Steals of the Draft

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
ok... so you quoted someone's opinion. Almost everybody is going to have differing opinions so not sure exactly what that proves. I was just letting you know your homer was showing :sarcasm:
I'm sure you wanted people to choose Zadina or Veleno, who were good picks too.

Btw- Manny has created his own model that evaluates prospects based on statistics, and is well regarded in the stats community. So he is more than just your average opinion.

Reactions: Son of Petter

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
LIke I said the bruins scouting department are quite unique and different from others . They had Lauko 1st round . They know what they are doing. Look at that heinan 4 th round pick. Unreal.

I'm pretty sure every team will have off the board picks in the 1st round compared to what the scouting services have.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Christ what an ugly thread. Though some people called it with Barzal.

That draft was exceptional though, which makes it a lot easier to be right. It looks like teams that had average drafts in 2015 should end up with 2 long-term top-6/top 4 NHL players. Many teams will end up with 3. That's just crazy.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I thought the blue jackets did pretty well value wise.

But the Pick I really love is Gavrikov. If he commits to NA I think he will be a top4 defensive dman for them within 3-4 years.

This is actually a pretty solid call-out. He wanted to play in the Olympics for Russia before he came over. It's believed he's a NHL ready top 4 Dman, he just has to come fight for a spot next season.

If Carlsson makes the team next season and Gavrikov comes over the Jackets will have 4/6 dmen from one draft(Werenski, Carlsson Nuttivara (7th round) Gavrikov (6th round))

Reactions: SI90

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Did you just quote some random kids tweet as support and smuggly sit back like that proves your point? Yikes
You should look up who "that kid" is, and realize he created a very well-received statistical model that values Smith highly.

An aggregate of more traditional rankings had Smith #10, so getting a 7 pick plus value in the teens is a very big deal.

2018 NHL Draft: Top 100 Prospects Consensus Ranking

Reactions: Tv9924

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You mean over Barzal, Connor, Boeser.

Slightly defending the Bruins here but both Connor and Barzal were considered the consensus best guys left on the board, picking Boeser at the time would have been no different then picking DeBrusk(a guy rated a mid to late first round guy but definitely a tier below Barzal and Connor)

Reactions: Son of Petter

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Jake Wise, Niklas Nordgren, Calen Addison, Filip Hallander, Logan Hutsko, Jakub Lauko, Filip Kral, Jonatan Berggren

I was really happy the Pens got Addison and Hallander in the 2nd round. I believe they both have as much potential as many of the players picked in the 1st round. I also loved getting Almeida in the 5th round and felt that was very good value. Pens had a great draft considering they only had 4 picks and no 1st round pick (2 2nds, 5th, and 6th). I would be happy with getting those 3 players even out of a draft with all 7 picks.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Players taken in the first round are not steals

steals are players taken after like the 50th pick

I guess since you expect 1st round picks to make it to the NHL and do well you have a point although many 1st round picks don't make it. The Pens 1st two picks are taken after the 50th pick though (53 Addison and 58 Hallander) and I believe both have as much upside and are just as good of prospects as the players drafted in the 2nd half of the 1st round. Love the value and believe we got 2 1st round pick prospects in the late 2nd round. Just like when the Pens drafted Sprong late 2nd I believed he was 1st round ability and was a steal and these guys give me the same beliefs.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Riley Stotts I think might be. I feel Toronto will trade him at the deadline as part of a deal.

Thing is Stotts could be a 1LW, but he could be a career AHLer that goes up and down back and forth then finds a career in Europe.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
IMO First round steals were

- Ty Smith
- Oliver Wahlstrom
- Joe Veleno

Outside the first round I'd say

-Serron Noel
- Ryan McLeod
-Akil Thomas
-Sean Durzi
-Jacob Olofsson
-Jake Wise
-David Gustafsson
-Jakub Lauko
-John Gruden
-Cole Fonstad
-Justin Almeida
-Philip Kral
-Shawn Boudrias
-Marcus Westfelt

Last edited:
Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gruden? What?

I feel like 99% of the people who name him in these lists have not seen him play hockey, and list him because he scored a decent amount of points this season.

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
Some people may already have mentioned him but Lauri Pajuniemi could be a really good pick and may develope into a decent NHL player. For a pick in the 5th round he is nothing but a great steal.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->