SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
We're getting killed tonight. With flint and Saginaw having added at the deadline there's a good chance we miss the playoffs.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
We have to play Saggy twice, flint twice, and Sarnia twice still this season. Tough road to 8th for us where we are at today.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
We have to play Saggy twice, flint twice, and Sarnia twice still this season. Tough road to 8th for us where we are at today.
Not an easy schedule,still play Ottawa twice, Pete’s, and end the season against London,Saginaw, and Windsor. Will be though to make the playoffs. Big game on Wednesday against Flint.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Not an easy schedule,still play Ottawa twice, Pete’s, and end the season against London,Saginaw, and Windsor. Will be though to make the playoffs. Big game on Wednesday against Flint.

Win vs Loss to Western Division Teams: 9 Wins vs 20 Losses. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: DWI Dale

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015

Agreed that the game against Flint will be a big one. The challenge: we have got to stop the steady parade of bodies going to the penalty box. We lead the Western Conference in most penalty minutes. Flint is last in that category.

I get that most fans are thinking next season is going to be "our" season. However, the time to get rid of bad habits is now. Enough with all the stupid "stick" penalties. Learning some discipline now should yield positive results next year.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
However, the time to get rid of bad habits is now.

Agreed, along with discipline, our defensive game is still lacking. We are now on our fourth goalie of the year, and while the sample size is small, the stats are looking familiar. 0-2, 4.02, .877
We're goalie killers lol.

Even looking at next year, Windsor can return nearly as many guys as we can. In my opinion they'll mop the floor with us over a 7 game series if we don't improve the roster, the d systems, or both.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agreed, along with discipline, our defensive game is still lacking. We are now on our fourth goalie of the year, and while the sample size is small, the stats are looking familiar. 0-2, 4.02, .877

Even looking at next year, Windsor can return nearly as many guys as we can. In my opinion they'll mop the floor with us over a 7 game series if we don't improve the roster, the d systems, or both.

The west division could be the best division next season, for the first half at least. There will likely be lines of Purfetti-Suzuki and Rees-Perreault; and, Flint will return ten 19-20 yr olds of which 9 will be 1sts, 2nds, & imports.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo

Plus I’m not sold on the coach yet either.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Plus I’m not sold on the coach yet either.

you know i might not be either.
although i have given him some extra rope because i think he did a lot with our 6 best players last year.

i have not hidden the fact i felt we were a bubble team this year. and i've not hidden the fact that i feel our GM spends a lot more resources than he recoups. maybe i'm full of shit. i guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
They should try Calisti at left wing or put a leash on him. For every good offensive play he makes he makes 2 bad defensive ones. I blame coaching because even though he does have great wheels it seems he feels has to run the offense every shift he is on the ice. He should pick his spots but I think he lacks defensive awareness on when to rush and when not too. He gives up more 2 on 1 breaks by being caught up ice more then any other defenseman in the entire ohl that is a recipe for a disaster.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ran some numbers to compare the Strength Of Remaining Schedule for the bottom 6 teams in the West. Sarnia has the toughest road ahead with their opponents having an average winning percentage of .609, and Flint has the easiest schedule as their opponents have an average winning percentage of .557. Interesting to note: Owen Sound and Erie have 5 more head-to-head matches, Flint plays Erie 4 more times, and Guelph gets both Erie and Flint 3 more times. The results of those series may weigh in heavily on the final standings.

Strength of Remaining Schedule
SAR .609
SSM .576
OS .571
GUE .570
ER .562
FLT .557

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Ran some numbers to compare the Strength Of Remaining Schedule for the bottom 6 teams in the West. Sarnia has the toughest road ahead with their opponents having an average winning percentage of .609, and Flint has the easiest schedule as their opponents have an average winning percentage of .557. Interesting to note: Owen Sound and Erie have 5 more head-to-head matches, Flint plays Erie 4 more times, and Guelph gets both Erie and Flint 3 more times. The results of those series may weigh in heavily on the final standings.

Strength of Remaining Schedule
SAR .609
SSM .576
OS .571
GUE .570
ER .562
FLT .557
Mind if I copy and paste this post in the Firebirds thread?

Reactions: HockeyPops

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Hopefully we can stay out of the penalty box tonight. We lead the western conference in penalty minutes, most of them being stick infractions caused by laziness. Need to play a full 60 minutes tonight and come out strong. This is a big time in the schedule to get back into playoff picture or drop right out

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hopefully we can stay out of the penalty box tonight. We lead the western conference in penalty minutes, most of them being stick infractions caused by laziness. Need to play a full 60 minutes tonight and come out strong. This is a big time in the schedule to get back into playoff picture or drop right out

Laziness does not seem an accurate way to define 20 players able to play for a team in such a high level league. Penalties as a way to defend being out matched seems more plausible.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Another poster said recently that when your team is young and undersized you end up with a lot of stick infractions. I believe that is accurate in this case.

Clean up the penalties and the play in our end is my "keys to victory".

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Another poster said recently that when your team is young and undersized you end up with a lot of stick infractions. I believe that is accurate in this case.

Clean up the penalties and the play in our end is my "keys to victory".

I think that penalties taken were down during the hounds little hot stretch of December to first week of January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad