Spittin Chiclets Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
What i really like is most of these hockey guys, even the relatively unknown ones, they interview are really funny and good interviews.

The other day they had Brandon yip on and he was hilarious.
The “unknown” guys have been some of their best interviews. Big names are nice but not always the funnest to listen to.
What it does is provide a ton of context for what is and isn't acceptable in the league. Love hearing them break down hits or plays and give their opinions, I'm not going to it for their analysis of the game/stats but more so for the micro-analysis of what they as former players see. Would love for them to add a just one more person in a former skilled forward so then we'd have the skilled player, the stay at home d-man, and the enforcers take on all things.
Whitney was never considered a stay at home d man. He even makes jokes about how he’d never be on the ice when they have a lead with a minute left.
Not a fan. The one guy (Witt maybe? didn't catch his name) on episode 168 just **** all over the islanders despite our winning the series handedly. Not interested in that kind of bias.
Lmao yes he did shit on them. He also acknowledged that they played better than the penguins and are a good team. He just likes to get Borelli(the barstool employee and Islander super fan) riled up and has a distaste for what Islander fans did to Tavares this year. The fact that you won’t listen to him because of this bias plays right into what he’s trying to do.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
The “unknown” guys have been some of their best interviews. Big names are nice but not always the funnest to listen to.

Whitney was never considered a stay at home d man. He even makes jokes about how he’d never be on the ice when they have a lead with a minute left.

Lmao yes he did **** on them. He also acknowledged that they played better than the penguins and are a good team. He just likes to get Borelli(the barstool employee and Islander super fan) riled up and has a distaste for what Islander fans did to Tavares this year. The fact that you won’t listen to him because of this bias plays right into what he’s trying to do.
Turn potential listeners away?

Fine by me. I don't have infinite time. I tried to give this podcast a chance, but he clearly has a huge bias against my team. Hence, I will spend my time doing other things.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Their interviews are great and their insight as former players is as well but anytime they try to talk history, facts, etc. they lose me. They're just not good at it and that's okay. Most here know more about the general happenings around the league than they do.

Reactions: Intact

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Their interviews are great and their insight as former players is as well but anytime they try to talk history, facts, etc. they lose me. They're just not good at it and that's okay. Most here know more about the general happenings around the league than they do.
They are very stupid, but very funny and they are very good interviewers. I mean, they're meathead ex-jocks. This should be expected. I love the show.

Reactions: StaalForOne
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

I agree, they are at their best when talking about old stories and just shooting the shit with interviews. When they try be Journos it's a bit of a turn off, but I love the podcast.

It also helps reduce hatred towards other players when they get on the pod and you realize they're good guys. For me Giroux, Avery, Upshall, Hartnell, and to a lesser extent Roenick (I never hated him, but he is worlds better on the pod than he is on NBC). It also gave me a newfound appreciation for guys like Malone, Yandle, Hayes, and a ton others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada

Yeah they're pretty hilarious, but it's funny how often they attribute stats or stories to the wrong players. I guess it kinda blends together when you live it yourself.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Maybe. Not interested in listening to a podcast that simultaneously criticizes one team for their sweep while praising the jackets. If the islanders sucked this year it would b understandable. Seems like Whitney just hates the islanders. Just dont care to listen to a podcast where somebody hates my team that much lol

You might want to listen to that again cause he doesn't criticize the team at all. He shits on Borelli for celebrating like an idiot for winning a series, "like a fan base that's won 2 series in 25 years". Sure I can see how that might sting but it's just a fact.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
No it wasn't. He criticized the whole fanbase and team, deriding us for our low amount of series wins in recent memory and for our (justified) hatred of Tavares.

You not liking it as an Islanders fan is definitely fair enough, but a former player taking the side of a player shouldn't be a surprise. Especially one that used to play for the team they just swept and likes to annoy his producer who is a huge Islanders fan.

Don't mistake these guys for journalists, they're not. There's no reason for them to be unbiased and the fact that they aren't afraid to share their opinions even if it means annoying people is half of what makes it interesting and fun to listen too

Reactions: 1967th Heaven

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You might want to listen to that again cause he doesn't criticize the team at all. He ****s on Borelli for celebrating like an idiot for winning a series, "like a fan base that's won 2 series in 25 years". Sure I can see how that might sting but it's just a fact.

Well that's dumb.... the fans should sit on their hands and be quiet because it's been a long time since they won? That's backward from reality.

Reactions: sabremike

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Puck Soup is better.

I honestly can't stand it. Some of the interviews are interesting, but generally they're just a bunch of dumb jocks doing dumb jock things.

The fact that this annoys or surprises people makes me chuckle. I get that some people would prefer listening to boring journalists but disliking hockey players because they talk like hockey players is funny to me

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Well that's dumb.... the fans should sit on their hands and be quiet because it's been a long time since they won? That's backward from reality.
The kid was going nuts like they won the cup. I'm sure everyone acts differently when being filmed but it was a bit much

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I agree, they are at their best when talking about old stories and just shooting the **** with interviews. When they try be Journos it's a bit of a turn off, but I love the podcast.

It also helps reduce hatred towards other players when they get on the pod and you realize they're good guys. For me Giroux, Avery, Upshall, Hartnell, and to a lesser extent Roenick (I never hated him, but he is worlds better on the pod than he is on NBC). It also gave me a newfound appreciation for guys like Malone, Yandle, Hayes, and a ton others.
If anything if fueled my hate for avery. Dude is delusional

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Exactly. To the above convo I’m an isles fan and I love the pod. Don’t really giv a shit that whit is biased agaisnt my team because some 23 year old loser who works for barstool is in his head.

They’re funny, interviews are great and it’s pretty cool how they give listeners an idea of what being a pro athlete is actually like

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Started listening to it about 2 months ago. Fell in love with it and have been listening religiously ever since. They are nor always the most accurate in their opinions but that really adds to the charm of the show. A bunch of hockey guys just shootin' the ****.

The shows no-filter may be too much for some to handle, but it
hilarious and true to the hockey life.

I also love how neutrally North American the show is. Not favourable to Canada like TSN/Sportsnet or to the US like ESPN/NBC. They talk both US College and Major Junior

His answer was somewhere along the lines of "most of my friends in Ottawa are kind of boring, they just want to pay the mortgage off and sit at home"

That actually rubbed me the wrong way too, NGL. It's as if he not only criticized the locals but I feel that's the mentality towards Canadian citizens as a whole. That and that all Canadian cities lack a nightlife :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Detroit stories start around the 38 minute mark. I don't have a link but if you search for the eppy it won't be hard to find.

All I've found on YouTube is the March episode where it seems like he calls in and talks to some Islanders fan the whole time.

I'll have to look off YouTube sometime, thanks for the response though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino