Sudbury Wolves 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartermc86

Apr 18, 2019
Hey guys!

First time poster here,

With UPL gone, any idea how the Wolves address the 1G spot?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Hey guys!

First time poster here,

With UPL gone, any idea how the Wolves address the 1G spot?

Welcome and beware some like to nip at you in here.

Initially rumor was the Wolves were interested in taking Malik's brother in the import draft. But I think that plan has sailed when they dealt the older brother to North Bay at the deadline. It may be difficult for them to find a goalie that may be ready to take on a load similar to Ukko as they draft so much further in the order. I see a deal with another OHL club in late summer. I mentioned Cameron Lamour out of Sarnia a local kid who really is a good goalie. It was pointed out his numbers were not strong but thats not always indicative of their potential and situation. But there may be some other options but that may mean we go with an overage in net. Time will tell it will be an interesting off season.

WJ

Last edited:

cartermc86

Apr 18, 2019
Thanks for the Welcome. Yea, I've been following this board throughout the playoffs and noticed that you can get chewed and spit out on here. The spot in net is what most concerns me going into 2019-2020. In a likelihood QB is gone after next year so I feel like they have to capitalize on his time in Sudbury.

I went to every home game during the playoffs, although Ottawa being the more talented team the Wolves definitely had their chances to make that a long series. I plan on getting season tickets next year but don't feel this team is far off but they must replace UPL to get there, too bad the Sting took that tender out of N.B

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
My argument was that Rossi & Perfetti were every bit as much responsible for their own production as Byfield was for his. If the season stats were close, I could get behind the suggestion that the line mates boosted Rossi’s & Perfetti’s totals to the point that they were close; but, the totals were not really close.
Perfetti produced all season earning his way on to a line with McLeod & Tippett by playing a big part in making that line better. McLeod & Tippett actually produced few points in Saginaw before a line was formed with Perfetti.
Rossi produced 1.23 pts/game (Byfield 0.95) and his +51 in 53 GP was the best +/- ratio in the entire league. That would indicate that he elevated the 2-way play of his line-mates.
Byfield played with 30 goal scorer and whoever was playing the best for the wolves outside of Ruzicka. None of Carson, Levin, Robison, Hutcheson,... can produce at an elite level; but on any given weekend at the top of their game, they can.

I like to believe that Byfield won because he brought the whole package.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Welcome and beware some like to nip at you in here.

Initially rumor was the Wolves were interested in taking Malik's brother in the import draft. But I think that plan has sailed when they dealt the older brother to North Bay at the deadline. It may be difficult for them to find a goalie that may be ready to take on a load similar to Ukko as they draft so much further in the order. I see a deal with another OHL club in late summer. I mentioned Cameron Lamour out of Sarnia a local kid who really is a good goalie. It was pointed out his numbers were not strong but thats not always indicative of their potential and situation. But there may be some other options but that may mean we go with an overage in net. Time will tell it will be an interesting off season.

WJ

I really have a hard time believing the Wolves make the playoffs without finding a goalie close to Lukkonnen's skill. That's where I believe this team to actually be in terms of talent.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I really have a hard time believing the Wolves make the playoffs without finding a goalie close to Lukkonnen's skill. That's where I believe this team to actually be in terms of talent.
My guess is you wont see the real team until January.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I believe you are right. I believe that Byfield showed he is the best nhl prospect; especially, in the playoffs. But I believe ROY should be decided by indisputable stats, not on potential or what if that rookie played for another team

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Thanks for the Welcome. Yea, I've been following this board throughout the playoffs and noticed that you can get chewed and spit out on here. The spot in net is what most concerns me going into 2019-2020. In a likelihood QB is gone after next year so I feel like they have to capitalize on his time in Sudbury.

I went to every home game during the playoffs, although Ottawa being the more talented team the Wolves definitely had their chances to make that a long series. I plan on getting season tickets next year but don't feel this team is far off but they must replace UPL to get there, too bad the Sting took that tender out of N.B

Welcome! No need to worry about this.

I too am concerned (and intrigued) about who ends up in net, but I don't think it's the difference between us being a contender and us missing the playoffs.

I also think Byfield, Phillips, Thompson, Ross, Hutcheson, Robinson, Murray, and Stratis will all be better players next year, plus we have a good crop of OAs. It'll be an interesting season. Not all doom and gloom that's for sure!

Reactions: WolvesFan and cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Great Insi

Thats great I wish he does. But you know that a higher expectation will be placed on him being a 15th overall selection. Case in point look at Lucas Rowe picked by London. How quickly that soured. Will be nice to see how this young man plays among some of last years picks and his current draftees next month. Again where is the negativity it’s conversation!!! Does nobody know how that’s done anymore. It’s ok to disagree with ones opinion. Man this generation is problematic.

WJ
You made me laugh Jack :) I completely about the generation being problematic but I think many of us on here have been around awhile and are probably around the same age.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Agree but I couldn’t believe how many times the Ottawa announcers mentioned they couldn’t believe how Rossi wasn’t the rookie of the year and same for Saginaw with Perfetti.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Agree but I couldn’t believe how many times the Ottawa announcers mentioned they couldn’t believe how Rossi wasn’t the rookie of the year and same for Saginaw with Perfetti.

Just a home team fan pushing their player. Sudbury Wolves fans would've done the same in their position. Par the coarse. Next year is the important year. Lets see what player can produce this years out put or exceed it.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Just a home team fan pushing their player. Sudbury Wolves fans would've done the same in their position. Par the coarse. Next year is the important year. Lets see what player can produce this years out put or exceed it.

Not sure what the criteria for ROY is, but ceetainly all three were in the running. Stats are 'a' factor not 'the' factor. For ex the top point getter is not always the mvp of the team or league but still is recognized for their result. Happy it was Byfield!

Reactions: WaW

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
You made me laugh Jack :) I completely about the generation being problematic but I think many of us on here have been around awhile and are probably around the same age.
You were crying in here a month leading into the playoffs. I think even apologizing at one point. And you call me negative. Thats the pot calling the kettle! You may look older from all the elbow bending but surely not near my age.

WJ

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Here are the top 8 goalies for the up coming NHL draft Kochetkov Russia, Alnefelt Sweden, Parik Czrep, Konovalov Russia, Skorpik Czrep, Taponen Finland, Ancicka Finland. Wolves would like to land anyone of these don't you think?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Here are the top 8 goalies for the up coming NHL draft Kochetkov Russia, Alnefelt Sweden, Parik Czrep, Konovalov Russia, Skorpik Czrep, Taponen Finland, Ancicka Finland. Wolves would like to land anyone of these don't you think?

The Wolves need to land a goalie, not we "would like too", if not it will be a tough season next year. They do not have a number one guy at this point..... not even close to one.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
The Wolves need to land a goalie, not we "would like too", if not it will be a tough season next year. They do not have a number one guy at this point..... not even close to one.
As I have said. A stop gap may need to happen in the event the Import draft doesn’t land a number 1 guy. Sad that we need to rely on that heading into a very big season. In the short term I would pursue a 19 year old goalie such as Lamour who may turn out to be like a Taylor Dupuis. His victory over Saginaw in one of the last regular season games and his showing in Sudbury was outstanding. A bit of a late bloomer but it could provide Sudbury with some stability to start the year. Doesn’t hurt that he is a local product. One thing is certain Sudbury’s number 1 need and focus has to be goaltending anyway you slice it. The import draft will tell the tail.

WJ

Reactions: hockieguy

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
As I have said. A stop gap may need to happen in the event the Import draft doesn’t land a number 1 guy. Sad that we need to rely on that heading into a very big season. In the short term I would pursue a 19 year old goalie such as Lamour who may turn out to be like a Taylor Dupuis. His victory over Saginaw in one of the last regular season games and his showing in Sudbury was outstanding. A bit of a late bloomer but it could provide Sudbury with some stability to start the year. Doesn’t hurt that he is a local product. One thing is certain Sudbury’s number 1 need and focus has to be goaltending anyway you slice it. The import draft will tell the tail.

WJ

Is it fair to assume you're related to Lamour? You keep talking about how he could provide stability in the Sudbury net, but I don't see any way he's an improvement over Weeks or Lemaire.

Import draft or someone who has actually looked like a starting goalie in their OHL career would be a much better choice. The fact he MAY turn out to be Taylor Dupuis. He may end up being a sub .900 save % goalie. This is not what we need.

Reactions: hockieguy

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Far from related! Lol. Just conversation once again. Don’t see any other team in the OHL who will have an extra 19 year old goalie kicking around. For all I care change the name for the other 18 or 19 year old they have Langevin. It’s evident they need to move a goalie. Local kid if all fails in the import draft this team someone with experience! Just conversation. What’s the alternative.

Happy Easter

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Purboo -19, NB; should be available. He could be a solid option. He managed a 0.903 SV% on a team with real defensive deficiencies up until last game when getting lit up by Niagara.
I could be wrong, but I doubt there will be a #1 ready import goalie a available after 40+ picks. I think that the last import draft was an exception as it was the first time in 5 years that goalies were allowed to be selected.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Purboo -19, NB; should be available. He could be a solid option. He managed a 0.903 SV% on a team with real defensive deficiencies up until last game when getting lit up by Niagara.
I could be wrong, but I doubt there will be a #1 ready import goalie a available after 40+ picks. I think that the last import draft was an exception as it was the first time in 5 years that goalies were allowed to be selected.

Purboo is probably the best option that wouldn't cost a fortune. I'd like to inquire about Ingham in Missy but I think he'd cost alot more.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Purboo is probably the best option that wouldn't cost a fortune. I'd like to inquire about Ingham in Missy but I think he'd cost alot more.

Ingham likely would not be made available until January, if at all. The wolves could bring in a vet G to start; then, look to upgrade at the deadline if deemed necessary. We can be fairly certain that NB will move Propp and/or Purboo or possibly Cicigoi. It shouldn’t take long for Vrbetic to stake his claim to the batallion net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad