Starting Goalie

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Meltzer being critical of the Flyers :amazed:

Bill Meltzer†@billmeltzer
Replying to @BologneseLaw
I haven't been able to follow the logic behind the short-term goalie plan. It's a concern at this point.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Put Murray in Philly or Arizona or any other teams that don't play solid team d he wouldn't be that great. Any of these goalies remaining will be fine so don' trade for one.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have a feeling that Matt Murray isn't going to be able to hold up to the rigors of the league and is going to become permacrocked. This is, like, 75% wishful thinking and 25% hunch, but he is a very slight guy who looks sickly (and who wouldn't, living and playing in that vast dirty toilet of a city) on his best day, and has already been facing injuries. I don't know what my point is, since I just woke up from a big nap. I guess my point is this: f*** the Panguins. Amen.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
C'mon...what doesn't Meltzer understand...Stolarz is going to be the savior once,twice etc etc. Neuvirth goes down with injuries...PLURAL :sarcasm:

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I'm not sure which one of them, but I think the Flyers sign one of the relatively cheap options. By the end of the year Stolarz is the starter. Just a hunch.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can understand where Bill is coming from.

Most of the best options will want more than 2 years.

So if you end up with poor goaltending in 17-18 because you didn't want to hand out 3 or 4 year contracts JUST IN CASE Hart or Sandstrom are NHL ready in 2 years, you are taking a big gamble on the most important position on the ice.

I would have no problem trading Neuvirth right now, signing Mason for 4 years, then when Hart or Sandstrom are ready to push Mason..the worst thing that can happen is he ends up a back-up for 2 years like Fleury was for Pittsburgh once Murray took over.

Imagine something along these lines..

17-18 - Mason/Stolarz
18-19 - Mason/Stolarz

Summer 2019 - Stolarz traded for Draft pick

19-20 - Hart or Sandstrom battle Mason for #1 duties
20-21 - Hart or Sandstrom/Mason

Summer 2020 - Mason leaves as UFA

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I think it is crazy that anyone would think Hart or Sandstrom take a shorter route than Stolarz has. Especially under Hextall. You never know with goalie prospects anyway.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think it is crazy that anyone would think Hart or Sandstrom take a shorter route than Stolarz has. Especially under Hextall. You never know with goalie prospects anyway.

Yeah it is possible, but it's not a guarantee..so going short-term right now creates some uncertainty.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Meltzer being critical of the Flyers :amazed:

Bill Meltzer†@billmeltzer
Replying to @BologneseLaw
I haven't been able to follow the logic behind the short-term goalie plan. It's a concern at this point.

I agree with Bill - it's a concern.

Current goaltenders:

Injury concern
No one
Rookie organization isn't confident in yet

:laugh:

Might be harder than the Flyers think to get a guy who doesn't want term-- or a particular amount of starts. Or get paid low enough he will be okay being overtaken by a young prospect eventually, but if he isn't paid very well, then how good could he be, etc?

MIGHT be harder.

You want someone good / decent because you learn more from winning than losing. Done a good job building from the net out until now. Don't want to gum it up.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If Neuvirth could stay healthy, the future wouldn't look so cloudy but that's probably not going to happen.
As for Hart and Sandstorm, next year they are in Juniors and SEL respectively. '18-19 they could both be in the AHL but that would be awkward. I can see Hart in the A and Sandstorm taking another year in Sweden. '19-20 one of them would be a Flyers backup, the other in the A. In 20-21 at the earliest, one of the two is the main starter. That's plenty of time to use a veteran goaltender here like Elliott or Miller.
I don't buy Miller being stuck on the west coast because his wife is an actress. They're not together that much during the season anyway with away games and her out of town acting commitments. He's from Michigan originally so I could see him being open to a contract from Philly if the money and duration was right.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Sandstrom plays another year in Sweden after 17-18 he can become a free agent on 6/1/19. Hextall will be doing everything he can to get him to sign his ELC next summer.

It's not crazy. Stolarz was much bigger and much rawer than them when he was drafted.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
It's not crazy. Stolarz was much bigger and much rawer than them when he was drafted.

It is crazy based on the history of goalie prospects. So many had much bigger hype and didn't turn out.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm glad the Flyers have focused on drafting D men and more goalies. It was such an irritating organizational flaw for far too long that we didn't develop homegrown D men or a number 1 goalie. I mean look at the Rangers with their goaltending luck....I mean King Henrik was what a 7th rounder??? WTF! I bet they have another heir apparent in their system already..or at least they better hope they do.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
It is crazy based on the history of goalie prospects. So many had much bigger hype and didn't turn out.

I think your sentiment is appropriate. That is, it is 100% plausible that both Hart and Sandstrom are busts. To me, the point of not investing a ton in a long term goalie option is a combination of wanting to see these guys develop and an appreciation of the fact that the goalie market is poor right now, so why get stuck long term with a bad option.

Its entirely plausible that in a year the Flyers could (for example) trade a pick for an emerging goaltender thats stuck behind some other teams veteran or make a big offer for a veteran UFA, but the truth of the matter is that there isn't an option on the board to do that effectively today.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Hart and Sandstrom are probably better prospects than Stolie at this stage though.

I wouldn't bank on it but it wouldn't be that surprising to see them come along a little faster

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hart and Sandstrom are probably better prospects than Stolie at this stage though.

I wouldn't bank on it but it wouldn't be that surprising to see them come along a little faster

Hart in particular was farther along in his development than Stolarz.

Stolarz played 50 NAHL games in his draft year. Hart played 69 WHL games.

Hart signed his ELC in the October after he was drafted. Stolarz didn't sign his ELC until March because he started off the season not playing much in college, then left to go to London where he only played 20 regular season OHL games, before playing 21 more in the playoffs.

In his draft + 2 season, Stolarz only played 40 Junior games due to a nasty skate cut to his leg.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2...-injury-flyers-prospect-london-knights-goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad