Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He would be a very nice top 9 addition, but the cost

For sure. The cost, but as another poster said earlier there are a lot of wingers available on the market. I think it’s going to be a buyers market. Panarin, Symmonds, duchene (c as well), Stone etc Ferland is pretty low on that list. So fingers crossed his price lowers and the other contenders beat each other up for the top guys

Reactions: Julio Jones

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Gives you some depth on D, especially on RHS.

Not likely much better than Ozhiganov. Why waste an asset on a #7D , who is also a pending UFA, when that's not the problem?

Leafs need more quality to push down pieces, not just depth.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I could see Dallas being interested in Zaitsev
Hanging on to a playoff spot, Methot and Klingberg are out on injury, leaning on rookie D Heiskanen
Only Klingberg, Johns, Oleksiak and Heiskanen signed next year, Lindell and Carrick RFAs
Z would slide in nicely behind Klingberg

Something around Nich, Ritchie , Honka

Zaitsev and Brown for Johns and Nich/Ritchie

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not likely much better than Ozhiganov. Why waste an asset on a #7D , who is also a pending UFA, when that's not the problem?

Leafs need more quality to push down pieces, not just depth.

A number 2 or 3 RD would be better than 3 * 5th. or 6th. guys.

Good defenders can easily play over 20 minutes a night.

Get 48 minutes per game from the top 2 pairings and only have to spot 3rd. pairing 12 minutes.

Don't want to weaken the forwards, but unless someone on the Marlies is ready, wait until next year then they'll be great.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A number 2 or 3 RD would be better than 3 * 5th. or 6th. guys.

Good defenders can easily play over 20 minutes a night.

Get 48 minutes per game from the top 2 pairings and only have to spot 3rd. pairing 12 minutes.

Don't want to weaken the forwards, but unless someone on the Marlies is ready, wait until next year then they'll be great.

Yes. I'd rather spend more to get a defenseman that can actually play meaningful minutes past this season. It's easier said than done but I wouldn't make a trade for the sake of one either, and McQuaid feels like that quite a bit.

Reactions: JustAShadow

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Leafs could still afford to move a forward or two off the Marlies at the deadline.

Brady Ferguson, Scott Pooley, Giorgio Estephan, Hudson Elynuik, and Matt Bradley could possibly all make the jump to the AHL if need be.

Ideally, none of them are full time guys for the Marlies. With Marchment already hurt, we've needed to make trades for depth as is, and our forward group is not something that can really afford guys getting dealt off of the roster. Unless McAdam or Subban are dealt to get some help up front. We can afford to move them, and I can see the Marlies doing exactly that before February 25th. We shouldn't be counting on the ECHL guys though. None of them have been good enough at the AHL level in their stints.

Timashov is the only one I think has value and could be easy enough to replace right now. Between Moore, Carcone and Bracco, we have good scoring/playmaking wingers who are undersized, and I think you could trade Subban or McAdam for an AHLer who could replace him.

Borgman is probably the ideal chip from the Marlies. He's not needed on LD with Rosen, Marincin and Sandin (and Jardine who can be brought back up to be the #4LD), and he'd have enough value to get some things done on the trade market.

Otherwise, I think it is more likely the Leafs turn to Dzierkals and Gordeev (if they do not plan on signing them) or SDA as trade chips.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Yes. I'd rather spend more to get a defenseman that can actually play meaningful minutes past this season. It's easier said than done but I wouldn't make a trade for the sake of one either, and McQuaid feels like that quite a bit.

In my dreams it's a right side D who is unquestionably top 4. That bumps down Zaitsev and Hainsey (maybe out of the lineup). The top pairings improve and the bottom pairings improve. Add some marginal right side D and all he does is add some questionable experience to the bottom pairing. In my dreams: Alex Pietrangelo with salary retained.

2020 1st
Andreas Johnsson
Nikita Zaitsev
Jesper Lindgren

Alex Pietrangelo +$2M retained
2020 3rd

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
In my dreams it's a right side D who is unquestionably top 4. That bumps down Zaitsev and Hainsey (maybe out of the lineup). The top pairings improve and the bottom pairings improve. Add some marginal right side D and all he does is add some questionable experience to the bottom pairing. In my dreams: Alex Pietrangelo with salary retained.

Forget AP, the Blues are now in a playoff position and I doubt they would move him. You would also have to move money out to bring him in. A more realistic target is Pesce or Faulk. Heard two media folks today suggesting that if Canes want AJ, the Leafs should force them to take Z as well. Yeah, I can see Waddel laughing at that one.

Given Leafs are in Denver tonight, a couple of Colorado media people suggested Sakic might be willing to move Barrie for a top 6 forward.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Ducks
Connor Brown & Justin Holl
for
Nick Ritchie

Leafs - Sabres
Nikita Zaitsev
for
4th

Leafs - Hurricanes
Kasperi Kapanen
for
Brett Pesce

Ritchie - - Matthews - - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Marleau - - - Kadri - - - Johnsson
Marchement - Gauthier - - Ennis

Muzzin - - - - Rielly
Gardiner - - - Pesce
Dermott - Hainsey

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
mcquaid is averaging-almost 18 minutes a night
strong physical box people out from the front of the net
65 blocked shots
plus 4 on a terrible ranger team
good playoff experience
stanley cup champ

will drop the gloves to protect teammates

i like him better than gudas as he will be cheaper

and no Oz isnt as good zero playoff experience and hasnt learned
to be physical in the nhl. ill be surprised if he is resigned,

Reactions: ToneDog and WildBoy

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Leafs - Ducks
for
Nick Ritchie

Leafs - Sabres
Nikita Zaitsev
for
4th

Leafs - Hurricanes
Kasperi Kapanen
for
Brett Pesce

Muzzin - - - - Rielly
Gardiner - - - Pesce
Dermott - Hainsey

I'd do all these deals

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah but the cost of getting him will be higher than McQuaid. McQuaid can probably be had for a 4th/5th rd pick.

But you're right, I would look into getting Gudas first if the Price is right.

Gudas is a bit pricey. He places 3rd pairing minutes for over $3.3M and deal runs into next season which is problematic. If he could play 2nd pairing it would work, but that would be a role of the dice. McQuaid is cheaper, nice physical game, pk and would cost less to acquire. Plus we can call him Lone Wolf.

Reactions: OVO16 and ToneDog

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
That fine but I'm asking...did he say he's heard "The Leafs have interest in Adam Mcquaid"...or was it more along the line of "I think Adam Mcquaid makes sense for the leafs.

No he actually didn't say that. He was asked and he said something like "its possible but he doesn't seem to be what they need".

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs - Ducks
for
Nick Ritchie

Leafs - Sabres
Nikita Zaitsev
for
4th

Leafs - Hurricanes
Kasperi Kapanen
for
Brett Pesce

Muzzin - - - - Rielly
Gardiner - - - Pesce
Dermott - Hainsey

Not gonna get into the deals, but Nick Ritchie would be a very good low-key target that I've been preaching the last few days.

Obviously, when people think of Top 9 PF's available right now, they automatically think of Simmonds or Ferland (for obvious reasons, I would love either one).

But Ritchie could possibly be available for a cheaper price if Simmonds and Ferland seem too pricey.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I would do Connor Brown for Ritchie straight up. Both players bring a different element to the table. Ducks are badly in need of more skill over toughness. While the leafs want a bit of toughness over skill.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Mathews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
Ritchie-Gauthier-Ennis/Lindholm

Reactions: Julio Jones

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I wonder if the Caps still want a couple mid-round picks for Burakovsky. Flip them Lindholm as a contract back and a few picks and see if a change of scenery gets him back to a 20 goal player.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Burakovsky-Gauthier-Brown
Ennis

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I wonder if the Caps still want a couple mid-round picks for Burakovsky. Flip them Lindholm as a contract back and a few picks and see if a change of scenery gets him back to a 20 goal player.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Burakovsky-Gauthier-Brown
Ennis

Although I like the player, his contract would be an issue. He's an RFA making 3m.

Death or Glory

Apr 28, 2018
Would a Gardiner for Zadorov and Wilson deal work. I know he's a lefty but he hits and could play on 3rd pair with Oz or Hainsey. Wilson is a ufa, I don't know how much center he's played lately but he's a ufa . Might be a 4th line upgrade. The combined contracts are almost a wash.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Would a Gardiner for Zadorov and Wilson deal work. I know he's a lefty but he hits and could play on 3rd pair with Oz or Hainsey. Wilson is a ufa, I don't know how much center he's played lately but he's a ufa . Might be a 4th line upgrade. The combined contracts are almost a wash.
Avs fans love Zadorov, dont let them see this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad