Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 2, Avs lead series 2 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Same tired response with no actual evidence.... sometimes rebuilds hit, sometimes they don't.

If the jets would have embraced a rebuild when we had our D mass exodus.. we would be in a lot better shape now.

Don't forget that this team was very very close to locking down Ladd and Little for our top six long-term... and that the only reason we have Vilardi today is a lottery win for Laine...

They need to take a page out of the Stars play book. We have some good young pieces and some good older ones. Try to make a combined roster with those pieces. We may have a down year or two but it may lead us a quality piece in the draft.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Same tired response with no actual evidence.... sometimes rebuilds hit, sometimes they don't.

If the jets would have embraced a rebuild when we had our D mass exodus.. we would be in a lot better shape now.

Don't forget that this team was very very close to locking down Ladd and Little for our top six long-term... and that the only reason we have Vilardi today is a lottery win for Laine...
You don't know that for a fact. We could be just as bad, or worse. Plenty of teams have gone down the path of the "tear it down rebuild" and haven't returned

A rebuild here won't work, period. First of all, Chipman and co have said repeatedly that in order for the team to spend to the cap, the building needs to be full. Zero chance of that happening of we tear it down

Second, Winnipeg already has enough challenges to attracting talent. The upside is that our retention is decent with our higher end guys, but the thing that keeps them here is the promise of being competitive

Tear it down and you get a self-perpetuating downward spiral of both of those. Draft a high end guy, not enough talent around them to be competitive, be bad, lose that talent, draft new talent, lather, rinse, repeat

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The actual evidence is Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, Anaheim etc

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You don't know that for a fact. We could be just as bad, or worse. Plenty of teams have gone down the path of the "tear it down rebuild" and haven't returned

A rebuild here won't work, period. First of all, Chipman and co have said repeatedly that in order for the team to spend to the cap, the building needs to be full. Zero chance of that happening of we tear it down

Second, Winnipeg already has enough challenges to attracting talent. The upside is that our retention is decent with our higher end guys, but the thing that keeps them here is the promise of being competitive

Tear it down and you get a self-perpetuating downward spiral of both of those. Draft a high end guy, not enough talent around them to be competitive, be bad, lose that talent, draft new talent, lather, rinse, repeat

Yup, just look at how well the tare down rebuilds in less then desirable markets are working now. Detroit 8 years out, Ottawa spinning its wheels never improving, Buffalo a decade plus of futility. It's more then likely not going to work unless you luck into a McDavid. It's likely the only thing that saved Edmonton from the Buffalo fate.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The defense had been falling since about the ASB, some fans had been raising alarms about it for months. This should not be a surprise, just unfortunate that Helle who had been covering for some of it esp in the last win streak stopped being in god mod at the worst time.

Yup, that 8 game winning streak made everyone forget about the 6 game loosing streak where we looked like ass right before.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yup, just look at how well the tare down rebuilds in less then desirable markets are working now. Detroit 8 years out, Ottawa spinning its wheels never improving, Buffalo a decade plus of futility. It's more then likely not going to work unless you luck into a McDavid. It's likely the only thing that saved Edmonton from the Buffalo fate.
But how do you weight that?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
No one deserves to play, you earn it. Has he earned it.... it's not up to you and I to decide. (I'm in your camp on this one but I'm not a decision maker). The NHL is not a development league, it's the show. If only he would be more selfish and shoot more it would probably change his narritive. I'm cheering for him, but he is not the solution.
Uh, he deserves to play because Cole earned it with his play. 5th in scoring, and has played better defensively than most forwards. Weird semantic distinctions you're making there.

Has Bones told anyone why Perfetti isn't playing? I haven't listened to recent interviews. When Barron went down, I thought he was a lock... Because Gus certainly hasn't earned a spot by playing better than Perfetti...

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The defense had been falling since about the ASB, some fans had been raising alarms about it for months. This should not be a surprise, just unfortunate that Helle who had been covering for some of it esp in the last win streak stopped being in god mod at the worst time.
Agree. It’s been painfully obvious that the commitment to team defense disappeared just before the All Star break.
No idea why though.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
So, which forwards on our roster consistently play tough playoff style hockey during the regular season?
Lowry
Names
Barron
Any others do it on a regular basis?

Reactions: hockeyarena

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
So, which forwards on our roster consistently play tough playoff style hockey during the regular season?
Lowry
Names
Barron
Any others do it on a regular basis?
Playing tough playoff style hockey for the 82 game season isn’t really a reality. You would be somewhere between exhausted and injured. Ramping it up for 25 games in the playoffs is different. We are not playing the same Avalanche team. They have another gear.
The Jets lost their mojo after the 3 goals or less streak ended and maybe it’s because Bones system demands an exhaustive approach to the game. I was hoping they would discover it again for the playoffs but ….here we are.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I’m telling yeah, Kupari was saving his 30 goals for the post season, but Bones just isn’t giving him a shot.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Would we have have been competitive if ppl did what ppl around here wanted like played Ehlers with schief, Chisholm/ Heinola vs Stanley? Not sure if an optimized roster is enough without any gamebreakers.

But, I wonder if it would be enough without rebuilding.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Bros!!! I have the solution!!!

BEER!

After a few Corona I care a lot less!

I was done being mad as soon as I woke up this morning. I have a brand new barbecue to put together. Have some steaks defrosting in the fridge. Just need to get some propane and it'll be good to go.

I mentioned to the wife while watching the game that Montgomery was reportedly the first choice for Jets coach before Bones. And then I got sad.

I really did not want Rick Bowness as the head coach. I didn't even want Barry Troz as the head coach, despite his coaching pedigree. Both coaches did not coach a style I thought was conducive to winning a Stanley Cup in today's NHL. Defense first is fine, but you need to score goals. I wanted Jim Montgomery or Bruce Cassidy.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I hope the Jets were watching the Bruins tonight on how you beat 2 forecheckers … they make it look easy.
Here`s the thing tho - the fact that we can so readily identify what the Bruins do to handle the pressure and then use options to break out demonstrates without a doubt that this is something thoroughly coached into the team. It becomes a set series of actions that are undoubtedly practised over and over. Why don`t we see similar signs of coaching with our guys?

Reactions: Mud Turtle

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
They need to take a page out of the Stars play book. We have some good young pieces and some good older ones. Try to make a combined roster with those pieces. We may have a down year or two but it may lead us a quality piece in the draft.
Particularly if Bones is back next year I bet they’ll try to trade Ehlers to make room in the top 6 for someone like Lambert. I hope Perfetti is part of their plans as well.
Losing Ehler’s speed would be unfortunate but Bones doesn’t seem to value him too much.
I feel like the organization should focus on getting quicker at as many positions as possible but especially on defence. They could also really use a belligerent but talented top six guy who other teams hate.
Just some late evening cilantro fuelled musings on my favourite hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad