Steals of the Draft

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You realize that thread was created a year after the draft... A lot easier to call for "steals" then.

The average fan is gonna call a player a steal if he is drafted a lot later than what was projected on public rankings since they never saw most players outside the first round play... Or maybe a few highlights if said player was playing with better/highly touted players (a la Jack Wise).
What is your point. I just provide.....and thread was created 6 months into the season.

No reason to get excited.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Can you provide some details on Khovanov? Been reading up on him a bit and seems he fell in the draft due to some sort of illness?
I'm not too familiar with him. The reason I have him as a steal is because he was touted as a pretty high pick before he caught hepatitis A on vacation I believe. Without the illness he could've been a very high pick so the talent is there.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Zadina for the wings was unthinkable,
Canuck fans didn’t even thing Hughes will be there

Islanders first 2 picks was awesome. Those 2 were top 10 picks.

Jan 21, 2018
Can you provide some details on Khovanov? Been reading up on him a bit and seems he fell in the draft due to some sort of illness?

Basically HFBoards is in love with players that get sick/injured and thus could have potentially been a much higher pick if they were healthy.

But they forget that it also means they could have slipped even further in the draft if they were healthy enough to play the full season so scouts could have a better picture of how much he sucks.

Remember Jared Cowen getting injured in his draft year and the Sens taking him top 10 because he had untapped potential LOL

Reactions: derriko

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Players taken in the first round are not steals

steals are players taken after like the 50th pick

Maybe not "steals" but a few first round players this year who were projected to go higher dropped. Sometimes players drop for good reason, but if a player who dropped lives to their projected potential, it is arguably a very good value selection

Cam Fowler is a good example

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes great. Had him ranked 17th overall in my latest ranking.

Hes a guy that has really high potential, he controls the play, he can score from anywhere, heads up player that has the hands, the vision and the shot to be a threat in anyway you want. He fell because he had an injury and his conditioning was poor. He needs to get stronger too. Hes the kind of player that either becomes Kuznetsov or goes oversees and becomes Shipachiov.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Maybe not "steals" but a few first round players this year who were projected to go higher dropped. Sometimes players drop for good reason, but if a player who dropped lives to their projected potential, it is arguably a very good value selection

Cam Fowler is a good example
Yeah but calling Zadina and Hughes a steal... at 6 and 7... come on.

Reactions: Eichel9

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure about this. David Pastrnak at 25 isn’t a steal because it was in the 1st round?

Seems rather arbitrary.

pasty was listed by most to be a late first rounder--so he went where he was supposed to and was scouted enough to get some determination of being a good player

for me people bend over backwards to suggest first rounders are not steals but yet they were good enough to get taken in the first round

Players taken in the first round have an above average chance of making the nhl

guys taken on the second day? now those guys are steals

Reactions: Eichel9

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Agreed.

I wouldn't call anyone taken in the top 15 a "steal" either. I think that Zadina and Hughes are potential good value selections, but c'mon they only fell a couple spots each

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Agreed.

I wouldn't call anyone taken in the top 15 a "steal" either. I think that Zadina and Hughes are potential good value selections, but c'mon they only fell a couple spots each
Maybe wahlstrom or Dobson, because they fell out of that top 9 that most believed were neck and neck, because of Kravtsov and Hayton went ahead. I wouldnt say any of the top 9 picks are steals.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Players taken in the first round are not steals

steals are players taken after like the 50th pick
With that in mind:

Jakub Lauko: Almost all the scouting mentioned his speed. Here on HF boards he was in quite a few lists for top 5 skaters. Combined with decent international numbers and playing in a professional league as 17-year-old, I think he has potential to be quite a steal.

Johnny Gruden: Decent numbers in USNTDP and wore a letter on U18 team. Seems like a good combination of skill and intangibles. Can't ask for more from a 4th rounders.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Wow, 4 steals for one team in one draft.

You guys are going to be really good in a few years if Bergevin and Timmins keep up like that.

The Habs were also seen as clear winners in 2013 and that didn’t amount to anything. I’m cautiously optimistic despite really liking our draft.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
pasty was listed by most to be a late first rounder--so he went where he was supposed to and was scouted enough to get some determination of being a good player

for me people bend over backwards to suggest first rounders are not steals but yet they were good enough to get taken in the first round

Players taken in the first round have an above average chance of making the nhl

guys taken on the second day? now those guys are steals

I’m not talking about someone who just “makes the NHL”, I’m talking about the best scoring forward in the entire draft. You can’t reduce Pastrnak’s value to just “oh, anyone taken in the 1st should probably make the NHL”.

Also you do realize 25 is only 6 spots from the 2nd round right?

So if he goes 6 spots later, he’s magically a steal? But because he went 25 he’s not? Despite being arguably the best forward taken in the entire draft.

That makes zero sense. If you can get the best forward in the draft and it’s not within the first half dozen picks, it’s a steal. Full stop.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

It depends on how highly you rate the player I suppose. Since for most Zadina was #3, getting him at #6 is a steal. If you had Hughes rated #3 or #4 he'd be a steal at #7. But if you had him in the teens like me, he would not be a steal for you. There is a bigger pick-to-pick value drop at the top of the draft than at the bottom. So, given how highly people have rated Dahlin, he'd be a steal for most if he went #2.

Another example from last year. I had Jokiharju ranked mid-teens, so for me he was a steal at #29. So he probably was for the Hawks who I think had him rated #10(?). But his consensus ranking was at the bottom of he 1st, so for most he would not qualify as a steal. It's all relative to personal opinion of prospect's value, there is no objective steal until many years later.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It depends on how highly you rate the player I suppose. Since for most Zadina was #3, getting him at #6 is a steal. If you had Hughes rated #3 or #4 he'd be a steal at #7. But if you had him in the teens like me, he would not be a steal for you. There is a bigger pick-to-pick value drop at the top of the draft than at the bottom. So, given how highly people have rated Dahlin, he'd be a steal for most if he went #2.

Another example from last year. I had Jokiharju ranked mid-teens, so for me he was a steal at #29. So he probably was for the Hawks who I think had him rated #10(?). But his consensus ranking was at the bottom of he 1st, so for most he would not qualify as a steal. It's all relative to personal opinion of prospect's value, there is no objective steal until many years later.
The thing is, there was a pretty clear top 9, for most of the people that followed the draftx top 10 or 11 depending on who you include.

I had a few guys in groups that were in a similar spot. Dahlin, svech then I had Kotkaniemi and Boqvist, then I had Zadina with Dobson and Hughes... etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad