SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
From an on ice perspective we are better positioned than Oshawa, who isn't any better than us right now and loses a lot.

From an off ice perspective, I expect Sportsnet to object to a bid and there will also be sponsorship issues.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
From an on ice perspective we are better positioned than Oshawa, who isn't any better than us right now and loses a lot. From an off ice perspective, I expect Sportsnet to object to a bid and there will also be sponsorship issues.

The Soo literally has 1 player who's even a point per game (after returning 0 from the year before). 0 NHL drafted forwards. 1 NHL drafted player on the entire roster. SSM is below .500 (48 points in 50 games, for a .480 points %). Gens are a .583 points %, over 100 points higher. Kitchener to Oshawa is a closer points % differential than Oshawa to SSM

What rationale could you possibly use other than "I'm a Soo fan so they're the best in my eyes" to justify that take? Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Nitro1473

Nov 16, 2018
Oshawa is losing for sure 2 possibly 4 of their top 5 in scoring. Neumann and MacLean are OAs, McShane is drafted and coule be an OA next year but could also turn pro and depending how Nashville like Tomasini he could potentially not be returned (we know what that's like all too well). The greyhound can return 21 players oshawa can return 18. Ranking points per game on players that could return the greyhound have 11 players with over 0.5 pts/g where Oshawa would only have 6 and 2 of those players potentially could not return. Our defense needs work but most of our challenges stem from the same players making the errors and the +/- of those players speaks for itself. The greyhound lack a superstar but will be very deep next year. I've been excited for next year for the past 2 years and I really hoped we would make a bid. This is an exciting time for sure.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
From an on ice perspective we are better positioned than Oshawa, who isn't any better than us right now and loses a lot.

From an off ice perspective, I expect Sportsnet to object to a bid and there will also be sponsorship issues.

First off, Oshawa is clearly better than you NOW. That's not debatable.

However, who is better positioned for next season is. From a returning roster stand point, Oshawa has the high end guys but you guys have better depth and seem to be returning a more complete team. Oshawa has more picks to bring in talent though and that is also part of being positioned well.

Both TEAMS are probably even next season when it's said and done so the difference would be arena and the almighty dollar which would seem to point towards Oshawa.

Honestly I'd rather see it in a more average size venue like the Soo and I'm glad SOMEONE put in a bid so this didn't go unopposed.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
First off, Oshawa is clearly better than you NOW. That's not debatable.

However, who is better positioned for next season is. From a returning roster stand point, Oshawa has the high end guys but you guys have better depth and seem to be returning a more complete team. Oshawa has more picks to bring in talent though and that is also part of being positioned well.

Both TEAMS are probably even next season when it's said and done so the difference would be arena and the almighty dollar which would seem to point towards Oshawa.

Honestly I'd rather see it in a more average size venue like the Soo and I'm glad SOMEONE put in a bid so this didn't go unopposed.

I think it is debatable. Since getting rid of historically poor goaltender Christian Propp on November 12th, the Greyhounds are 17-13-1 and the Generals are 11-14-5. They also beat Oshawa head to head.

That's probably a better reflection of the current rosters, not to mention the tremendous disparity in the quality of competition.

As for the draft picks, both teams are pretty much even with 11 picks in the top 4 rounds of the 2021-24 drafts. I don't see any significant difference there.

Going forward to next year, the Greyhounds lose their backup goaltender and 3rd line winger, while Oshawa could lose up to 6 of their top 10 scorers, but more likely 4.

The difference looks particularly stark on defense where the Greyhounds top 4 returnees have 127 points and are +4 while Oshawa's top 4 has 48 points and are -11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad