Sudbury Wolves 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I have no issue with the second round picks! I believe our first rounder was a second round pick. My opinion. I think they could have got a better position player in the first. Why so many centers? When we drafted so many over the last two years. I guess we will see. One thing is for sure without UKKO the last two drafts will say a lot.

WJ

Again, they are not just Centres they can play wing. We have many our Defence coming back, so forwards were the focus, also the D we drafted I think we did very well.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wow, you are making judgements prior to seeing any of these players play. You're really out of touch, McCallum, Stillman and Larmand, I haven't seen McCallum and Larmand play but they are worthy where they been picked from people I spoke too. Stillman and Larmand can also play wing.

Stillman can play right wing, he was the NOHA Player of the Year and a member of Team Ontario at the 2019 CAnada Winter Games, offered a scholarship with Providence and invited to US Hockey program. Larmand, can play left wing, he has good numbers, was Ontario team. I have faith in Papineau, I like this group, they sound they have speed, skill and grit, those my type of players.

Just curious have you seen Butler play? it seems you crowned him already.

I’m sure management did their homework and drafted the players they wanted. But, WJ is not wrong in suggesting McCallum & Larmand were reaches where picked. I saw ranks of 32, 62, 84 for McCallum... no mocks had him round 1. Larmand had ranks of 61, 181, 52.
I also agree there can be concern about Butler not signing yet.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Again, they are not just Centres they can play wing. We have many our Defence coming back, so forwards were the focus, also the D we drafted I think we did very well.

What are you talking about Cub? Since when do 14/15 year old kids change positions? This suggestion of teenagers being able to move from C to the wing is sorcery I tells ya! :laugh:

Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I’m sure management did their homework and drafted the players they wanted. But, WJ is not wrong in suggesting McCallum & Larmand were reaches where picked. I saw ranks of 32, 62, 84 for McCallum... no mocks had him round 1. Larmand had ranks of 61, 181, 52.
I also agree there can be concern about Butler not signing yet.

Again, scouting list is just that, look a SSM, London, etc they go off the board all the time and do well. We had David Levin, Owen Lalonde, Owen Gilhula etc higher than a lot of players during the draft year. You have to have faith in your scouting staff and draft players they think fits best for them, unless its a for sure like Byfield.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Again, scouting list is just that, look a SSM, London, etc they go off the board all the time and do well. We had David Levin, Owen Lalonde, Owen Gilhula etc higher than a lot of players during the draft year. You have to have faith in your scouting staff and draft players they think fits best for them, unless its a for sure like Byfield.

Bad examples as Levin, Lalonde, Gihula were picked in very close range of where they were ranked. But yeah, teams go off the board; especially this year.

Reactions: hockieguy

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Bad examples as Levin, Lalonde, Gihula were picked in very close range of where they were ranked. But yeah, teams go off the board; especially this year.

not sure if bad example, All three haven't hit expectations of worthy of where they were ranked. Why have a scouting staff if your going to just base your picks on scouting ranking list, alot of them are out to lunch.

Reactions: hockieguy and WaW

member 236327

I have no issue with the second round picks! I believe our first rounder was a second round pick. My opinion. I think they could have got a better position player in the first. Why so many centers? When we drafted so many over the last two years. I guess we will see. One thing is for sure without UKKO the last two drafts will say a lot.

WJ

Because players can't adapt to different forward positions. You can teach a player how to play the wing, you can't teach a player how to win faceoffs consistently. With the amount of times our guys were kicked out of the dot the last series, it never hurts having 3 players who can win a faceoff.. Not completely why those players were picked, but you get my point.

Reactions: WolvesFan

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014

WJ
I would even venture that McCallum would have been available at 75.Pilon style players dont get picked to the middle rounds because the league is skill and speed driven
Ottawa is ecstatic that Sirrizotti dropped to them and so they should be.Prospects Pipeline and other scouts had Larman and McCallum ranked at 55 and 75.Stop reaching for picks all the time in the early rounds.If you want to gamble in the middle or even preferably in the later rounds.Wolves drafting record over the years has been abysmal when we go this route

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I would even venture that McCallum would have been available at 75.Pilon style players dont get picked to the middle rounds because the league is skill and speed driven
Ottawa is ecstatic that Sirrizotti dropped to them and so they should be.Prospects Pipeline and other scouts had Larman and McCallum ranked at 55 and 75.Stop reaching for picks all the time in the early rounds.If you want to gamble in the middle or even preferably in the later rounds.Wolves drafting record over the years has been abysmal when we go this route

we have picked players in their rankings and backfired. McCallum would not lasted past the first round, Ottawa was high on him. Sirrizotti was passed by not just the Wolves, so maybe there is a reason, he ended up being a second round pick. Have you seen McCallum play? just curious making alot of comments based on scouting rankings, but I don't think you ever seen him play.

Reactions: hockeynorth

member 236327

There are a lot of forward spots up for grabs this year. If the first 3 picks are signed plus Butler that replaces the four forwards who are leaving and that doesn't factor in the other vets that will be traded or released.

I am betting some more signings will be announced after rookie camp.
That being said, let's name some past signings in the offseason that didn't do too bad... I'll start, Alan L...

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
First off congrats to Byfield. Well deserved Rookie Honours. He was a pleasure to watch.

As far as drafts and signings and scouting reports, I say this..you don't know anything until they start playing for you.
Levin was the 99 1st overall that came to Sudbury because no one would report. He has improved slowly but has had many set backs due to injury. We will never know how many kids refused to report to Sudbury that year but it must have been alot as there are quite a few signed players from that 1st round. Put that aside even a good rookie camp and camp performance doesn't guarantee anything as we kept Garagan based on those performances that year and what did he do in the OHL over his career..nothing. I trust Stillman will select the kids he sees something in, that he can work with, I trust his judgement even though I may not see what he sees. I do firmly believe that a kid is better off playing Junior B or Junior A then sitting on the bench in the OHL. I can' t say that Butler should be signed or not. I havent seen him play.
The off season debate would make more sense if we were talking about who stays and goes from this year as we have something to base it on.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Why do you guys get hard ons over the pre draft ranks and where they actually went? Rankings are complete BS
So if 5 reputable scouting services have a player ranked in the 4th round then our scouts must know better.The point I am making is why the rush to pick him in the first at 15 when he would have been available later on.We could have secured another natural scorer ,which this team is always deficient at.The Wolves have never had an elite scoring team yet these type of teams have championship aspirations.

Reactions: Wolfpak and dirty12

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
So if 5 reputable scouting services have a player ranked in the 4th round then our scouts must know better.The point I am making is why the rush to pick him in the first at 15 when he would have been available later on.We could have secured another natural scorer ,which this team is always deficient at.The Wolves have never had an elite scoring team yet these type of teams have championship aspirations.
Reports had Ottawa taking him in the first the night before, he was going to be gone long before then. I have a feeling theres a specific reason we did not take Sirizzotti (I was dying for him too)

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Look where London took local boy McCue, that was as big if not a bigger reach then our picks. At 15 I believe you don't really know, especially free lance scouts. There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff, and scouts faith, that goes into the draft

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
We also have no idea if they are planning to make run..if they are then the 16 year olds will have very little to do with how that happens. I wouldn't make any assumptions on who should have been picked or why. If everything blows up next year then lets talk about mistakes.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For sure, ask Tony Cirelli a walk on for Oshawa and a pretty good player.

And Debrincat, Lyszcarczyck,...C.Giroux, and many others; what is your point here? The poster questioned why take kids at 15 and 26 when reputable scouting sites have those players ranked at 37, 62, 84 and 181, 61, 52. No matter how much the wolves staff were crushing on the kids, would it not be worth the risk of missing out on them by waiting until round 2 or 4 respectively? After all, the reasons scouting reports and player rankings are made is because the GMs & head scouts want to know what others are thinking about the players they covet; and, where in the draft they make the value pick.
As Cub says, everyone should form their own opinion, not just have blind faith in the GM and his scouts.

Reactions: cub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad