sorry wall of text... the real study of chiarelli's last 5 years in boston

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
its called a sophomore slump...plenty of players have one.

16/17 Florida was a dumpster fire of turmoil. They dumped Gallant 20 games in coming off a division crown. Huberdeau only played 31 games. Everyone saw their numbers drop, not just Smith. Yandle, Barkov, Jagr, all declined

Jagr turned 80 that year, and was just finally slowing down. Barkov put up comparable numbers to the year before. Marchessault scored 30, and had a breakout year. Trocheck had one more point despite the dumpster fire AND it being his sophomore season. Guess he worked through it?

I don’t dislike Smith, but you seem to be making a lot of excuses for him. What’s the excuse going to be when he has a down year this season?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Braun, S. Wilson, Kase, Dzingel, Demers, Haula, Stralman, Palat, Hornqvist, Hunwick, Gunnarsson, Pavelski, Lundqvist, Zetterberg and Freddie Andersen were all 7th Rounders.

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
Just goes to show how inexact a science drafting really is. Yet some feel like every draft pick should become a star (Ok maybe not quite that, but you get my drift).

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Mike e OConnell got 3 players for an underperforming Joe Thornton including Primeau who’s brother was very good with Detroit, Stuart (i forget his first name but he was a top 3 overall pick with SJ. It’s not OConnell fault his playboy model girl friend didn’t want to go to Boston)

And Marco Sturm the best player in the history of Germany - a big place with I think more people then Canada.

Actually quite a haul

He drafted Bergeron, Krejci and signed Tim Thomas

Takes talent to find gems like Bergy Krejci and Thomas. Not all of us have manufactured dynasties rewarded for tanking and fixing drafts like Pitt or a team Chicago who had to be horrible for a decade to acquire 2 premier players. Teams like Boston and LA i respect a lot more bc they built their teams based on good management

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Takes talent to find gems like Bergy Krejci and Thomas. Not all of us have manufactured dynasties rewarded for tanking and fixing drafts like Pitt or a team Chicago who had to be horrible for a decade to acquire 2 premier players. Teams like Boston and LA i respect a lot more bc they built their teams based on good management

I agree with most of this, but Boston was also “gifted” Seguin and managed to f*** that up royally. I like where they are right now, but if they had kept him or got fair value on a trade, they would be in even better shape IMO.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What is the lowest first round draft slot the Bruins have had with their own pick since they picked Hamill over a decade ago ?

I believe it’s 14

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
What is the lowest first round draft slot the Bruins have had with their own pick since they picked Hamill over a decade ago ?

I believe it’s 14
Here's a rundown, since 2007:
2007 - 8th - Hamill
2008 - 16th - Colborne
2009 - 25th - Caron
2010 - Traded own 1st to FLA, who traded it to LAK. Ended up 15th overall. Bruins picked Seguin with the 2nd pick (From TOR)
2011 - Traded own 1st (30th) to TOR, who traded it to ANA. Bruins picked Hamilton 9th with TOR's 1st rounder.
2012 - 24th - Subban
2013 - No 1st - Traded to DAL in Jagr trade
2014 - 25th - Pastrnak
2015 - 13 - Picked Zboril with LAK's pick
- 14 - Picked DeBruck with own 14th
- 15 - Picked Senyshyn with CAL's pick
2016 - 14 - McAvoy
- Picked Frederic with SJS's pick
2017 - 18 - Vaakaneinen
2018 - Traded own 1st to NYR in Nash trade. Pick went to OTT on draft day. Pick ended up 26. Bruins did not have a pick in the 1st round.

So, Bruins have picked (with their own picks) 25th (twice), 24th, 18th, 16th, 14th (twice), and 8th (which was Hamill). Certainly not Chicago, sucking for a decade to get good players.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Here's a rundown, since 2007:
2007 - 8th - Hamill
2008 - 16th - Colborne
2009 - 25th - Caron
2010 - Traded own 1st to FLA, who traded it to LAK. Ended up 15th overall. Bruins picked Seguin with the 2nd pick (From TOR)
2011 - Traded own 1st (30th) to TOR, who traded it to ANA. Bruins picked Hamilton 9th with TOR's 1st rounder.
2012 - 24th - Subban
2013 - No 1st - Traded to DAL in Jagr trade
2014 - 25th - Pastrnak
2015 - 13 - Picked Zboril with LAK's pick
- 14 - Picked DeBruck with own 14th
- 15 - Picked Senyshyn with CAL's pick
2016 - 14 - McAvoy
- Picked Frederic with SJS's pick
2017 - 18 - Vaakaneinen
2018 - Traded own 1st to NYR in Nash trade. Pick went to OTT on draft day. Pick ended up 26. Bruins did not have a pick in the 1st round.

So, Bruins have picked (with their own picks) 25th (twice), 24th, 18th, 16th, 14th (twice), and 8th (which was Hamill). Certainly not Chicago, sucking for a decade to get good players.
But but buhhhhh.....but Pittsburgh has the blue print

5 Whitney
1 Fleury
1 Crosby
2 Malkin
2 Jo Staal

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Spot on.

He needs an editor. Stream of consciousness writing at it's best. I have an energy drink before I tackle the long ones.

if I could have an editor... yes please

I promise my fellow board members if I win me a huge lottery here in Canada, an editor for my posting will be the first luxury I pony up for.

until then... my unconscious will probably prevent any amount of self control. as always I apologize to those who find the wall of text offensive. and I accept many will tune me out

also props to those who notice im a little bit passive aggressive with some of my snarky comments {its not a trait im proud of and believe it or not I self edit out about 90% of the ones I origionally type}

sometimes I feel its necessary for my own level of anger management to let the odd one sneak through. for those who have accused me of being arrogant I wont take exception. I cant soft sell it.

I take my bruins very passionately. I spend maybe 25 hours a week obsessing about my bruins. ive done it for over 40 years now. I spend way more time on the bruins then I do my wife... or... my job even lol

if someone is pushing one of my hot buttons about the bruins... I may make some snarky comments... so let me take this moment to apologize

I cant promise it wont happen again. but I will apologize

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
if I could have an editor... yes please

I promise my fellow board members if I win me a huge lottery here in Canada, an editor for my posting will be the first luxury I pony up for.

until then... my unconscious will probably prevent any amount of self control. as always I apologize to those who find the wall of text offensive. and I accept many will tune me out

also props to those who notice im a little bit passive aggressive with some of my snarky comments {its not a trait im proud of and believe it or not I self edit out about 90% of the ones I origionally type}

sometimes I feel its necessary for my own level of anger management to let the odd one sneak through. for those who have accused me of being arrogant I wont take exception. I cant soft sell it.

I take my bruins very passionately. I spend maybe 25 hours a week obsessing about my bruins. ive done it for over 40 years now. I spend way more time on the bruins then I do my wife... or... my job even lol

if someone is pushing one of my hot buttons about the bruins... I may make some snarky comments... so let me take this moment to apologize

I cant promise it wont happen again. but I will apologize
At least you own up to it. That's not a bad thing. :laugh:

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I sometimes wonder how different the last decade would've been if Chiarelli just picked Couture over Hamill.

Imagine how bad the 80s and 90s would of been had the Blackhawks not taken Keith Brown in 1979 at No.7 (Reportedly Boston's 1st choice), leaving the Bruins to take their back-up option at 8.....a guy named Raymond Bourque.

Works both ways.

Reactions: northeastern

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
GMs, like people in certain other professions, can have a good stretch followed by a bad stretch. There are not a whole lot of GMs who can keep things going at a super high level for a long period. There are GMs who look brilliant for 5 or 6 years, then all of a sudden some bad decisions are made and the team slips into mediocrity. Chia had a good run with Boston. Made some great decisions. Had a great coach. Seemed to be able to make the right moves to put the Bs in a position to compete at a high level for multiple seasons. Then things started falling apart for him. Not bringing in a a good D man in 2013 to replace an injured player ended up costing the Bs dearly in the Cup finals. He started losing me on that one. Some bad contracts handed out, some trades without adequately replacing what was lost, and some bad luck with injuries were what made for his downfall. He lost any mojo and/or luck that he had previously enjoyed.

As for the Thomas stuff -- give me a damn break! Many of the same people in the media making a mountain out of a molehill have not made a peep about the DOZENS of pro sports players who have not attended the White House ceremony since Thomas decided not to attend. Seriously, the media figures who made a big deal about that (politically driven obviously since it's ok to boycott if the "wrong" President is in office) can all go to hell. And for the record, I think it's stupid to not attend the White House ceremony just because you don't like who lives in it. By the same token it's stupid to suggest all the players who have boycotted over the years have somehow hurt team chemistry or otherwise hurt the team's results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad