Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
well then there is the reason he is better than brown. Another poster wanted to just compare points and call him a brown level player

He moved up to play with Gaudreau and Monahan and 1 point and caused all kinds of chaos and created lots of space for them.

I could see a guy like Ferland with Tavares and Marner or Matthews and Nylander.

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He moved up to play with Gaudreau and Monahan and 1 point and caused all kinds of chaos and created lots of space for them.

I could see a guy like Ferland with Tavares and Marner or Matthews and Nylander.

Ferland on the left side with Tavares, Matthews, or Kadri would be be a good blend with Marner, Nylander, or Kappy on the right side.

Reactions: ACC1224

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ferland on the left side with Tavares, Matthews, or Kadri would be be a good blend with Marner, Nylander, or Kappy on the right side.

He's a good fit in the top 9. Depending on how Zaitsev+Marleau situation worked out, I would consider re-signing him for 3 years at 5M (tops). I wouldn't go above that because his body will break down at that age.

If he's a rental, then Brown+Pick (not our 2nd this year because I don't want to be without a top 60 pick) would be decent value.

Reactions: Julio Jones

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
is ferland not grittier than Brown? so a grittier player who scores the same or slightly better? sounds good to me if oyu could swap them. Brown is not gritty what so ever.

This depends on if ferland is gritty though, id rather pull my own eyes out than watch a Carolina game that doesn't involve the leafs

I'm really just having some fun questioning the elevation of Ferland's status. I absolutely agree that the Leafs need to add grit badly and Ferland is an example of that. I also have an issue with this piling on with regards to Brown. Brown is a bit gritty in the sense that he absolutely doesn't play like a chicken. Brown just isn't big or strong or mean. That highlight video of Ferland suggests to me that Ferland's a bit of a dirtbag. A dirtbag who wouldn't make it through a single series for Toronto without a lengthy suspension.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Will the Canes be buyers or sellers at the NHL trade deadline?
The most pressing personnel decision for the Canes, who have not been a playoff team since 2009, is what to do about players who will become unrestricted free agents after the season -- and forward Micheal Ferland, in particular.

Ferland, obtained in the offseason trade with Calgary, has toughness, can play in the top six at forward and has playoff experience. He would make a good “rental,” another of those oft-used words, for a number of teams if the Canes decide to trade him.

“We’ve got some UFAs and one that has gotten some interest and traction,” Waddell said of Ferland. “I’ve said maybe that’s our rental piece if things are going well. We know we may not be able to sign him, but if we trade him we have to go out and find a piece."

“I would say we’re talking to a lot of people, a lot of teams. But I’ve told everybody we’ll get through the (road trip) and see where things are.”
“You never know when you make these trades,” Waddell said. “You always hope they work out for both teams. I’ve made a lot of trades and some work out and some don’t."
Waddell said a rule of thumb for him in trades is: “I don’t worry as much about what we’re giving up as what we’re getting.”

“If you look at trades on paper, and that’s the job of the media to say who won or lost a trade, I look at it differently,” he said. “Did we fill a need that our hockey club needed? This position, and we’ve talked about it for a long time, we needed some goal scoring and that’s why we did it.”

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm really just having some fun questioning the elevation of Ferland's status. I absolutely agree that the Leafs need to add grit badly and Ferland is an example of that. I also have an issue with this piling on with regards to Brown. Brown is a bit gritty in the sense that he absolutely doesn't play like a chicken. Brown just isn't big or strong or mean. That highlight video of Ferland suggests to me that Ferland's a bit of a dirtbag. A dirtbag who wouldn't make it through a single series for Toronto without a lengthy suspension.

brown being called gritty is a symptom of the leafs being so non gritty. He isn't at all, imo we need to move brown at some point anyway. So moving brown in a move for ferland or a separate move and bring ferland in would be a good move for us. Now its extremely unlikely we can resign ferland that needs to be taken into account too

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
he has 5 years left on his deal. Players with that much term rarely get moved for value

Since when is term a bad thing? Another misconception that is constantly thrown around by so called "experts" inmedia. Term is only bad if you are a bad player or overpaid, like Alzner or Lucic.

Zaitsev is neither, so term is a good thing for him... If anything it raises his value, especially when that term ends appropriately.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Anyone else hear about this Adam McQuaid rumour on TSN 1050?
Wondering what people would think of him. I could see his value as a third pairing guy because of his physical edge, but can't see him in the lineup over anyone we already have.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Wondering what people would think of him. I could see his value as a third pairing guy because of his physical edge, but can't see him in the lineup over anyone we already have.

I'll take him over Hainsey. No doubt.

But I'm curious to know, was it an actual rumor you heard or some guy's personal preference over the radio?

I would def be interested in Mcquaid

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Gudas can actually play and is not a rental. I would love to add him

Yeah but the cost of getting him will be higher than McQuaid. McQuaid can probably be had for a 4th/5th rd pick.

But you're right, I would look into getting Gudas first if the Price is right.

Reactions: Cobra777

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I'll take him over Hainsey. No doubt.

But I'm curious to know, was it an actual rumor you heard or some guy's personal preference over the radio?

I would def be interested in Mcquaid

Darren Dreger … so just some guy I guess

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Darren Dreger … so just some guy I guess

That fine but I'm asking...did he say he's heard "The Leafs have interest in Adam Mcquaid"...or was it more along the line of "I think Adam Mcquaid makes sense for the leafs.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

he's someone i've always liked as a bottom pair rhd d, clear the net, big shot, history with the bruins
i liked him as a FA option this summer but if they can get him now depending on cost i think its a good add

Reactions: Cobra777 and OVO16

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The problem is nobody is sitting out for him?

Makes little sense. I don't really see much better than what we have.

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
The Leafs could still afford to move a forward or two off the Marlies at the deadline.

Brady Ferguson, Scott Pooley, Giorgio Estephan, Hudson Elynuik, and Matt Bradley could possibly all make the jump to the AHL if need be.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
That fine but I'm asking...did he say he's heard "The Leafs have interest in Adam Mcquaid"...or was it more along the line of "I think Adam Mcquaid makes sense for the leafs.

I didn't actually hear the segment, just a short clip that was very vague... something like "There's speculation the Leafs are kicking the tires on how much it would cost to get Adam McQuaid" or something to that affect - nothing definitive at all. Was actually hoping someone else heard the whole segment and could fill us in.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
The problem is nobody is sitting out for him?

Makes little sense.

It's not uncommon to see teams hoping for a long playoff run to add defensive depth guys but I see your point. I'm not personally suggesting this move, just wondering what others think about Dreger's comment.

Reactions: SprDaVE

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I didn't actually hear the segment, just a short clip that was very vague... something like "There's speculation the Leafs are kicking the tires on how much it would cost to get Adam McQuaid" or something to that affect - nothing definitive at all. Was actually hoping someone else heard the whole segment and could fill us in.

There are several teams out and done, so it would be reasonable to assume Dubas or his lieutenant would be contacting these teams about availability and cost.

I believe the suggestion, but if he said any number of 20 other defenders I could believe that as well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
Spurgeon
Foligno ( 1 mill retained)

Toronto
Gardiner
Brown
Bracco

The Wild are definitely a team to watch for a potential trade partner, they may be on the cusp of moving out a player or two for a retool.

Gardiner wouldn’t have any value to them though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No idea why the Wild do this, especially currently in a playoff spot.

The team has been lacklustre. Rumors around town seem to suggest management may be looking for a change.

Though I think itll be an offseason decision and they’ll see if they make the playoffs before they pull the trigger on anything major.

Reactions: SprDaVE

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If the Leafs trade for Adam McQuaid, could he fly backwards around the Sun about 5 times on his trip here?

Reminds me of that trade of many years ago for defenseman Pratt.

Tracy Pratt in 1977 that is, not future Hall of Famer Babe Pratt in 1942.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca