Starting Goalie

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Hart in particular was farther along in his development than Stolarz.

Stolarz played 50 NAHL games in his draft year. Hart played 69 WHL games.

Hart signed his ELC in the October after he was drafted. Stolarz didn't sign his ELC until March because he started off the season not playing much in college, then left to go to London where he only played 20 regular season OHL games, before playing 21 more in the playoffs.

In his draft + 2 season, Stolarz only played 40 Junior games due to a nasty skate cut to his leg.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2...-injury-flyers-prospect-london-knights-goalie

Sandstrom is also substantially ahead of where Stolarz was at the same age. He's playing in a men's league and extensively in all of the international tournaments.

To me Sandstrom, could easily be in North America after next season or potentially jump right to the NHL in 2 years from the SHL. He's already been playing at a level of competition that isn't far off from the AHL.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Has Niemi's name surfaced in any Flyer rumors? If so I would advise only bringing him in as an exclusive cheap #2 (Playing 20-30 games)

I was open to Niemi back to Hawks for cheap as #2 but his reflexes (His most valuable asset in past) are no longer what they were. He is still strong down low but cant recover when down fast enough anymore

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Has Niemi's name surfaced in any Flyer rumors? If so I would advise only bringing him in as an exclusive cheap #2 (Playing 20-30 games)

I was open to Niemi back to Hawks for cheap as #2 but his reflexes (His most valuable asset in past) are no longer what they were. He is still strong down low but cant recover when down fast enough anymore

Hopefully not. As that would make Neuvirth the #1. He can be inconsistent & always ends up on the IR. So Niemi wouldn't be a true backup here & good chance at times he's going to be leaned on as a #1.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Dude should have made this a poll so everyone could go on record. Then we can laugh at all of the people who keep saying it's just going to be Neuvirth and Stolarz.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Steve Mason, Jonathan Bernier, Ryan Miller, Brian Elliott, Anders Nilsson, Keith Kinkaid.

Who on that list is going to make you or anyone else happy other than the people who think Mason is a legitimate number 1 goalie.

probably none of them :laugh:(not talkng about myself, most everyone here in general)
I think Nilsson or Kinkaid would probably **** off the most folks tho

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
probably none of them :laugh:(not talkng about myself, most everyone here in general)
I think Nilsson or Kinkaid would probably **** off the most folks tho

I don't see a huge difference between anyone on that list. I prefer them in that order for sure but other than the handful of elite goalies and a few who are close to that level, goalies are like relief pitchers in major league baseball. Year to year you never know what you are going to get.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don't see a huge difference between anyone on that list. I prefer them in that order for sure but other than the handful of elite goalies and a few who are close to that level, goalies are like relief pitchers in major league baseball. Year to year you never know what you are going to get.

so you are ok with Kinkaid or Nilsson over Mason or Miller?

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Just a hunch.
It could be Elliot but would like to see what Hextall says about his playoffs last year. How the goaltending situation is being handled so far seems like he doesn't think we have a shot this year. Lets enjoy the youth movement. It is the summer of Peace and Love and Youth.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It could be Elliot but would like to see what Hextall says about his playoffs last year. How the goaltending situation is being handled so far seems like he doesn't think we have a shot this year. Lets enjoy the youth movement. It is the summer of Peace and Love and Youth.

Jesus god, some of you. The difference between Mason and Bernier or Elliott isn't that great. The rest of the team also appears to be improved. Their "chances" of making the playoffs should be pretty similar to what they were the last couple of years.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Jesus god, some of you. The difference between Mason and Bernier or Elliott isn't that great. The rest of the team also appears to be improved. Their "chances" of making the playoffs should be pretty similar to what they were the last couple of years.
Geez. Can't you feel the Peace and Love and Youth Summer Movement? I just cant wait for July 1st to come and be over with. Hextall may be magical again. Then have to see one day of development camp and thats it for hockey for the summer for me. Its going to be stacked at that camp.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

But that's not totally true.

Last 3 year, Mason and Bernier both have a worst year of .908....so cancel them

Bernier's other 2 years are .912 and 915.
Mason's other 2 years are . 918 and .928

To me, with Bernier, you get the same low end as Mason might hit, but not the upside either. The only reason this is even being discussed is the ORDER in which seasons have happened. Bernier had a better season, so is seen as a viable option now. But his .915 is still worse that Mason's average of .918 with the Flyers.

If Mason had a .918 SV% with us this year! everyone would be screaming to get him back. Reality is that he is not as bad as he was last year, and not as good as his high year. Hence why I see him at that .918 guy.

But whoever we get, we are going to be in a goalie cycle for the next 3-5 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
really not that much difference between .918 and .915 over the course of a season. Whoever the Flyers sign we are probably going to have to live with the inconsistencies to some degree. even with Mason.

No but that .915 is Bernier HIGH point the last 3 years. So why would we expect higher?

Mason has 3 out of the last 4 years at . 917 or more.

Hence why I prefer Mason....the odds are in his favour to be better since he usually is.

That's all.

Last 3 years for goalies who played 100 games:

Mason .918 good for 12th in the league.
Bernier .912 good for 30th in the league.

There IS a difference.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
No but that .915 is Bernier HIGH point the last 3 years. So why would we expect higher?

Mason has 3 out of the last 4 years at . 917 or more.

Hence why I prefer Mason....the odds are in his favour to be better since he usually is.

That's all.

you never know. when the Flyers acquired Mason did anyone expect what he gave this team? The circumstances between then and now are obviously different. Not saying I prefer Bernier over Mason. Its just that you never know with goalies. Did anyone expect Martin Jones or Talbot to succeed where they are?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
But that's not totally true.

Last 3 year, Mason and Bernier both have a worst year of .908....so cancel them

Bernier's other 2 years are .912 and 915.
Mason's other 2 years are . 918 and .928

To me, with Bernier, you get the same low end as Mason might hit, but not the upside either. The only reason this is even being discussed is the ORDER in which seasons have happened. Bernier had a better season, so is seen as a viable option now. But his .915 is still worse that Mason's average of .918 with the Flyers.

If Mason had a .918 SV% with us this year! everyone would be screaming to get him back. Reality is that he is not as bad as he was last year, and not as good as his high year. Hence why I see him at that .918 guy.

But whoever we get, we are going to be in a goalie cycle for the next 3-5 years.
Steve Mason career save percentage of .911
Jonathan Bernier career save percentage of .915

At the end of the day there is no clear distinction between Mason and Bernier as NHL goalies. Even IF he is the .918 save percentage guy you see him to be moving forward, Bernier's career numbers are basically just that. I would prefer Mason, but at the end of the day I don't think it's going to make a big difference for the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00