two unless we acquire someone who is undoubtedly a #1

Not indicative of his play. Read the Sarnia blogs on Lamour. Lamour is twice the goalie McGrath is IMO. And keeping O'Bonswin over Blake Butler this past season was pathetic!!!

WJ

Reactions: hockeynorth

cub

Apr 11, 2012

WJ

I would say 100 per cent of first picks get signed prior to camp. My guess Butler was offered to be signed and maybe exploring options, he was coached under Wolves scout Ryan Yessie, so I think a good chance he signs. With Lamour, I'm not a big fan of his game, but could help because he has experience, I wouldn't move Butler for him though. We have Weeks, Bowman, will get a shot too. I think we will pick up a goalie in Import draft or get a Veteran goalie in OHL.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Not indicative of his play. Read the Sarnia blogs on Lamour. Lamour is twice the goalie McGrath is IMO. And keeping O'Bonswin over Blake Butler this past season was pathetic!!!

WJ

How do you know he wasn't offered a spot on team, you're infatuated with this guy, give him a phone call get the scoop.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

WJ

I agree on O'Bonsawin as a guy who should be replaced by Butler but I can't get behind that on Lamour. His career numbers are terrible. It's really hard to get behind a guy who has a career .860ish sv% in 51 games and around a 4.30ish GAA. That's too large a sample size to disregard the numbers.

Just not good enough IMO.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
How do you know he wasn't offered a spot on team, you're infatuated with this guy, give him a phone call get the scoop.
Wouldn't go that far! But we already lost Bowie to NCAA commit are we prepared to lose another? Its conversation. Don't look to create a fight Cub. Don't allow your distorted thinking to affect perception. Its not difficult to see whats happening. 2018- Center/Defence/Center 2019- Center/Center/Center and if you go back to 2017. Murray another centre taken. Are we drafting correctly? Are we drafting for position of need? Are we drafting not having a back up plan? IMO the Wolves wanted to select Gaudreau first overall. Obviously went to Sarnia with the 7th overall pick in the 1st round much earlier than anyone thought. So they take a player unknown to the 1st round all season. There were many other positional players the Wolves could have taken that were consistently ranked in the 1st or just outside the 1st. Not sure they had a backup plan for the 1st round IMO. The second round seems to be what they had planned from the get go. Stillman's kid and the other lad taken next. The Wolves management shouldn't complicate things. And it seems they did somewhat. As another poster had said... The Wolves need to find players with scoring abilities not Pilon grinders early on. Were talking the kids that put up goals/points all the time. Teams like Ottawa could fill the net with ease and thats the route Sudbury needs to take. Norm Milley type players should be taken with your first pick. Unless its a Marc Staal type defender. Sudbury management/scouts can't allow their heads to get too big that they can't fit through the doorway. And word out there that mentality exists with this management/scouting team.

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Your a mess.

It's the offseason

Go clear your mind. Take a vacation.
How so? Because your don't agree. No problem. I really couldn't care two craps. Don't engage in conversation if you don't want to. Or you are the front office police/billet that needs to come to the defence of anyone creating nonsense on the boards. Whatever. Jokes!!!

BTW- Its not the off season. It should never be. I bet the pay cheques are still going through to management all summer long:)

WJ

Reactions: dirty12

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
How so? Because your don't agree. No problem. I really couldn't care two craps. Don't engage in conversation if you don't want to. Or you are the front office police/billet that needs to come to the defence of anyone creating nonsense on the boards. Whatever. Jokes!!!

BTW- Its not the off season. It should never be. I bet the pay cheques are still going through to management all summer long:)

WJ

You guessed it. Front office!

Want the scoop why you boy hasn't been signed as yet?

Eat all your dinner before your treat. I might then enlighten you:)

Last edited:
Reactions: WaW

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
You guess it. Front office!

Want the scoop why you boy hasn't been signed as yet?

Eat all your dinner before your treat. I might then enlighten you:)
See wasn't wrong after all. Still getting paid maybe? Good for you. Maybe you are the one who needs a vacation. The arena smell must be getting to you.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Wouldn't go that far! But we already lost Bowie to NCAA commit are we prepared to lose another? Its conversation. Don't look to create a fight Cub. Don't allow your distorted thinking to affect perception. Its not difficult to see whats happening. 2018- Center/Defence/Center 2019- Center/Center/Center and if you go back to 2017. Murray another centre taken. Are we drafting correctly? Are we drafting for position of need? Are we drafting not having a back up plan? IMO the Wolves wanted to select Gaudreau first overall. Obviously went to Sarnia with the 7th overall pick in the 1st round much earlier than anyone thought. So they take a player unknown to the 1st round all season. There were many other positional players the Wolves could have taken that were consistently ranked in the 1st or just outside the 1st. Not sure they had a backup plan for the 1st round IMO. The second round seems to be what they had planned from the get go. Stillman's kid and the other lad taken next. The Wolves management shouldn't complicate things. And it seems they did somewhat. As another poster had said... The Wolves need to find players with scoring abilities not Pilon grinders early on. Were talking the kids that put up goals/points all the time. Teams like Ottawa could fill the net with ease and thats the route Sudbury needs to take. Norm Milley type players should be taken with your first pick. Unless its a Marc Staal type defender. Sudbury management/scouts can't allow their heads to get too big that they can't fit through the doorway. And word out there that mentality exists with this management/scouting team.

WJ

Wow, you are making judgements prior to seeing any of these players play. You're really out of touch, McCallum, Stillman and Larmand, I haven't seen McCallum and Larmand play but they are worthy where they been picked from people I spoke too. Stillman and Larmand can also play wing.

Stillman can play right wing, he was the NOHA Player of the Year and a member of Team Ontario at the 2019 CAnada Winter Games, offered a scholarship with Providence and invited to US Hockey program. Larmand, can play left wing, he has good numbers, was Ontario team. I have faith in Papineau, I like this group, they sound they have speed, skill and grit, those my type of players.

Just curious have you seen Butler play? it seems you crowned him already.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wow, you are making judgements prior to seeing any of these players play. You're really out of touch, McCallum, Stillman and Larmand, I haven't seen McCallum and Larmand play but they are worthy where they been picked from people I spoke too. Stillman and Larmand can also play wing.

Stillman can play right wing, he was the NOHA Player of the Year and a member of Team Ontario at the 2019 CAnada Winter Games, offered a scholarship with Providence and invited to US Hockey program. Larmand, can play left wing, he has good numbers, was Ontario team. I have faith in Papineau, I like this group, they sound they have speed, skill and grit, those my type of players.

Just curious have you seen Butler play? it seems you crowned him already.
I have no issue with the second round picks! I believe our first rounder was a second round pick. My opinion. I think they could have got a better position player in the first. Why so many centers? When we drafted so many over the last two years. I guess we will see. One thing is for sure without UKKO the last two drafts will say a lot.

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad