Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I still think Dallas would be a team very interested.
Dallas fans have also expressed a liking for a Faksa++ for Kadri swap at the draft.
At it's core the deal saves us 2.3m next season while not gutting the centre depth, just changes the complexion of the 3rd line with a heavy style more defensive C.
Say the ++ was their 2nd and one of Mascherin/Back/Ericksson or Damiani that goes a long way to re stocking the prospect pool. If they would pay positive value for Zaitsev and include a 2nd one of that grouping it would be huge. Couple it with Brown for a 3rd trade and we're locked and loaded - two picks in each of rounds 2-3-4, two prospects injected into the top 5-10,
2.3 (Kadri to Faksa) + 1.35 (Brown to Moore) + 4.5 (Zaitsev) = 8.15 cap cleared.

Assuming MM 10.5x5-6, KK 3.2x2, AJ 1.5x1, Oz 1x1, Sparks .9x1

It leaves us with 6.67 million to sign/ play a defenseman, a 4th line wing, and a 13th forward and run a 22 man roster.
That's Stralman or bring back Gardiner space

Reactions: Kiwi and SprDaVE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dallas fans have also expressed a liking for a Faksa++ for Kadri swap at the draft.
At it's core the deal saves us 2.3m next season while not gutting the centre depth, just changes the complexion of the 3rd line with a heavy style more defensive C.
Say the ++ was their 2nd and one of Mascherin/Back/Ericksson or Damiani that goes a long way to re stocking the prospect pool. If they would pay positive value for Zaitsev and include a 2nd one of that grouping it would be huge. Couple it with Brown for a 3rd trade and we're locked and loaded - two picks in each of rounds 2-3-4, two prospects injected into the top 5-10,
2.3 (Kadri to Faksa) + 1.35 (Brown to Moore) + 4.5 (Zaitsev) = 8.15 cap cleared.

It leaves us with 6.67 million to sign/ play a defenseman, a 4th line wing, and a 13th forward and run a 22 man roster.

I'd do Kadri+Zaitsev for Faksa+Johns+2nd

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I'd expect the Leafs to take up a little more cap back in this kind of deal but overall it makes sense to me and it's in line with what I had in mind.

I personally had a Honka for Zaitsev swap. Maybe a pick from Dallas? Maybe a B/C Prospect? Leafs get a depth defenseman with hope they can develop further and they clear a ton of cap space.

Trade Brown for a few picks at the draft.

Keep Kadri for another season.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't think trading Kadri is the answer. He is more valuable to the Leafs come playoff time then he might be today.

He is one of the few players we have that play with that playoff tenacity.

Reactions: Macallan18

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd be super sad to see Kadri traded but a trade like that might make some sense. Is this Faksa player actually a good defensive center?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I believe Zaitsev has positive value.

If the Leafs do move him I expect it will be for a decent return, but I'd rather the give him a stay at home partner and move Gardiner.

NHL Defenders
> 25 games
RHD - 82
LHD -122

Is he paid too much? At most 1 million, if that.
He might even look good with a stay at home partner, on a team that does live off the stretch pass.

Leafs
RHD: Zaitsev, Ozhiganov, Holl.
LHD: Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Gardiner, Hainsey, Marincin

Leafs
Centers: Matthews, Tavares, Nylander (except for Babcock), Kadri, Lindholm, Gauthier

Kadri became a NHL fulltime center at age 22, after the lock-out. Nylander is 22.

Leafs are set at offense, or sure the heck better be with the money they're going to be paying for it.
They have a goaltender who should be in the Vezina conversation.
The have depth on LD.

One hole to fix at RD, and maybe some tweaking on left wing.

Kadri and Gardiner (UFA)
for
Ferland(UFA) and Hamilton from the 'Canes

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't think trading Kadri is the answer. He is more valuable to the Leafs come playoff time then he might be today.

He is one of the few players we have that play with that playoff tenacity.
Kadri has 8 points in 17 playoff games. Nylander, who is soft and useless, has 8 points in 13 games.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don’t think Dubas wants to be done, but at this point it’s more about the price of things.

If prices are high, Dubas won’t do anything drastic.

I do wonder if the Zaitsev for Stetcher thing has legs. I can see Zaitsev end up in VAN. They have cap space, they have the need, and they just have Jay Beagle 3M, so Benning isn’t exactly the best monetary value judge.

Gets us Stetcher at 2.3M this year and next, and rids is of Zaitsev

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This year before deadline:

Gardiner for Justin Braun.
then
Kapanen + Brown for Pesce.

Anytime - Zaitsev traded.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Kadri has 8 points in 17 playoff games. Nylander, who is soft and useless, has 8 points in 13 games.

Performance in playoffs isn't about points only, its about playing a defensive responsible game, hitting and tenacity. Kadri exemplifies all of those and one of the few on our team that does.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'd trade Johnsson before Kapanen unless it's for a Parayko package etc, or Pesce straight up.

Johnsson's concussion history scares me, and he's older.

Plus while his ceiling is higher than Kapanen's, Kappy has a floor that even if he doesn't pan out on the top end, he's still valuable as a 2nd line PK winger who can chip in 40-45 points, like a Silfverberg type

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Performance in playoffs isn't about points only, its about playing a defensive responsible game, hitting and tenacity. Kadri exemplifies all of those and one of the few on our team that does.
He really doesn't hit much, and I really don't see anything especially tenacious on a consistent basis. When he gets a bee in his bonnet, sure. But that is very infrequent, and he is prone to very long stretches of disappearing. He had the best defensive wingers on the team with him, so the defensive part is a rather media driven narrative based on who he was playing with.

I like Naz, don't get me wrong here. But some here are avowed Naz haters, but many others will not accept any criticism of him at all. I am in the middle, I call what I see. Like I do with all players. He still needs to produce - 2 goals in 3 playoff seasons just isn't enough.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I think if we are scouting Ferland, that Crouse would be a better option. Younger, bigger, tougher. Not as talented but can still play well is a LW and will be a lot cheaper than Ferland.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don’t think Dubas wants to be done, but at this point it’s more about the price of things.

If prices are high, Dubas won’t do anything drastic.

I do wonder if the Zaitsev for Stetcher thing has legs. I can see Zaitsev end up in VAN. They have cap space, they have the need, and they just have Jay Beagle 3M, so Benning isn’t exactly the best monetary value judge.

Gets us Stetcher at 2.3M this year and next, and rids is of Zaitsev

It would require too much turnover to add upgrades to the roster. It's pretty rare in the NHL to see so much turn over on a roster with ~25 games left in the season. This is what a lot of people around here seem to not understand. I can't see the Leafs changing 2-3 different roster players to shuffle the deck around as a top 5 team in the NHL. We simply don't have the cap space to just add a player without having to remove at least the same amount of cap space.

All this scouting isn't going to be wasted going into the off-season where the majority of the tinkering will be made.

I would wager a lot of money that what you see right now is what you get. Maybe a depth move or two as most teams do. The Leafs could use a center they can call-up from the Marlies in case of injuries, as well as probably adding a LW with Grundstrom gone and Marchment injured.

Stecher isn't very good but I would be more than fine with a Zaitsev for Stetcher swap. He's capable for the bottom pairing and half the cap hit.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
He really doesn't hit much, and I really don't see anything especially tenacious on a consistent basis. When he gets a bee in his bonnet, sure. But that is very infrequent, and he is prone to very long stretches of disappearing. He had the best defensive wingers on the team with him, so the defensive part is a rather media driven narrative based on who he was playing with.

I like Naz, don't get me wrong here. But some here are avowed Naz haters, but many others will not accept any criticism of him at all. I am in the middle, I call what I see. Like I do with all players. He still needs to produce - 2 goals in 3 playoff seasons just isn't enough.

One playoff season was shortened due to suspension, and pretty much took his head out of it. Bogus suspension but I wont go there.

Still a player you want on your team during the playoffs. Regardless of scoring.

Reactions: stickty111

RLF

May 5, 2014
With the addition of Muzzin, if the writing was on the wall in pencil for Gardiner, it is pretty much in ink now.

I would consider moving Jake if we could return an RHD ar lower cost with some term + an asset. The only teams I could see doing this is teams that likely won't make the playoffs and would want to flip Jake at the TDL for other assets and retool some or sell-off. They would also have to have a good RHD talent pool and prospects to absorb the loss. Jake's value is a hard one to judge imo.

Not sure on all the values here, but thought worth a shot at throwing out some ideas.

Gardiner to

Panthers
Pysyk, Noel, 2019 3rd(EDM)

Philly
Gudas, Ratcliffe/Strome

Ducks
Montour, Terry/Kopacka

Gardiner, Johnsson to

Canes
Pesce, Ferland

Reactions: Cobra777 and rumman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It would require too much turnover to add upgrades to the roster. It's pretty rare in the NHL to see so much turn over on a roster with ~25 games left in the season. This is what a lot of people around here seem to not understand. I can't see the Leafs changing 2-3 different roster players to shuffle the deck around as a top 5 team in the NHL. We simply don't have the cap space to just add a player without having to remove at least the same amount of cap space.

All this scouting isn't going to be wasted going into the off-season where the majority of the tinkering will be made.

I would wager a lot of money that what you see right now is what you get. Maybe a depth move or two as most teams do. The Leafs could use a center they can call-up from the Marlies in case of injuries, as well as probably adding a LW with Grundstrom gone and Marchment injured.

Stecher isn't very good, a downgrade on Zaitsev to me, but I would be more than fine with a Zaitsev for Stetcher swap. He's capable for the bottom pairing and half the cap hit.

I could see 1 "major" (by today's standards) trade that involves a roster player and adding a roster player (Pesce most likely).

Marleau, Zaitsev and Brown (not necessarily all of them) moves are likely to wait until the off-season if they're going to happen.

Also a chance at 1 minor league trade too I think. Maybe Borgman?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
With the addition of Muzzin, if the writing was on the wall in pencil for Gardiner, it is pretty much in ink now.

I would consider moving Jake if we could return an RHD ar lower cost with some term + an asset. The only teams I could see doing this is teams that likely won't make the playoffs and would want to flip Jake at the TDL for other assets and retool some or sell-off. They would also have to have a good RHD talent pool and prospects to absorb the loss. Jake's value is a hard one to judge imo.

Not sure on all the values here, but thought worth a shot at throwing out some ideas.

Gardiner to

Panthers
Pysyk, Noel, 2019 3rd(EDM)

Philly
Gudas, Ratcliffe/Strome

Ducks
Montour, Terry/Kopacka

Gardiner, Johnsson to

Canes
Pesce, Ferland
I still think whoever posted the Jake Gardiner for Justin Braun trade had it right. Braun has an extra year, and was on SJ's shutdown pair the last few years alongside Vlasic. Jake can walk after the season allowing SJ to use the cap to try to re-up Karlsson. Also saves the Leafs $250k this season, which would make a Kapanen + Brown for Pesce trade doable. And you can either keep Zaitsev for now, or try to trade him in the summer to free up the room.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I could see 1 "major" (by today's standards) trade that involves a roster player and adding a roster player (Pesce most likely).

Marleau, Zaitsev and Brown (not necessarily all of them) moves are likely to wait until the off-season if they're going to happen.

I don't see it. Leafs do not want to remove from their top 9 roster, that much was made crystal clear when they acquired Muzzin. They do not want to trade Kapanen or Nylander for very obvious reasons. Johnsson is playing out of his mind right now and should not be someone to trade in-season... and he doesn't make enough money in order to trade him for Pesce. Even if they do acquire a defenseman, who sits out for the new defenseman? Dermott? Hainsey?

I've been very vocal the Leafs should not be feel attached to Ron Hainsey and they should sell him for as much as possible (picks) and then turn around to get a right handed defenseman that can potentially be here past this season (Jensen? Pysyk? etc).

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Zaitsev and pick to Vegas for merill in off-season
Sign mcquad for 2 mill ish if Lil isn't ready

Muzzin Reilly
Dermott braun
Merill Mcquad

I'd also trade brown for Crouse at deadline and sign DSP in off-season

Last edited:

RLF

May 5, 2014
I still think whoever posted the Jake Gardiner for Justin Braun trade had it right. Braun has an extra year, and was on SJ's shutdown pair the last few years alongside Vlasic. Jake can walk after the season allowing SJ to use the cap to try to re-up Karlsson. Also saves the Leafs $250k this season, which would make a Kapanen + Brown for Pesce trade doable. And you can either keep Zaitsev for now, or try to trade him in the summer to free up the room.

I just don't see why SJ, one of the best teams in the West, would trade one of their better defensive defenders for an offensive defender when they already have Karlsson and Burns. I don't see the need for them to acquire Jake. But maybe.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I just don't see why SJ, one of the best teams in the West, would trade one of their better defensive defenders for an offensive defender when they already have Karlsson and Burns. I don't see the need for them to acquire Jake. But maybe.

They need to move salary . It was a sj fan who started a thread about moving Braun melker and labanc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad