SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Since Wale was traded, LeGuerrier went from something like a +12 to now a +1. Yikes.
True, but in that stretch we played London, Saginaw twice, Flint and Sudbury last night. Some stiff opposition. He certainly is being called upon more frequently to defend tough situations.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Malik has yet to win a game. Not to blame him, but not the saviour we thought. He probably is wondering what is doing here and if he made the right move coming to the Hounds. Always remember there’s always next year. This year playoffs are slowly slipping away.

Reactions: DWI Dale

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Get rid of Calisti. He’s an absolute nightmare liability back there. Whoever is coaching the D shouldn’t be back next year either!
I don’t understand how we have 3 imports
We have Malik and Pytlik and that Russian defence man Calisti
Someone should tell him he is not Russian he is a Canadian he needs to learn that he can’t rush the puck every time if he would just play a simple game we would probably have 5-6 more wins
Jordan Smith should put a leash on him

Reactions: staubitz

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Definitely not Malik's fault. Goaltenders might have been an easy scapegoat early on but I think the truth has finally caught up to most Soo fans.
In no way has any of this been on Malik and frankly, he is as good as advertised for a 17 year old that is yet to be drafted.
I have remained silent a lot this season but I have also quietly resigned to the fact that we would have a down year regardless of the goalie we put in net. I wrote a very detailed message a while back that outlined the impact of an open window to win. A window is typically open for 2 years. The first year you go all in, the second is your opportunity to sell off and maintain some stability. The elite players a team has can be used in both years of that window, just in very different ways. The hounds neglected to take advantage of this and we are now seeing the results. I don’t have all the answers, what I do have is sincere confidence that we will have a reliable club next season to look towards.
Nick Malik was never going to be the saviour, as was stated above. There wasn’t a team to be saved.
As for @oldhound’s relatively quick judgement of Malik - Malik will continue to showcase that he is a world elite goalie and continue to build towards a season next year that may end up being better than expected because of his talent. That is what he is and what he will do. I watched the game last night and if you don’t think he was some sort of saviour, then I would suspect that game could have been closer to a few of our past Windsor games.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Unless the defensive systems or shortcomings are addressed this off season I’m not confident this will completely reverse itself just because they are all a year older. We need some defenders who are reliable in their end first to take the pressure off the goalies.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Was never ever sold on Carroll and McKay as top 6 forwards, like pytlick, kartye, Kerins, trott, Dickenson needs to add 15 lbs of muscle on and he will be better next season boudreau will also improve next season. The goaltender Malik is top notch! The d core of o'rourke, Holmes and halichak, will be fine next year Constantino is ok but raftis must seriously look at moving calisti and leguerier. Leguerier is an average d man but as an overage next year I would look at other options

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Was never ever sold on Carroll and McKay as top 6 forwards, like pytlick, kartye, Kerins, trott, Dickenson needs to add 15 lbs of muscle on and he will be better next season boudreau will also improve next season. The goaltender Malik is top notch! The d core of o'rourke, Holmes and halichak, will be fine next year Constantino is ok but raftis must seriously look at moving calisti and leguerier. Leguerier is an average d man but as an overage next year I would look at other options

Calisti is a road hockey player....he's all over the place! Great skater tho.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
What ever happened to our new score clock we were supposed to get last I heard it was to be installed at the end of January

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Sad to here about Kobe Bryant and his daughter and the 7 others in the accident today tough day in sports RIP #24

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Unless the defensive systems or shortcomings are addressed this off season I’m not confident this will completely reverse itself just because they are all a year older. We need some defenders who are reliable in their end first to take the pressure off the goalies.

Statistically, we are one of the top teams in the league when it comes to limiting shots. Better than most or all of the Hounds teams of the past decade. It seems that our fans are searching for a problem with the skaters when there isn't one to be found.

To that in perspective, the team would have given up sixty five fewer goals this season if we had Matthew Villalta's average save percentage. It's overwhelmingly likely that the team would be in first place if they had that kind of performance.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Statistically, we are one of the top teams in the league when it comes to limiting shots. Better than most or all of the Hounds teams of the past decade. It seems that our fans are searching for a problem with the skaters when there isn't one to be found.

To that in perspective, the team would have given up sixty five fewer goals this season if we had Matthew Villalta's average save percentage. It's overwhelmingly likely that the team would be in first place if they had that kind of performance.
The fact of the matter is that the Hounds are where they are in the standings for a reason. Instead of assuming "what IF's", let's look at some relevant stats.
Your PP is 21.9% which ranks 10th in the league.
Your PK is 75.3% which ranks 18th in the league.
Your team is the second most penalized team in the Western Conference (559 min).
Your 'goals for' are just slightly behind Kitchener, Saginaw, London, Windsor, Flint, and Sarnia.
Your top scorers: Trott, ranks 43rd; Kerins 62nd; MacKay 64th.
Goaltending has been a concern all season although the future looks promising with Malik. You also have some good young talent on the team. Perhaps, then, the more appropriate narrative to take would be to praise the youth, and how the team looks to be set up nicely for the next few seasons. I don't understand why you've chosen a different narrative which is to suggest that this year's team belongs in the same conversation with Kitchener, London, Saginaw, Windsor, etc...those teams are deserving of their place in the standings, and have deeper squads than the Soo. In any case, your conclusion that "It's overwhelmingly likely that the team would be in first place if they had that kind of performance" is not supported by your premises. In other words, it's not a valid argument.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The fact of the matter is that the Hounds are where they are in the standings for a reason. Instead of assuming "what IF's", let's look at some relevant stats.
Your PP is 21.9% which ranks 10th in the league.
Your PK is 75.3% which ranks 18th in the league.
Your team is the second most penalized team in the Western Conference (559 min).
Your 'goals for' are just slightly behind Kitchener, Saginaw, London, Windsor, Flint, and Sarnia.
Your top scorers: Trott, ranks 43rd; Kerins 62nd; MacKay 64th.
Goaltending has been a concern all season although the future looks promising with Malik. You also have some good young talent on the team. Perhaps, then, the more appropriate narrative to take would be to praise the youth, and how the team looks to be set up nicely for the next few seasons. I don't understand why you've chosen a different narrative which is to suggest that this year's team belongs in the same conversation with Kitchener, London, Saginaw, Windsor, etc...those teams are deserving of their place in the standings, and have deeper squads than the Soo. In any case, your conclusion that "It's overwhelmingly likely that the team would be in first place if they had that kind of performance" is not supported by your premises. In other words, it's not a valid argument.

The fact is that the skaters have played as well as any team in the Conference. The goals scored have been at or near the top all year and they excel at limiting shots. Penalties and powerplays are generally not indicators of success at the NHL level and they probably aren't here either. The fact that the team has given up so few shots with a lot of penalties just furthers the fact that the defense has been quite good.

Goals for and shots against are two of the biggest indicators of success for any team in any league. Teams that are successful in just those two areas almost always win a lot games. The Hounds won 40+ games a couple of times recently and they weren't this good.

I lay out the facts over and over and you guys mistakenly think that this is some sort of narrative or fiction. Take the time to look for yourself. It's irrefutable facts from top to bottom.

Stuff like where Zack Trott ranks in scoring really proves nothing. Team goals scored wins games, not individual performance. It's actually quite puzzling for you to bring this up and then mistakenly say that the other teams have more depth.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

four goalies have shown that Matthew Villalta’s average save percentage won’t happen with the 2019-20 greyhounds, maybe when Calisti & Constantinou are OAs it can be different.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
from past history most often the 19 year olds and overage players are the one's who put a team in contending mold. The hounds fall short in
this category this season. If you look at the years where they were at the top they had decent 19 year old group and overagers were amongst
the best in the league.

Reactions: soo hound girl

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
One thing I've noticed from Saturdays game is that the Soo gives up a lot of shots and they didn't give up many shots in the seasons that they were successful. The puck possession game isn't working as well simply because they dont have the Haytons or Frosts or Holliwells right now and they cant keep the puck out of their end. If not for Malik on Saturday, that game could have hit a double digit score. Its been a while since the Wolves got 40+ shots against a Greyhound team.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
One thing I've noticed from Saturdays game is that the Soo gives up a lot of shots and they didn't give up many shots in the seasons that they were successful. The puck possession game isn't working as well simply because they dont have the Haytons or Frosts or Holliwells right now and they cant keep the puck out of their end. If not for Malik on Saturday, that game could have hit a double digit score. Its been a while since the Wolves got 40+ shots against a Greyhound team.

I agree we should at least try a less puck possession type offense. I believe forwards of MacKay, Carroll, Trott, Kartye, Peca and even possibly Pytlik would benefit from this change. The only reason to not proceed would be the puck possession skill of the defense. O'Rourke (especially O'Rourke), Holmes, Constantinou, and Wawrow all benefit from a puck-possession game.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

19/20: 30.1 shots allowed
18/19: 31.4
17/18: 28.5
16/17: 30.1
15/16: 32.9
14/15: 30.3

Shots allowed (and presumably possession time) have remained unchanged this season when compared to past seasons. Goals scored are right around the median for the Dubas/Raftis era as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad