SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
comparing hayton to frost isn't fair, they're two different players.

anybody can see that frost has better hands sure. he was the 100 point guy in the sault for a reason. but hayton is a superior 200ft guy imo. His hockey IQ is off the charts. Strikes me as the kind of guy who ends up coaching.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Why would Hayton come back to a team that looks like it isn’t going anywhere. If he did return, he is going to get hammered by players trying to show how tough they are and the Soo has no response and no one to protect him. In addition to all that he is getting paid approximately $10000 per game dressed or not. Hard to come back to junior after all that.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
On a sad note, one of the greatest athletes from the Soo, Reno Pettenuzzo passed away. In his day probable the greatest fastball pitcher in The World.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Why would Hayton come back to a team that looks like it isn’t going anywhere. If he did return, he is going to get hammered by players trying to show how tough they are and the Soo has no response and no one to protect him. In addition to all that he is getting paid approximately $10000 per game dressed or not. Hard to come back to junior after all that.

I believe that's why most of us assume that if he returns to junior, it's predicated on a trade to a top 3 team.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Terrible first period, good push back in second and only 3 shots on goal with 2 minutes left. Never seen a team start so slow on the road. Hayton playing his 10 game tonight. So much for the big trade when he returns, looks like he is staying in Arizona.

Just a very frustrating first period last night. Its almost like they forgot about playing hockey for the first 20+ minutes of the game. We have so much promise with so many talented players, but leaders are not leading. Carroll, Kerins, MacKay go -3 and LeGuerrier was -4.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Just a very frustrating first period last night. Its almost like they forgot about playing hockey for the first 20+ minutes of the game. We have so much promise with so many talented players, but leaders are not leading. Carroll, Kerins, MacKay go -3 and LeGuerrier was -4.

also have to consider that the leaders i.e. carroll, Mackay, and Leguerrier all just average ohl hockey players. There games this year have
shown that.

Reactions: DWI Dale

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Does anyone know the status of O'Rourke? Star article had Dean saying O'Rourke was out through Sunday.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Again we come out flat in the first period. What the hell is wrong with this team. Frustrating

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Again we come out flat in the first period. What the hell is wrong with this team. Frustrating

The issue certainly isn't talent. We can dominate teams like Windsor and Flint for long stretches. The coaches and players just need to find a way to be more consistent. That shouldn't be an issue for a team as experienced as ours.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Good push back in second. Hopefully don’t fold in the third like last night. Brkin not looking sharp.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Brkin was good after the first period, but this is 2 losses in a row again where we outplayed the opposition on the road, only to have the game decided by goaltending. It's the story of tue season.

Credit to the skaters for having a pretty solid weekend if you ask me. We were at least even with Windsor and outplayed Flint pretty badly, 2 pretty good teams.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Brkin was good after the first period, but this is 2 losses in a row again where we outplayed the opposition on the road, only to have the game decided by goaltending. It's the story of tue season.

Credit to the skaters for having a pretty solid weekend if you ask me. We were at least even with Windsor and outplayed Flint pretty badly, 2 pretty good teams.
I wouldn’t really say you were even with Windsor. You guys had a great 2nd period but other then that it was mostly Windsor. Never really threatened in the 3rd until the late PP chance.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I wouldn’t really say you were even with Windsor. You guys had a great 2nd period but other then that it was mostly Windsor. Never really threatened in the 3rd until the late PP chance.

The third period was one of the more boring periods I have seen this year. The Spits spits started playing a trap and didn't get any scoring chances themselves. The Hounds saw the trap from Oshawa too and need to find a better way to generate chances.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The issue certainly isn't talent. We can dominate teams like Windsor and Flint for long stretches. The coaches and players just need to find a way to be more consistent. That shouldn't be an issue for a team as experienced as ours.
No. They’ve completely dominated Flint and Windsor, which is why they’re 1-6 against them this season. In the last 3 games against Flint they’ve scored 1, 2 and 3 goals. That’s completely on the goaltenders which is surprising considering Propp played in most of those games and he’s better than Popovich.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
The third period was one of the more boring periods I have seen this year. The Spits spits started playing a trap and didn't get any scoring chances themselves. The Hounds saw the trap from Oshawa too and need to find a better way to generate chances.
Yet windsor was still able to score a goal and at least get 10 shots on goal which means to me they kinda outplayed the Soo in the 3rd. Just sayin.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
No. They’ve completely dominated Flint and Windsor, which is why they’re 1-6 against them this season. In the last 3 games against Flint they’ve scored 1, 2 and 3 goals. That’s completely on the goaltenders which is surprising considering Propp played in most of those games and he’s better than Popovich.

Long stretches don't equate to entire games. They made a hard working Flint team look like they belonged in Junior B in in the second period. This after playing like crap in the first. That's where the consistency comes in. They match up well with anyone from a talent perspective when they play hard but that hasn't always been the case. They got outworked and outhustled this week, with talent keeping them close. That's not enough against good teams though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Long stretches don't equate to entire games. They made a hard working Flint team look like they belonged in Junior B in in the second period. This after playing like crap in the first. That's where the consistency comes in. They match up well with anyone from a talent perspective when they play hard but that hasn't always been the case. They got outworked and outhustled this week, with talent keeping them close. That's not enough against good teams though.

The hounds match up from a talent perspective with anyone; yet, the team has a sub 0.400 W% with 35% of the season in the books. Somehow Corsi supports this, I’m sure.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So the 2nd period where the score was 2-2 was the one they dominated? Looking good for 20 minutes and coming out the period even isn’t the sign of a team that’s right on the edge of dominant, it’s the hallmark of a last place team. Flint put together a good 20 minutes all the time last year.

Reactions: dirty12

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
So the 2nd period where the score was 2-2 was the one they dominated? Looking good for 20 minutes and coming out the period even isn’t the sign of a team that’s right on the edge of dominant, it’s the hallmark of a last place team. Flint put together a good 20 minutes all the time last year.

Your comparison to last year's Firebirds team is downright ridiculous. Last time I checked, the Greyhounds have been outshot 5 times all season. Has any team been that good?

The skaters are playing at the level of a division winner. They are generating more scoring chances than both Flint and Windsor, while giving up less. Outside of goaltending they are better. There's just no question about it. The team is a real enigma.

You were certainly right about Propp vs Popovich, even though Propp was better coming into the season. It would have been interesting to see the results with the goalies swapped. Anyone with Propp would be in last right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad