SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
I'm puzzled by the comment about learning to play at a high level in a competitive environment. He's already done that as much as any player can.

I expect a trade if he returns but I just can't see Arizona making that a condition of returning him to the OHL. That seems like a ridiculous stance to take if the alternative is keeping him in the press box in the NHL.

All there is left to do in the OHL is go for a deep run. Playing with the hounds this year wont teach him help him further. Being shipped off to a contender is the only thing really to help him develop more, if he isn’t staying in the NHL. AHL he can’t go to. So that’s originally why I believe they’ll send him back on conditions he’s traded. With O’Rourke being named captain perhaps a deal is already in the works with Barrett 100% leaving. Until wjc I guess he stays with Arizona to practice with the pros.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hayton is coming back on condition we are trading him. If not Arizona will just recall Hayton. But he’s coming back for WJC then returning here for a trade. He’ll go to Peterborough for a load of picks. I don’t have any source. I don’t care to suggest I’m some inside asshat who is out to brag that they know before anyone else, rather than keep their information tight lipped and maintain trust to the one who told them. But I prefer to make predictions based what I observe across the league and what I think can be very, very likely to happen. If I’m right I’ll open up a rye bottle I bought several years ago and have a drink. If I’m wrong, I had fun playing. Let the most picks fill our cupboards!

maybe, who knows really. Maybe, Hayton feels some need to atone for snubbing the Petes as a 16 yr old. Maybe, Raftis prefers the Petes’ Miss-2nd over any of the ‘03-1sts available.
I just can’t help but think Ottawa, Saginaw, Sudbury are the teams that would both want and be able to pay most.

Last edited:

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
maybe, who knows really. Maybe, Hayton feels some need to atone for snubbing the Petes as a 16 yr old. I just can’t help but think Ottawa, Saginaw, Sudbury are the teams that would both want and able to pay most.
Yeah we’ll see man! I don’t think Sudbury will be good enough to make a deep playoff run. That organization has some strangeness to it. Have talent but always has some sort of glaring hole in their game that will easily be exposed in a 7 game series to some highly talented teams.

Ottawa - are they strong enough to do some damage in the post season this year? I feel like last year was their go year and got pretty wiped after their season ended. I haven’t really kept up with their roster this year though. Who stayed. Who graduate etc.

Saginaw - sure why not.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah we’ll see man! I don’t think Sudbury will be good enough to make a deep playoff run. That organization has some strangeness to it. Have talent but always has some sort of glaring hole in their game that will easily be exposed in a 7 game series to some highly talented teams.

Ottawa - are they strong enough to do some damage in the post season this year? I feel like last year was their go year and got pretty wiped after their season ended. I haven’t really kept up with their roster this year though. Who stayed. Who graduate etc.

Saginaw - sure why not.

Saginaw & Sudbury should be most desperate to win now. The wolves really need a stud LD. Add Hayton and decent import to that, the wolves are legit.
The ‘67s have the league’s best goal differential even though suffering through significant injuries and a 5 game suspension to Rossi. They might be the best team currently.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
it's incredibly unrealistic to think Hayton would ever finish the season in SSM. EVER.

i also believe it would be incredibly foolish on Raftis' part to get caught standing empty handed at the trade deadline again. i don't believe the fanbase will be as forgiving as they were when he flubbed the trade deadline last year.

as others have stated, if hayton is sent down it will likely be to compete alongside elite talent, against elite talent, in a long playoff run... and that isn't going to be us!

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Hayton is coming back on condition we are trading him. If not Arizona will just recall Hayton. But he’s coming back for WJC then returning here for a trade. He’ll go to Peterborough for a load of picks. I don’t have any source. I don’t care to suggest I’m some inside asshat who is out to brag that they know before anyone else, rather than keep their information tight lipped and maintain trust to the one who told them. But I prefer to make predictions based what I observe across the league and what I think can be very, very likely to happen. If I’m right I’ll open up a rye bottle I bought several years ago and have a drink. If I’m wrong, I had fun playing. Let the most picks fill our cupboards!

Players can't be recalled from junior, once sent back they are there for the year.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Thought they could in the case of an emergency. wasn't DiPietro called to Vancouver after the world juniors last year for a bit? Different scenario i know....

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yes only for emergency recall. But then after the emergency they return them back to whence they came.

Houndzfan

Dec 9, 2017
it's incredibly unrealistic to think Hayton would ever finish the season in SSM. EVER.

i also believe it would be incredibly foolish on Raftis' part to get caught standing empty handed at the trade deadline again. i don't believe the fanbase will be as forgiving as they were when he flubbed the trade deadline last year.

as others have stated, if hayton is sent down it will likely be to compete alongside elite talent, against elite talent, in a long playoff run... and that isn't going to be us!

I believe Hayton, if returned will dictate where he goes, and I'd assume it'll be to the Pete's.
Raftis has always done what the players ask for (trade/no trade) which gains the respect of players and makes SSM more attractive.
I wouldn't be suprised to see Hayton in his hometown Pete's jersey come the New Year. I just hope we get market value from the Pete's.
Good job Mr Ruicci for getting all action on this board. Haven't seen it this busy since trade deadline :)

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Here's hoping the red and white can serve up a hot and steamy plate of redemption today.
That loss to Windsor hurt.

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018
I believe Hayton, if returned will dictate where he goes, and I'd assume it'll be to the Pete's.
Raftis has always done what the players ask for (trade/no trade) which gains the respect of players and makes SSM more attractive.
I wouldn't be suprised to see Hayton in his hometown Pete's jersey come the New Year. I just hope we get market value from the Pete's.
Good job Mr Ruicci for getting all action on this board. Haven't seen it this busy since trade deadline :)
The same Peter Ruicci that claimed the Hounds had no chance against the Sting in the playoffs. The Hounds upset set them in 7 games in Sarnia. Don't remember year. After that, I don't pay attention to Ruicci anymore. It was 2015-16. He thinks he's God.

Last edited:

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
The same Peter Ruicci that claimed the Hounds had no chance against the Sting in the playoffs. The Hounds upset set them in 7 games in Sarnia. Don't remember year. After that, I don't pay attention to Ruicci anymore. It was 2015-16. He thinks he's God.
Sorry to say but sometimes people make predictions and they are wrong unlike you at least he makes sense when he talks Ha

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Seeing the team from two weeks ago again tonight. Sloppy in our end, first pass constantly being picked off, hemmed in our end much of the first period. Hanging Brkin out to dry.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
There is no Hurricane in Carolina tonight instead it is a Frost storm
Frosty scores a shorty to give the Flyers a 3-2 lead wow that just happened

Reactions: SuperMod

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
much better 2nd period but we dug quite a hole for ourselves in the 1st.

i'll likely be switching over to the leafs game shortly. interested to see Keefe's debut!

Last edited:

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Terrible first period, good push back in second and only 3 shots on goal with 2 minutes left. Never seen a team start so slow on the road. Hayton playing his 10 game tonight. So much for the big trade when he returns, looks like he is staying in Arizona.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Terrible first period, good push back in second and only 3 shots on goal with 2 minutes left. Never seen a team start so slow on the road. Hayton playing his 10 game tonight. So much for the big trade when he returns, looks like he is staying in Arizona.
He can still be returned to the Hounds, just next season will be year 2 of his contract instead of year 1. No one knows what the plan is in Arizona, I bet not even them at this point.
They may feel its worthwhile to play him 10 more games up there, send him to team Canada and then return him to Junior. Who knows. But I think he needs to return, he spends alot of time being knocked off the puck and onto his butt, even in junior last year. He needs 10 more pounds on his frame that time will give him.
Look how Frost has debuted after 2 seasons with 100 plus points. Hayton does not have one 100 plus season.

Reactions: SuperMod

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
He can still be returned to the Hounds, just next season will be year 2 of his contract instead of year 1. No one knows what the plan is in Arizona, I bet not even them at this point.
They may feel its worthwhile to play him 10 more games up there, send him to team Canada and then return him to Junior. Who knows. But I think he needs to return, he spends alot of time being knocked off the puck and onto his butt, even in junior last year. He needs 10 more pounds on his frame that time will give him.
Look how Frost has debuted after 2 seasons with 100 plus points. Hayton does not have one 100 plus season.
We are all thrilled to see Frost off to a great start, but that doesn’t negate that Hayton has played well in the NHL. He gets banged around because he’s involved physically - reports day he has put on the 10 pounds you say he needs.
I’d love to have Hayton back as much as the next guy, but I don’t think it’s going to happen.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
The 10 game threshold is purely for a team to gauge a player’s ability to compete at a professional level opposed to requiring more development in junior. If the Coyotes believe hayton is capable of playing pro, so be it. If he is sent down, it won’t be because they realize he still isn’t capable of playing at that level. The next number to watch is 40 games. Should he surpass this number, he follows the standard age requirements for RFA and UFA. I don’t know enough about Arizona’s cap situation and who will ultimately push them close to the edge in a few years with free agency. I don’t see them in a situation like Toronto was this past summer so I don’t know if it will matter enough for them to watch his 40 game mark. If they have a horrible cap situation and a surplus of talent all reaching free agency at the same time, they can extend his timeline by sending him back. I guess if they also realize they have made a huge mistake in letting him play his 10th game, they can deal with burning a year of his entry contract but at least know they can extend his time before he can enter any free agency.
Still a chance we see him back but super unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad