SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
hmmm... we're on our 4th goalie of the season and still giving up 5 or 6 goals a game.

i wonder why?

/sarcasm

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Back to our early season ways where we outshoot and outchance our opponents, but still lose. Very frustrating. I've never seen a team have a season quite like this one.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Square Corners - if I had a like button I would definitely press it for that witty comment.

selfish move by brkin putting the team down for 5.
I don't know if it was selfish; looks like a peeved off goalie who was mad for getting pulled and got chirped by flint player so he swung his stick at him.
I question the call of butt ending, more like a high stick. Before you all go crazy disagreeing, think about this, if he lifted his stick and hit the player with the blade would it be spearing?

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Get rid of Calisti. He’s an absolute nightmare liability back there. Whoever is coaching the D shouldn’t be back next year either!

Showstopper

Nov 3, 2019
sault ste marie
Get rid of Calisti. He’s an absolute nightmare liability back there. Whoever is coaching the D shouldn’t be back next year either!
I agree coach has lots to do with it. They seem to have certain guys out there way to long. Not sure how this will improve for next season considering they just traded away a guy who actually defended his own end.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I actually thought we put together a very good defensive game. We had 16 skaters that took care of the puck and made a lot of smart decisions, and two skaters that need to continue to work on their decision making. We had one defenseman that generated a crap load of offense, but also gave up a crap load of chances going the other way. I thought we had one forward on the first line who still gets a little too cute with the puck in his own end when trying to break out, and committed too many turnovers as a result.

Our defensive zone coverage was very good, and has been very good for a while now (in sharp contrast to the beginning of the year). I think the only goal against that wasn't off the rush was Flint's first goal.

We need to limit chances given off bad turnovers. This is where all the damage is done against us game after game. Our same defenseman who will remain nameless got caught and couldn't get back on Flint's 4th and 5th and 6th goals. The 4th (penalty shot) was a killer in a 3-3 game - this defenseman needs to be more defensively responsible in that situation. The 5th was disappointing because he had plenty of time to get back in position through the neutral zone, but never did until he was beat. The 6th was late in the 3rd and we were pushing for a tying goal - and yet he was SO deep in the offensive zone (below the dot) waiting for a 50/50 puck to be retrieved plus he was at the end of a long shift. Again he needs to get back in position in that situation - if we retrieve that puck he can jump back up if the opportunity arises.

Other than that, lots of positives on our back end. Wawrow had a really good game defensively I thought, as did LeGuerrier for the entire game except for his lack of hustle on Flint's second goal (still not sure what was going on there). Holmes continues to gain confidence back there, and Constantinou and O'Rourke are playing well.

I think those advocating for a major overhaul may be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. We aren't that far away from being where we need to be.

On a side note - did anyone catch what happened with Joe after the empty net goal? He got a misconduct for abuse of official. It would be unfortunate if he misses time as a result since he has been red hot of late.

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
I actually thought we put together a very good defensive game. We had 16 skaters that took care of the puck and made a lot of smart decisions, and two skaters that need to continue to work on their decision making. We had one defenseman that generated a crap load of offense, but also gave up a crap load of chances going the other way. I thought we had one forward on the first line who still gets a little too cute with the puck in his own end when trying to break out, and committed too many turnovers as a result.

Our defensive zone coverage was very good, and has been very good for a while now (in sharp contrast to the beginning of the year). I think the only goal against that wasn't off the rush was Flint's first goal.

We need to limit chances given off bad turnovers. This is where all the damage is done against us game after game. Our same defenseman who will remain nameless got caught and couldn't get back on Flint's 4th and 5th and 6th goals. The 4th (penalty shot) was a killer in a 3-3 game - this defenseman needs to be more defensively responsible in that situation. The 5th was disappointing because he had plenty of time to get back in position through the neutral zone, but never did until he was beat. The 6th was late in the 3rd and we were pushing for a tying goal - and yet he was SO deep in the offensive zone (below the dot) waiting for a 50/50 puck to be retrieved plus he was at the end of a long shift. Again he needs to get back in position in that situation - if we retrieve that puck he can jump back up if the opportunity arises.

Other than that, lots of positives on our back end. Wawrow had a really good game defensively I thought, as did LeGuerrier for the entire game except for his lack of hustle on Flint's second goal (still not sure what was going on there). Holmes continues to gain confidence back there, and Constantinou and O'Rourke are playing well.

I think those advocating for a major overhaul may be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. We aren't that far away from being where we need to be.

On a side note - did anyone catch what happened with Joe after the empty net goal? He got a misconduct for abuse of official. It would be unfortunate if he misses time as a result since he has been red hot of late.
Good point on the second Flint goal. I just watched it on the OHL site. Lack of hustle by 8 is an understatement. He can’t say he was tired either because he could have left the ice before the turnover on far side. He won’t like that video session.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
I was so disappointed in our effort on the ice and utter lack of discipline that I vowed to wait for 24hrs before commenting on the game. I still feel this must be said, these guys are far better than the effort they just put forward! I don't know what is wrong right now, but something needs to change. I'm getting somewhat worried about making the playoffs.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Even if they make the playoffs, who are they beating.

We haven't had any problem beating Kitchener if we get matched up against them. They would be the favourites, buy it's closer to even money if we get good goaltending. The Hounds can play with anyone (except maybe Windsor) if that last bit is true.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
We haven't had any problem beating Kitchener if we get matched up against them. They would be the favourites, buy it's closer to even money if we get good goaltending. The Hounds can play with anyone (except maybe Windsor) if that last bit is true.
Saginaw,London,Windsor,Kitchener and Flint all would be tough might be able to beat Guelph ,Erie or Owen Sound
I don’t think we will be in the playoffs but one could only hope

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
some of us actually predicted we'd be a playoff bubble team. :naughty:

i hope to see us add a d-man in the offseason. o'rourke can't play 60 minutes a game and neither calisti, leguerrier nor constantinou have demonstrated that they belong on the 1st pairing of a championship calibre team.

now cue the pom pom waivers telling us how good we are...

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
I still believe we have time to figure this out, catch a few breaks and hopefully make the playoffs. No doubt anything beyond the first round is unrealistic, but who knows. We just need a few guys to start us off by carrying the team over the next 5 games. We need to take care of business today, a win over NB along with KGN and steal a win over PBO. Probably not much hope for a win over OTT. So, 4-1 gives us 8 points and puts us back in the hunt given ER has 5 tough games, likely go 0-5 and OS has at least three tough games with two toss-up games against ER and NIAG. OS could easily go 1-4. This puts our Hounds in a tie with ER for 7th /8th.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We just need a few guys to start us off by carrying the team over the next 5 games.
This is a really good point. Joe Carroll had a slow start but has scored 5 of the last 8 goals the team has scored. Hopefully he stays hot and a few more players heat up. During our hot streak we were getting balanced scoring from our top 3 lines. We either need to get back to that, or have a few players pick the team up and put them on their backs.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Predicted early September that the hound would be fighting for a playoff spot was dead on with that prediction and also predicted that the Kitchener rangers were the team too beat in the western conference!

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
That goal (Wolves 2nd) was on Calisti. Not sure what he thought he was thinking but he was nowhere to be found while the Hounds were trying to break out of their end, and forced one of the forwards to circle back but too late. So frustrating to watch.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
This is a really good point. Joe Carroll had a slow start but has scored 5 of the last 8 goals the team has scored.

in 2018, as a rookie, Joe looked poised to become a dominant player in the OHL. he didn't seem out of place in the playoffs even. if he was to reach the potential he showed then he could dominate next year.

Showstopper

Nov 3, 2019
sault ste marie
That goal (Wolves 2nd) was on Calisti. Not sure what he thought he was thinking but he was nowhere to be found while the Hounds were trying to break out of their end, and forced one of the forwards to circle back but too late. So frustrating to watch.
He now a -3 but the coach loves him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad