SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018
Just looked at the Hounds GF/GA compared to the rest of the league. Rediculous. Almost the same as the Wolves, yet they are in 1st place in their division. Ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: HF92

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I dont see trades in this teams future other than potentially Hayton. If the team doesnt start winning, the GM and coaches are going to start feeling the heat.

Heats definitely on Raftis IMO after he was left at the table empty handed at the deadline last season. That was our chance to restock the cupboards as we were never a credible threat for the title but had some truly elite vets. Our vets this year are more of role guys whose return will not be too significant.

Reactions: hounds72

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Just looked at the Hounds GF/GA compared to the rest of the league. Rediculous. Almost the same as the Wolves, yet they are in 1st place in their division. Ha.

The shots back that up too. We've averaged 31.2 shots for and 28.9 against, which looks small, but is almost certainly one of the best marks in the league. We've only been outshot 5 times in 25 games, all in a 7 game stretch. We've given up 40 shots just once and held our opponent below 25 shots 6 times, which is a real rarity in today's game.

This season is probably one of the biggest outliers you'll ever see in the OHL. Teams that play this well almost never get results this bad. The Blues were like this last year so hopefully we'll see similar results :)

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
I just feel like teams went all in at the deadline for other players last year, kind of eliminating a market for the Hounds big guns. Not to mention those players were alot cheaper than players like Frost, Hollowell, Hayton packaged together. We could be in a way worse situation if Raftis decided to go all in and we lost... Also who knows what the cirumstances were that led to Raftis standing pat. Can't exactly just snap your fingers and make a deal

Reactions: jjhound

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
This is proof you live in a fantasy world. I haven't spoke to you in a long time and have ignored you in person when I have saw you, I actually stopped replying to you on here too.

well do a better job of ignoring me then. i don't care if you disagree with me, but calling others stupid is childish. agree to disagree and move on with life. i'm not changing my "hot takes" and neither are you.

i agree we will be a solid team next year and i look forward to it.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Our team is playing good hockey. We have had bad goaltending. Plain and simple

This team's gonna be scary next year

If Malik plays well when he comes, I would bet on us getting up to a 4-6 seed and to the second round of the playoffs.

By all metrics, we're playing as well or better than last year. It really makes me appreciate Villalta. I undervalued his contributions.

SuperMod

Nov 6, 2018
I agree with Hfp92. I can't see how there will be any heat on anybody... 6 straight second round appearances from this team and when was the last time they had a second round pick? I think it's only normal for this team to come back down to earth for a year or two. In my opinion, I know where the Greyhounds are in the standings but I can't help but be impressed by this young group each time I watch them. More food for thought, 6 out of the 15 losses have been by one goal. Given what this organization has been able to do with players like Hollowell, Kopacka, Timmins, Frost, Howdeshell, Verbeek I can't wait to see what Raftis does when given a favourable draft position if it does in fact come to that this year.
We don't have the same coaching staff now, than when these guys were developed.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Raftis has gone on record saying he believes in this group. If a contender isn't materializing in time for next season, someone is going to have to answer to that.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I just feel like teams went all in at the deadline for other players last year, kind of eliminating a market for the Hounds big guns. Not to mention those players were alot cheaper than players like Frost, Hollowell, Hayton packaged together. We could be in a way worse situation if Raftis decided to go all in and we lost... Also who knows what the cirumstances were that led to Raftis standing pat. Can't exactly just snap your fingers and make a deal

there really were not enough buyers by the end of the deadline as evidenced by the relatively low return for Durzi & Suzuki; but if Raftis made it clear Frost & Hayton were on the block at the WJC where those types of players are discussed, they would have been first to go. So, Raftis either had no intention of buying or selling; or, his price evaluations were not reasonable.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
there really were not enough buyers by the end of the deadline as evidenced by the relatively low return for Durzi & Suzuki; but if Raftis made it clear Frost & Hayton were on the block at the WJC where those types of players are discussed, they would have been first to go. So, Raftis either had no intention of buying or selling; or, his price evaluations were not reasonable.

Raftis and Owen Sound were in the process of finalizing a substantial trade at the deadline last year. I don't know exactly what happened, but they were extremely, extremely upset at Owen Sound management. I know some of the names and more details, but I'll let others read between the lines as not to break forum rules.

Suffice to say, however, that they were buyers and got screwed over by some unprofessional behaviour by another team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Raftis and Owen Sound were in the process of finalizing a substantial trade at the deadline last year. I don't know exactly what happened, but they were extremely, extremely upset at Owen Sound management. I know some of the names and more details, but I'll let others read between the lines as not to break forum rules.

Suffice to say, however, that they were buyers and got screwed over by some unprofessional behaviour by another team.

Storm acquire Nick Suzuki, Sean Durzi, and Zach Roberts from the Owen Sound Attack – Guelph Storm

Peca was acquired on the 4th? If Raftis was serious about buying, he could have bettered Guelph’s offer that was accepted on the 9th

Storm acquire Markus Phillips from Owen Sound Attack – Guelph Storm

I can’t imagine Raftis having any interest in bettering that picks deal

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Storm acquire Nick Suzuki, Sean Durzi, and Zach Roberts from the Owen Sound Attack – Guelph Storm

Peca was acquired on the 4th? If Raftis was serious about buying, he could have bettered Guelph’s offer that was accepted on the 9th

Storm acquire Markus Phillips from Owen Sound Attack – Guelph Storm

I can’t imagine Raftis having any interest in bettering that picks deal

If I wasn't clear in the previous post, Owen Sound had agreed to a trade and then backed out without giving the Greyhounds a chance to make another trade. They obviously intended to be buyers considering they were a bounce away from winning the conference.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If I wasn't clear in the previous post, Owen Sound had agreed to a trade and then backed out without giving the Greyhounds a chance to make another trade. They obviously intended to be buyers considering they were a bounce away from winning the conference.

A bounce away from winning the conference ;)

It really is not clear at all how OS backing out of trades talks would prevent the Soo from making another trade. The teams were talking minutes before the deadline? I do recall the Durzi/Suzuki trade being public but delayed a couple of days due to NTCs. And afterwards one or both players said they would not accept a trade if the other was not included. Still, that deal was official Jan.9. The Soo had time to make another if it was Durzi they were after.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWI Dale

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
That makes more sense than my theory. I agree with you. I wasn't upset with what Raftis did last year that's just my opinion.. He did not mortgage the future while keeping the team competitive for another year. Anyway, I just wanted to comment on the play of Rory Kerins. Sitting at just under a point per game, he's had a very good start to the year. Even though he's pointless in his last 4, I've been impressed with him each game ive watched.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Kerins hasn't just taken a step forward this year, he has taken a leap. Sometimes I forget these are teenagers, and how quickly their world changes - both physically and mentally - and how quickly they can improve.

Reactions: BehindSooNet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad