Starting Goalie

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last three years Elliott has averaged 43 starts, .919 save %.

Basically we'll have two top backup goalies at backup salaries and terms, with two AHL goalies pushing for a job, and next year one or two new AHL goalies (depending on Sandstrom) pushing to be the long-term answer.

This provides Hextall with complete optionality, he can go with the veterans for two years, or trade one next summer, he can go with Elliott the third year or trade him and go with Hart/Sandstrom and Stolarz/Lyon.

Given that Mason was only a .908 goalie last year, unless Neuvirth fails to rebound, Flyers are almost certain to be better in goal.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Last three years Elliott has averaged 43 starts, .919 save %.

Basically we'll have two top backup goalies at backup salaries and terms, with two AHL goalies pushing for a job, and next year one or two new AHL goalies (depending on Sandstrom) pushing to be the long-term answer.

This provides Hextall with complete optionality, he can go with the veterans for two years, or trade one next summer, he can go with Elliott the third year or trade him and go with Hart/Sandstrom and Stolarz/Lyon.

Given that Mason was only a .908 goalie last year, unless Neuvirth fails to rebound, Flyers are almost certain to be better in goal.
I don't know about better in goal but I don't expect there to be a significant drop off or up tick despite what some are going to say about losing the great Steve Mason.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yep, ,Striker said that above and it's a good point. No need to just throw some kid to the Wolves completely by year three. Plus 2.75 million is barely starting goalie money so even if he ends as the backup that's not a problem.

Yeah 2.75 puts him at tied got 30th in goalie cap hits....with others still to sign. So had will likely be 30-35th highest paid goalie when everyone is signed. That's great value for what he typically has done. He is in the group of guys who all should have bounce back years.

Hopefully Neuvirth has a good year and we can trade him for an asset next year and have Stolie step in. Next summer could very likely see us trade 2 goalies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm glad that this thread is proving that Save Percentage does not show the whole story. Mrazek is by far the best of every Goalie mentioned (stats aside). He is the best positionally, rebound control, puck handling, lateral movement, and skating. I consider him top 5 in the league and he would prove this if the Flyers were to get him. This is coming from a Goalie guy and I'm usually pretty accurate in my assessments. He is the guy that we need to target, especially since Detroit was OK with letting him go. He is right there with Bob as far as skills go and I think his mental toughness will show with a change of scenery. I just hope it is with us and not somewhere else...

Thats my piece and I'll stop pushing Mrazek on everyone now.

P.S. Look at Elliots save percentage. He sucks and would be the worst possible option.

:popcorn:

You win some, you lose some.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I wanted to see what dumb shit I wrote in this thread, but this was my only post.

Trick question. We will have no #1 goalie.

giphy.gif

(I'm sure elsewhere I wrote something positive about acquiring Mrazek in the off-season and negative about Elliott)

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
You win some, you lose some.

And I still stand by this. Mrazek is a better Goalie than Elliot. I'm hoping he gets back in there and the team plays a little better in front of him. If Elliot is our Goalie in the Playoffs, we go no where.

I'm sure I could pull up plenty of old posts where each and every one of us said something that we think was wrong...

Reactions: captainpaxil

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I thought mrazek was the best option at the deadline we needed someone...Elliott if healthy seams to be the most consistent goalie we have so guessing he starts in the playoffs.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Lyon is streaky he has had his good games and bad games with the phantoms. That's why stolarz was ahead of him on the depth chart. Hoping he gets on a hot streak til Elliott gets back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad