SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
19/20: 30.1 shots allowed
18/19: 31.4
17/18: 28.5
16/17: 30.1
15/16: 32.9
14/15: 30.3

Shots allowed (and presumably possession time) have remained unchanged this season when compared to past seasons. Goals scored are right around the median for the Dubas/Raftis era as well.

The shot total will climb as they start going against a steady schedule of contenders. Peterborough, Ottawa and Kitchener are all coming up with Saginaw, Oshawa, Flint and London not too far behind. Not a lot of easy games left for you. Even if we agree to disagree about shot totals, the amount of Grade A chances against have gone up considerably.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I wish there was a Soo Greyhounds thread and a In Fischhaber’s Mind Greyhounds thread so I could post responses without risk of offending all the other Greyhounds posters. Sorry. What I DO know to be actual FACTS are being the most penalized team in the Western Conference, being 7th in goal scoring in the Conference, and being ranked 9th in the Conference are usually indicators of not having playoff success. I looked it up. No team in 9th under the current format has ever had playoff success. Look up from the box score on your phone Fisch and WATCH a game. The Greyhounds currently give up golden offensive opportunities by the boatload. More than Kingston. Ask Christian Propp.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
@Savard18 I can only speak for myself, but I welcome posters from other boards coming in here and offering their opinion. I hope you continue to feel comfortable doing so.

Regarding the penalties, surely most Soo fans would prefer fewer penalties, but it is unfortunately something we have become accustomed to. We currently have the fourth most times shorthanded in the league. Last season we were also fourth most in the league. Even when we had the best team in the league the regular season before that, we still had the tenth most times shorthanded that season.

Regarding being seventh in goals for in the conference - we sure are. But 2nd through 7th is so tight and changes nightly, that it's somewhat specious bringing this up without mentioning how close it actually is.

"I looked it up. No team in 9th under the current format has ever had playoff success." Lol, touche. I guess since the top 8 make the playoffs this is likely to be true.

Regarding Propp's experience here: it must not have been very good. We failed him big time and he was never able to get the confidence of the team. But comparing the Hounds on ice product today to what our skaters were doing in front of Propp is like night and day.

Regarding giving up golden offensive opportunities by the boatload, this is true and really the meat of the current problem. The recent Flint game was a prime example where I think every Flint goal after the first one was as a result of an inopportune turnover. However, by and large most of our skaters seem to be responsible with the puck - we have a select few players that need to continue to work on this, and I felt the North Bay game was a step forward in this regard. I hope they continue to build off this.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The shot total will climb as they start going against a steady schedule of contenders. Peterborough, Ottawa and Kitchener are all coming up with Saginaw, Oshawa, Flint and London not too far behind. Not a lot of easy games left for you. Even if we agree to disagree about shot totals, the amount of Grade A chances against have gone up considerably.

The Greyhounds schedule isn't a lot harder going forward than it has been (thanks Hockey Pops). They have consistently been one of the better teams at limiting shots all season long.

I compile the shot totals and then people like Savard simply ignore it and continue with their own imaginary scenarios. It's getting ridiculous. His team gives up far more more shots and scoring chances while not scoring more goals, but somehow goaltending has nothing to do with the success of either team.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I’ll take one wide open back door tap-in on Malik or 3 odd man rushes over 20 unscreened wrist shots from the point any day. When you learn the difference between shots on goal and quality scoring chances you’ll have a better understanding of why they’re CURRENTLY outside looking in at the playoff picture. They’re young. They’re not very big. They don’t have the Speers’, Kopacka’s, Katchouk’s, Frost’s and Hayton’s you NEED to play a puck possession game right now. So it ends up being a lot of run and gun hockey and the opposition is often better at finishing their chances and better at limiting quality chances. Your D just ain’t real good at playing D right now. Period. They’ll be fine next year. They’ll be better by the end of this year but I look at Dubas, Raftis, Keefe, and Dean and ask you how many Championship rings have their systems won?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They’ll be better by the end of this year but I look at Dubas, Raftis, Keefe, and Dean and ask you how many Championship rings have their systems won?
Well, Keefe won 5 straight League Championships in Pembroke, and Keefe and Dubas won a Calder Cup with the Marlies. So, um, yeah.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, Keefe won 5 straight League Championships in Pembroke, and Keefe and Dubas won a Calder Cup with the Marlies. So, um, yeah.
Not to disparage the kids playing in the CCHL, but when I’m counting Championships I don’t generally include leagues that 95% of hockey fans across the globe don’t even know exists. The Leafs are basically my B team and I believe in Dubas’ decisions to diversify hires in the game. I truly believe it will benefit them over time but I’m not completely sold the Keefe/Dubas combo is going to bring a Cup to Toronto just yet. I think it’s possible and I hope they do but right now I’m only counting one Calder trophy which is a good start for a pair of youngsters.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
While I believe there is a place for Dubas as an executive, I’m not completely sold on Dubas as an NHL GM; but there is no doubt that Keefe is a winner.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
there is not a single player or coach remaining from the dubas days so it has literally nothing to do with this years hounds. even last year i think the only guy left from the dubas regime was mac hollowell although i may be wrong. the last dubas core was our run in 2018. stay focused hahaha

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Not to disparage the kids playing in the CCHL, but when I’m counting Championships I don’t generally include leagues that 95% of hockey fans across the globe don’t even know exists. The Leafs are basically my B team and I believe in Dubas’ decisions to diversify hires in the game. I truly believe it will benefit them over time but I’m not completely sold the Keefe/Dubas combo is going to bring a Cup to Toronto just yet. I think it’s possible and I hope they do but right now I’m only counting one Calder trophy which is a good start for a pair of youngsters.
Currently one in 31 NHL teams win the Stanley Cup each year. 1 in 20 OHL teams win the playoffs. 1 in 60 I believe it is win the Memorial Cup. So to say you do not believe someone will bring a cup to Toronto or the Soo is a pretty brave statement. You will most certainly be correct.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Currently one in 31 NHL teams win the Stanley Cup each year. 1 in 20 OHL teams win the playoffs. 1 in 60 I believe it is win the Memorial Cup. So to say you do not believe someone will bring a cup to Toronto or the Soo is a pretty brave statement. You will most certainly be correct.

Well, it’s been 26 years for the Greyhounds and 56? for the Leafs, so the odds would be in their favor since they’re both long overdue. I didn’t say neither would win a Cup. Greyhounds won’t this year, but they’ll certainly be in the running one or both of the next two. (I said in the past) I’m not fully sold on the small, fast, puck possession game and the team’s Raftis builds winning an OHL title. Two reasons. One. Guelph last year, reinvigorated my belief in bigger, pounding teams and Two, the Soo vs Hamilton. There is no way I will ever believe if that Greyhounds team and that Bulldogs team met in Round 1 the Bulldogs would have won. They wore down coming out of the West and have never won 4 rounds. Would ANY team have wore down coming out of the West that year? Maybe. Or was it how the Hounds were built? Maybe. As far as Dubas, I WANT to see the Leafs come out of the East. I just haven’t seen anything YET to make me believe they can. They’re trending in the right direction though.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Anyone questioning Dubas or Raftis forget how mediocre we were for years. Even during the Harrisburg era, we had teams that every once in a while had a chance to win a round or 2 but only out of pure hard work. Nothing wrong with that, but we had a very hard time attracting truly elite talent or really developing quality pros.

Dubas and Raftis along with solid coaching choices for the most part have really helped turn the Soo into a top quality program not just in the OHL but in the CHL. The goal of winning a championship haven't materialized yet.. But we have a much better chance now. We also get way more talent to watch over those years, it's a win for the fans and the ownership. Eventually if we keep this up, the result will happen .

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
With access to so many new era stats, advanced analytics, accurate n relevant numerical indicators of success ect... someone wants to use only SA as the key indicator of what a teams success should be? Odd, simplistic, 70s mindset, selectively used, and irrelevant in this case.
Obviously wasn't paying attention to details of the Dubas SSM era (odd considering background of said poster), the evolution of stat analysis and true indicators of success (which always should be measured/ interpreted in context)

End of the day, you are what your record says you are.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
there is not a single player or coach remaining from the dubas days
My reference in the past regarding Dubas/Keefe influence had nothing to do with coach or players but more of the style of play. You know your current GM and coach have wore the ink off the playbook they let behind. It is a pretty unique offensive system and if either the hounds or the leafs can figure a way how to stop the defensive problems created by the system they will blow each respective league out of the water.
The leafs using the top 1% of players in the world can't figure it out right now so I don't believe an overly young, inexperienced Soo team will. Like I have said before GM over estimated talent and coach refused to incorporate a more contemporary system set up to protect the young D.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Barrett Hayton watch continues.
Still only 14 games played. He hasn't played an NHL game in 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad