Steals of the Draft

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Kaut, and pretty much all of Detroit's picks until round 3 could end up as steals (Zadina, Veleno- not convinced on his upside but at #30 that's a fine risk, Berggren, MacIssac, Regula).

Ishakov, Stotts, Lauko, Khavnov are all promising sleeper-types as well. Odds are not with them though.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
The thing is, there was a pretty clear top 9, for most of the people that followed the draftx top 10 or 11 depending on who you include.

I had a few guys in groups that were in a similar spot. Dahlin, svech then I had Kotkaniemi and Boqvist, then I had Zadina with Dobson and Hughes... etc.

That's fine, and that's your perspective on the rankings. The point is that you can't tell people not to think someone is a steal, just like you can't tell them to accept your ranking. You can agree or disagree, but every opinion is valid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Johnny Gruden: Decent numbers in USNTDP and wore a letter on U18 team. Seems like a good combination of skill and intangibles. Can't ask for more from a 4th rounders.

Gruden sucks. His numbers were inflated by playing with high picks. He picked up a lot of passenger points. I thought he held back his teammates, actually. He would get in their way, and mess up shifts where the team could've had a goal. He can't finish, he can't pass, he has a bad hockey IQ, he's not good defensively. He skates well, works hard and his size isn't bad, but thats about it. Maybe he has intangibles. I don't know, but he's not a good hockey player. I'd be surprised if he ends up better than a 13th forward. His game reminds me a lot of Jimmy Vesey. He wore an "A", but the coach of the team was a former teammate of his father, so I'm not sure how much I'd regard that. Maybe he actually earned it on merit and his teammates voted for it, but the coach gave him ice time he didn't deserve over better players than him, and I suspect it was due to his father being a former teammate of the coach.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Dobson and Wahltrom falling to 11th and 12th OV was like winning the jackpot twice for NYI, unbelievable luck... Im not as high on Wilde and Iskhakov though, Wilde has one of the lowest hockey IQ in the draft while Iskhakov is a perimeter player, perfect for the KHL, not so much for the NHL...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not sure why being a first rounder disqualifies a player as a steal. If the Buffalo scouting staff got drunk and picked someone other than Dahlin at #1, he would have been the biggest steal even if he only dropped one or two spots.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
First rounders can absolutely be steals. Everyone knew Filip Forsberg was one when he slipped in his draft. Well...everyone but Washington.

Same with Boston passing on Barzal three times in a row. We knew.

Reactions: Name Nameless

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
There is many i can think of. Berggren, Ylonen, Wilde, Thomas feels like first round players to me. Shafigullin i do not really understand why he was píck in the 3 round. Gruden, Fonstad, Kovalenko, wise, Nordgren, i think is worth mention as well. Wahlstrom and zadina is to me the biggest steals among the top drafted.

I have not seen much of him, but i like what i saw, Kivenmäki, same goes for Der-Arguchintsev, he seems to have alot of talent much more than the numbers show, but he is small ofc.

Do not think there is any big difference between F Johansson that goes in the first round and Ragnarsson going in the 3 round. I much rather spend a 3 round pick on Ragnarsson than a 1 round pick on F Johansson easily.

From what i have seen, a personal favorite is Perunovich, he is maybe not so underrated in the draft consider he is 2 years older. But I would have him top 3 in the draft if he would not have been overrage, but now he is so...

If i had to pick one, it would be Berggren. I think he can be a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frk It

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I dono about steals, but Woo reminds me of Kevin bieksa, and Madden seems like he has a good solid hockey kit.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I thought Edmonton did well. Bouchard and McLeod how no business falling to us.

But in terms of steals, how can it not be the Islanders. Tell everyone before the draft that they wouldn't make any trades, but still come out with Wahlstrom, Dobson and Wilde? Nobody would believe you. Not to mention if any fan base needed a silver lining this summer...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
TOR's current steal was Kral in the 5th rounder. Kid has potential.

SDA at 76th has potential as well. Sandin has the potential to make getting him at 29 look like a steal as well.

That said, guys we think look like steals now, could end up being nothing, and guys we aren't even looking at, could end up being steals :laugh:

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
First rounders can absolutely be steals. Everyone knew Filip Forsberg was one when he slipped in his draft. Well...everyone but Washington.

Same with Boston passing on Barzal three times in a row. We knew.

Right. HFBoards also "knew" when Angelo Esposito was a steal on draft day. Same with Hunter Shinkauruk, Kiril Kabanov, Nikita Korostelev and Jordan Schroeder. Those guys fell hard on draft day, but HFBoards knew they were steals. People just choose to forget that they ever said that about all of these players.

Reactions: VictorLustig

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
3 round 77 jakub Lauko absolute steal. He was supposed to be a first round pick. The bruins are notorious for getting gems in second third rounds. Marchand bergeron donato Carlo to name a few.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
LIke I said the bruins scouting department are quite unique and different from others . They had Lauko 1st round . They know what they are doing. Look at that heinan 4 th round pick. Unreal.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Right. HFBoards also "knew" when Angelo Esposito was a steal on draft day. Same with Hunter Shinkauruk, Kiril Kabanov, Nikita Korostelev and Jordan Schroeder. Those guys fell hard on draft day, but HFBoards knew they were steals. People just choose to forget that they ever said that about all of these players.

That's a pretty sour outlook on life - do not try doing things because sometimes you are gonna fail at it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad