Starting Goalie

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Still betting on Mason returning.

And when he does, you better believe I'm going to be smug about being right all along. ;)

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I think Mason as well. I hope he does actually, I have money riding on Mason being the opening night starter. Just don't see much of a market for him

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...agency-looking-for-a-goaltender-20170627.html

Carchidi actually writes an article that isn't terrible.

"The Flyers will be pushing their shopping carts through the free-agent market when it opens for business Saturday, trying to sign someone who can bridge the gap until Carter Hart, Felix Sandstrom, or another prospect is NHL-ready in two or three years.

Yes, the Flyers are on another Great Goalie Search.

Maybe they get past their philosophical differences and re-sign Steve Mason.

Maybe they take a chance on an inexpensive goalie like Keith Kinkaid or Mike Condon.

Maybe they sign a veteran like Jonathan Bernier, Brian Elliott, or Antti Niemi.

One thing is certain: General manager Ron Hextall is not comfortable going with Michal Neuvirth and Anthony Stolarz as his tandem, so it would be a major surprise if they didn’t fill up their shopping cart this weekend.

Assuming Hextall doesn’t trade for Vegas’ Calvin Pickard or some other goalie, he probably will pick from a lean group of free agents. A look at some of the candidates:

Brian Elliott (last salary-cap hit: $2.5 million). Elliott, a 32-year-old who once starred at the University of Wisconsin, had a so-so season with Calgary (2.55 goals-against average, .910 save percentage) after five mostly excellent years with defensively strong St. Louis teams. He would be a safe choice for Hextall.

Keith Kinkaid (last cap hit: $725,000). Hey, he went to Union College, the Flyers’ unofficial farm team (see Shayne Gostisbehere and Mike Vecchione), so that makes him a candidate. He had a 2.64 goals-against average and .916 save percentage last season with the Devils, and he was lights-out in three games against the Flyers (3-0, 1.00 GAA, .967 save percentage). The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Kinkaid, who turns 28 on Tuesday, is a native of Farmingville, N.Y.

Steve Mason (last cap hit: $4.1 million). Mason, a solid but not spectacular goalie, says a team must have a defined No. 1 starter. Hextall says he plans a platoon for 2017-18. So why does the GM insist that the door isn’t closed yet? The fact is, Mason would have been the defined No. 1 if the Flyers had signed him during the season. Instead, they puzzled everyone by signing the injury-prone Neuvirth  and then not protecting him in the expansion draft.

Mike Condon (last cap hit: $575,000). A Princeton alumnus, the 6-2, 197-pound Condon had a 2.50 GAA and .914 save percentage in 40 games with Ottawa last season. With Carey Price injured, he was Montreal’s primary starter in 2015-16 (2.71 GAA, .903 save percentage). He had a very good AHL season before playing for the Habs, but is the 27-year-old Condon really much of an upgrade over Stolarz?

Jonathan Bernier (last cap hit: $4.15 million). He was drafted by Los Angeles (first round in 2006) when Hextall was there, so there’s that. Bernier, 28, has never quite lived up to his potential, but he did spend three of his seasons with bad Toronto teams. With Anaheim last season, he had a 2.50 GAA and a .915 save percentage.

Ryan Miller (last cap hit: $6 million). Miller will turn 37 next month, and he is far from the same goalie who was a standout in Buffalo. In 54 games with Vancouver last season, he had a 2.80 GAA and a .914 save percentage. But it should be noted that Neuvirth’s .891 save percentage last season was the worst in the NHL among NHL goalies who played at least 15 games.

Anders Nilsson (last cap hit: $1 million): Nilsson is proof that size  he’s 6-6 and 229 pounds  doesn’t always produce a dominating goalie. His career numbers are pedestrian (2.94 GAA, .908 save percentage), although he was better than that with Buffalo last season (2.67, .923).

Antti Niemi (last cap hit: $4.5 million): Bought out of his contract by Dallas, Niemi was awful last year, compiling a 12-12-4 record with a 3.30 GAA and an .892 save percentage. His career numbers, however, are much better (2.49 GAA, .913 save percentage). Niemi, who will turn 34 before the season, was Chicago’s goalie when the Blackhawks beat the Flyers in the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals."

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...agency-looking-for-a-goaltender-20170627.html

Carchidi actually writes an article that isn't terrible.

"The Flyers will be pushing their shopping carts through the free-agent market when it opens for business Saturday, trying to sign someone who can bridge the gap until Carter Hart, Felix Sandstrom, or another prospect is NHL-ready in two or three years.

Yes, the Flyers are on another Great Goalie Search.

Maybe they get past their philosophical differences and re-sign Steve Mason.

Maybe they take a chance on an inexpensive goalie like Keith Kinkaid or Mike Condon.

Maybe they sign a veteran like Jonathan Bernier, Brian Elliott, or Antti Niemi.

One thing is certain: General manager Ron Hextall is not comfortable going with Michal Neuvirth and Anthony Stolarz as his tandem, so it would be a major surprise if they didn’t fill up their shopping cart this weekend.

Assuming Hextall doesn’t trade for Vegas’ Calvin Pickard or some other goalie, he probably will pick from a lean group of free agents. A look at some of the candidates:

Brian Elliott (last salary-cap hit: $2.5 million). Elliott, a 32-year-old who once starred at the University of Wisconsin, had a so-so season with Calgary (2.55 goals-against average, .910 save percentage) after five mostly excellent years with defensively strong St. Louis teams. He would be a safe choice for Hextall.

Keith Kinkaid (last cap hit: $725,000). Hey, he went to Union College, the Flyers’ unofficial farm team (see Shayne Gostisbehere and Mike Vecchione), so that makes him a candidate. He had a 2.64 goals-against average and .916 save percentage last season with the Devils, and he was lights-out in three games against the Flyers (3-0, 1.00 GAA, .967 save percentage). The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Kinkaid, who turns 28 on Tuesday, is a native of Farmingville, N.Y.

Steve Mason (last cap hit: $4.1 million). Mason, a solid but not spectacular goalie, says a team must have a defined No. 1 starter. Hextall says he plans a platoon for 2017-18. So why does the GM insist that the door isn’t closed yet? The fact is, Mason would have been the defined No. 1 if the Flyers had signed him during the season. Instead, they puzzled everyone by signing the injury-prone Neuvirth — and then not protecting him in the expansion draft.

Mike Condon (last cap hit: $575,000). A Princeton alumnus, the 6-2, 197-pound Condon had a 2.50 GAA and .914 save percentage in 40 games with Ottawa last season. With Carey Price injured, he was Montreal’s primary starter in 2015-16 (2.71 GAA, .903 save percentage). He had a very good AHL season before playing for the Habs, but is the 27-year-old Condon really much of an upgrade over Stolarz?

Jonathan Bernier (last cap hit: $4.15 million). He was drafted by Los Angeles (first round in 2006) when Hextall was there, so there’s that. Bernier, 28, has never quite lived up to his potential, but he did spend three of his seasons with bad Toronto teams. With Anaheim last season, he had a 2.50 GAA and a .915 save percentage.

Ryan Miller (last cap hit: $6 million). Miller will turn 37 next month, and he is far from the same goalie who was a standout in Buffalo. In 54 games with Vancouver last season, he had a 2.80 GAA and a .914 save percentage. But it should be noted that Neuvirth’s .891 save percentage last season was the worst in the NHL among NHL goalies who played at least 15 games.

Anders Nilsson (last cap hit: $1 million): Nilsson is proof that size — he’s 6-6 and 229 pounds — doesn’t always produce a dominating goalie. His career numbers are pedestrian (2.94 GAA, .908 save percentage), although he was better than that with Buffalo last season (2.67, .923).

Antti Niemi (last cap hit: $4.5 million): Bought out of his contract by Dallas, Niemi was awful last year, compiling a 12-12-4 record with a 3.30 GAA and an .892 save percentage. His career numbers, however, are much better (2.49 GAA, .913 save percentage). Niemi, who will turn 34 before the season, was Chicago’s goalie when the Blackhawks beat the Flyers in the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals."

Wow. Not a bad article at all. He forgot the one we are getting though.
1. Mrazek
2. Nilsson
3. Condon/Miller/Bernie
16. Neuvy/Stolie
17. Mason

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Bernier I have a feeling the LA connection is strong. Also miller because of the name is easy to sell casual fans

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have already convinced myself it is going to be Bernier and Neuvy. I like Neuvy (when he isn't bedridden) more than the average on here, probably, and I have no idea what to think about Bernier, so ... meh. I have been down this road with this team for donkey's yonks, so it's nothing new. The one I am really waiting for is Sandstrom - he is my golden boy. I desperately want us to move on from Mason, but I am going to spare all of us the drama and the back-and-forth that an explanation would engender.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I have already convinced myself it is going to be Bernier and Neuvy. I like Neuvy (when he isn't bedridden) more than the average on here, probably, and I have no idea what to think about Bernier, so ... meh. I have been down this road with this team for donkey's yonks, so it's nothing new. The one I am really waiting for is Sandstrom - he is my golden boy. I desperately want us to move on from Mason, but I am going to spare all of us the drama and the back-and-forth that an explanation would engender.

Seriously, how can anyone not like the idea of the Swedish Oskar and Felix starring for the Flyers? They will be the Ödd Cöuple.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Would love Mrazek, or even for Mason to come back, but my gut says a Bernier/Neuvirth platoon is on the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->