sorry wall of text... the real study of chiarelli's last 5 years in boston

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
so I see in another thread how Chiarelli sucked... and we should have had 3 cup wins with that team he got lucky and inherited. I decided to look at the rosters for the 5 years between 2011-2015 when he got fired after his 1 and only miss of the playoffs. I also am throwing light on the kids that got developed under his watch... the draft picks that were strategically picked to fill holes... asking if anyone would have kept a couple of the guys that were moved... and im wondering who was available that we didn't get?

heres the wall of text...

lets start with the 2011 cup winning team and see were we go...
hornton/krejci/lucic
recchi/bergeron/marchand
seguin/kelly/peverly
thornton/campbell/paille
caron
seidenberg/chara
boychuk/ferece
mcquaid/karberle
bartowski/hnidy
thomas
rask

pretty good team yes? personally I wanted to see it kept together... this was a young team with a ton of potential even after the devastating loss of marc Savard. I thought we could be looking at a dynasty but what happened next?

does anyone remember on january 23 2o12 the bruins visited the white house... and tim thomas decided his politics came ahead of the team unity.

the bruins record on that day was 26-12-2 cruising along as the beast in the east. they limped 23-17-2 the rest of the season and were roadkill for a strong washington capitals team with a very hot goalie come playoffs.

what did chiarelli do to help/hurt that team? how was it his fault Thomas didn't go to the white house and then created the s storm that followed? how was it Chiarelli's fault that holtby was incredible against us? lets see what the man actually did to keep that great cup team together for another chance...

horton/krecji/lucic remain intact
seguin/bergeron/marchand... we lose recchi to retirement
peverly/kelly/pouliot... was pouliot a horrible gamble?
thornton/campbell/paille
rolston
seidenberg/chara
boychuk/ference
mcquaid/krug
bartowski/corvo
rask
Thomas

honestly other than dealing with thomas {who had the ntc} what did chiarelli do so wrong? he kept the cup team together. we all would have freaked if he did anything different. but it was a very very very UNIQUE situation with thomas that turned the season upside down.

moving on to 2013 and we finally get thomas out of our hair as he takes the year off {screwing us the chance to deal him for assets in the process and sticking us with a massive 35+ cap penalty by the way}

we do go to the cup finals where bergeron gets the punctured lung... chara is playing with the busted hand... and a pretty damn good chicago team {yeah those guys that won 3 cups and were pretty damn good} manages to beat us in a very close series.

what did chiarelli do to help/hurt that team?

horton/krecji/lucic... yep still here
seguin/bergeron/marchand... yep still here
jagr/peverly/kelly... pretty damn impressive rental
thornton/campbell/paille... considered best 4th line in league
soderberg
seidenberg/chara
boychuk/ference
mcquaid/krug
hamilton/redden
rask
khubodin

so... was it chiarellis fault thomas flaked out and left the team? chiarelli brings in 2 impressive kids soderberg/hamilton... trades for a hof god in jagr... and picks up a pretty good backup in khubodin. with a bit better health to our 2 best players are you saying we didnt have a chance to beat chicago {and lets remember chicago was pretty damn good}
so now... the team is starting to get expensive

2013-14... the controversial tyler seguin trade.. does anyone think chiarelli does that without upper management in his ear? we all watched the behind the b's... we all have heard the spin doctoring afterwards. seguin was going to be moved no matter who the gm was. did we get enough for him? remember edmonton got 1 second pair dman for taylor hall. ryan johanson only brought back a dman with potentil {although looks very good now} and matt duchense was a cancer in the colorado locker room as he couldnt be traded for a year and 1/2 before finally being moved for kids/prospects that may or may not turn out.

Boston had just gone to 2 cup finals in 3 years... they needed immediate impact players and prospects that could possibly jump up and contribute right away... and they needed cap relief.
iginla was signed to replace the immediate production lost by seguin... 2 mill base hit {rest in bonus} Eriksson was traded for to upgrade over Jagr/Recchi as the cagey vet... and continuing the process of bringing up kids spooner/kevan miller were introduced... as well as finding a quality backup in chad johnson... not so bad given the huge cap crunch

is anyone suggesting we should have kept nathan horton? rumor was he was leaving to columbus for family reasons no matter what we offered... and it sure appears like he was damaged goods. chiarelli bit the bullet and made that call

iginla/krecji/lucic {good replacement for the top line}
smith/bergeron/marchand {say what you want about smith ending in boston... obviously the kid has talent}
eriksson/soderberg/kelly {the narrative is chiarelli kept overpriced 3rd liners around... but peverly is gone now}
thornton/campbell/paille
spooner
seidenberg/chara
Boychuk/krug {ferrence is gone... another high priced reserve}
hamilton/mcquaid
miller/meszaros
rask
Johnson

yes we lost in round II... in game 7... against the team we always jynx against... self destruct against... does chiarelli play the games? did anyone think that we would lose against montreal??? lets remember we were the presidents cup trophy. chiarelli build one hell of a team on paper. but the players need to play. they fell short. my strong belief is if we get past montreal we are going to the finals for the 3rd time in 4 years. chiarelli built a team that was a favorite to go...

this is a 4 year run without any mistakes other than the possible seguin trade... if you think there was better offers you can criticize that. otherwise good luck finding things to fault him
its not like we werent spending to the max... its not like we had room to bring in a crap load of other expensive talent

then we get to 2014-15 the last realistic year you can keep a cup team together before it needs massive rebuilding do to cap. and the year we do miss the playoffs and Chiarelli gets fired

some huge cap problems were developing due to the 4 great years we just had... iginla.. wanted a 3 year deal. does anyone think chiarelli should give him that? chiarelli lets the scouting team draft pastrnak knowing we were going to need to replace the top rw. johnny boychuk is moved due to cap reasons... the igninla penalty puts us into very tight cap restrictions. does anyone want boychuk here at 6 mill per year? the picks we get for boychuk are basically wasted on brent connolly... it didnt work but it wasnt the worlds worst ever gamble. he was a big winger/center drafted very high who had gone through injuries. sometimes those guys turn into the next cam neely/john leclair. not in this case

so what did our team look like?

eriksson/krecji/lucic
smith/bergeron/marchand
pastrnak/spooner/soderberg
thornton/campbell/paille
kelly/connolly
hamilton/chara
seidenberg/krug
mcquaid/miller
morrow
rask
Svedberg

honestly... its a pretty damn good job by chiarelli... hes now added pastrnak {we know how that turns out} hes added smith/spooner/soderberg {3 guys very valued by other teams} hes kept bergeron/marchand on 2 of the best contracts in hockey {the core guys from this group} hes making moves to replace thornton/campbell/paille with some of his draft picks/trades/free agent signings... he is gambling on hamilton to work out but so were we all. it isnt his fault hamilton wanted to play on an easier team. seidenbergs injury... was that something we can blame chiarelli? we might have been able to keep boychuk if we let seidenberg go... is that possible? eriksson was called the most underrated player in the nhl when we traded for him... then he scored 30 goals here. alot of fans were very irate when we didnt give him a 6 mill deal. i was cruxified when i said lucic had to be dealt. many many fans here insisted we should sign him.

honestly how bad a job did chiarelli do for these 5 seasons and how much can he be blamed for not getting us more than 1 cup?

is this really grounds to get fired???

really... let me know... id like to see concrete examples what he did so horrible???

meanwhile he gets criticized for not being able to draft... what was he picking for drafts?

2011 dougie hamilton... seems everyone here loves that pick
alexander khoklachev... still lots of fans of this pick

2012 malcolm subban... is looking ok now
matt grzelck... obviously a player
matt benning... looks established as an nhl talent

peter cehlarik... lots of us insist this guy should play
ryan fizgerald... is he going to become a fixture on 4th line?

pastrnak/donato/heinen/bjork... do i need to say more?

2015 opps chiarelli was fired despite this very good drafting record and keeping that championship team together... not getting suckered into long term contracts that needed to get bought out {other than seidenberg due to injuries} and actually keeping a core of the team together that to this day is still together. lots of the youngens chiarelli brought along are still very important players.

anyhow... thats my look at the last 5 years of chiarelli's run... his 2 trips to the cup finals... his 1 trip to the second round... and another 7 game loss in the tim Thomas year... and then his 1 and only miss of the playoffs.

so as I said at the beginning... my challenge now goes to the haters and the complainers. if you feel there was specific mistakes made then go ahead and defend your argument

most of us will give you the seguin trade... again I say that the behind the b's footage shows it was an organizational decision. and some will definitely argue keeping Seidenberg over boychuk didn't work out {but I will argue injuries can happen to anyone... and boychuk today is signed to a horrific contract}

some are going to argue chris Kelly was overpaid... but I will come up with an example 10 deep of third line centers that never had more than 20 goals/40 points who were paid 3 mill on long term deals. sorry, but his contract was reasonable and is what it cost to keep him.

ive laid out the facts. and I am interested to see if anyone can find facts that I missed to defend their take

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
2009-2013 Draft produced

One top line forward (Seguin) and top 6 wing sometimes in Spooner (Didn't even hit this until after he was fired anyways). Seguin eventually traded and now nothing remains from that trade
One top 4 D in Dougie.

2014 Draft looks amazing

Pastrnak, Donato, Heinen, Bjork.

Unfortunately by then the damage was done. No youth to come in and help maintain success.

3/26 with them being picks, 2, 9, and 45.

That doesn't even count 07 and 08 which makes it look even worse.

3 hits in 38 picks.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Chia will always get high marks from me for 2011,2013,for changing the culture in Boston plus league wide perception(Players) when he first arrived, but he never was able to recover from the July 4th fiasco and the Boychuk trade
I'll also give him some credit in his foresight on smaller puck moving defenseman,Hunwick,Kampfer,Penner and a few others that were around for a cup of coffee,wasn't until they hit gold with Krug did it stick here,Chia was loyal to his coach and in the end that also hurt him,the league was turning into the Daytona 500 and Claude still ran it as Colonial Williamsburg

Reactions: TCB

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Drafting was Chiarelli's downfall.

Had to overpay the bottom 6 because we had no ELC's to fill holes. Also loses leverage when trying to negotiate contracts when there is no competition to take someone like DK's spot.

And the Seguin trade? WOOF

Gifted a Krejci/Bergeron replacement and he gives it up for peanuts. As if no one in the Org. could have told him how that worked with JT19

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Stop perpetuating the Tim Thomas bad teammate false narrative. That shit was drummed up by fat Haggerty to get hits on his articles and profit from an increasingly polarizing political divide in the readership. The fact that the team slumped in the final weeks of the season has nothing to do with Thomas, Obama, or the white house.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
1. Poor drafting until it was too late.
2. Overpaid depth players or had the wasted veteran flyer because he couldn't fill spots from within
3 Iginla bonuses f***ed him
4. Seguin trade was bad from the start. This isn't just "one bad trade". This is the worst trade of the decade, well maybe 2nd next to the Hall trade.
5. Chose Seidenberg over Boychuk, and that trade hurt the roster immediately and the locker room I'm sure. This hurt them short term and long term. Yes I would have kept Boychuk and I was furious at the time when they traded him. They could have extended him prior to his monster season with NYI and he would have came slightly cheaper. Check this out for laughs, my blog I made in 2014: Why the Bruins Cannot Trade Johnny Boychuk. It's great to look back on, haven't posted since then but I thought I was pretty money. Whole thing lasted 2 posts till i realized no one cares! :laugh:

All these you listed, is that not enough to be critical?

2011-2013 were great, can't complain about the runs. It all started falling apart after the Iginla project. Chiarelli had the ingredients for a decade long contender but f***ed some things up leading to 3 bridge years to where we are today. What we got from him was great, but it could have been better. It's not all hindsight, most of this we were screaming about during the whole thing.

Reactions: Strafer

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Stop perpetuating the Tim Thomas bad teammate false narrative. That **** was drummed up by fat Haggerty to get hits on his articles and profit from an increasingly polarizing political divide in the readership. The fact that the team slumped in the final weeks of the season has nothing to do with Thomas, Obama, or the white house.

Thank you. The thing that cost them that season was Nathan Horton's concussion (and the subsequent failure to replace him). I'm not sure of the exact dates but I'm pretty sure he suffered the concussion against Philly within a day or two of the White House visit.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
So you give credit to Chiarelli for trades (Recchi Horton etc) yet fault “upper management” for the Seguin trade.

You also place tons of blame at the feet of Tim Thomas. Him skipping the White House was the reason the team sunk? It’s risky signing a player to a 35+ contract and it ended up biting Chiarelli in his rear.

The Iginla overage forced him to make trades for cap space.

Sorry but Kelly was overpaid. He was serviceable, but I’d love to know what % of the cap his $3m was back then, and what the equivalent is today.

Because the Islanders paid Boychuk 6m per we are to assume that’s what it would’ve cost the Bruins if they’d resigned him that summer before he became a UFA? So I guess you feel Marchand would’ve also gotten only 6m on open market?

You use Taylor Hall being traded for “a 2nd pair dman” as a crutch for Seguins return, yet you fail to mention that CHIARELLI is the GM who traded Hall for that “2nd pair dman”!! And Seth Jones was a top-3 pick in the draft and was already a top pair dman at the time of the Johansen trade. I’d argue he had similar or more value at that time than McAvoy does now.

Chiarelli will always be looked upon kindly as GM of the Bruins. The team delivered a Cup. But in my honest opinion that team had more potential.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It's just too much to read lmfao..... I'm in the camp of saying he had his great moments early on as a GM, helped build a winner, and got "smart and cocky" towards the end and f***ed us over with terrible trades, and overpaying of bottom roster players before getting canned.

One thing that stood out. You say that Chiarelli made the Seguin trade, but are quick to say that he probably had upper management in his ear. One... does that mean he shouldn't have sought a better package from Dallas or another team? Two... (and this is tying into the above that it's not always a one-man-show) Why is Chiarelli now being credited with doing well in the draft, when drafting is probably one of the biggest 'team effort' type situations a team does?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
So you give credit to Chiarelli for trades (Recchi Horton etc) yet fault “upper management” for the Seguin trade.

You also place tons of blame at the feet of Tim Thomas. Him skipping the White House was the reason the team sunk? It’s risky signing a player to a 35+ contract and it ended up biting Chiarelli in his rear.

The Iginla overage forced him to make trades for cap space.

Sorry but Kelly was overpaid. He was serviceable, but I’d love to know what % of the cap his $3m was back then, and what the equivalent is today.

Because the Islanders paid Boychuk 6m per we are to assume that’s what it would’ve cost the Bruins if they’d resigned him that summer before he became a UFA? So I guess you feel Marchand would’ve also gotten only 6m on open market?

You use Taylor Hall being traded for “a 2nd pair dman” as a crutch for Seguins return, yet you fail to mention that CHIARELLI is the GM who traded Hall for that “2nd pair dman”!! And Seth Jones was a top-3 pick in the draft and was already a top pair dman at the time of the Johansen trade. I’d argue he had similar or more value at that time than McAvoy does now.

Chiarelli will always be looked upon kindly as GM of the Bruins. The team delivered a Cup. But in my honest opinion that team had more potential.

I did some really quick math on Kelly and I could be wrong...

The lockout in 2012 kind of throws things off, but in 2013-14 he was taking up 4.7% of the cap. The equivalent today would be $3,525,000

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
I seem to remember most here being pretty happy with the Seguin trade at the time?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
His drafting wasn’t good.

He’s now traded:
Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle

for

Loui Eriksson
Ryan Strome
Adam Larsson
and a bunch of plugs.

He’s quickly becoming one of the worst GM’s in the league. Not quite Mike Milbury territory but close

couple of quarrels.

1. Loui Eriksson was a good get. a 30 goal, 70 pt 2 way winger. You can't fault Chiarelli for not predicting Loui would get his brain scrambled by a brutal cheap elbow his 1st season here.

his only healthy season here, he went for 30-33-63. good for 2nd on the team in goals and points

2. Reilly Smith is hardly a "plug"

3. getting rid of Eberle was the right move. He is a soft, 1 dimensional, and was a brutal flop in the playoffs for them...going for zero goals and only 2 points in 13 games.

his biggest downfall here was drafting. He never had the next wave to keep it going so had to overpay the vets to hang on.

If he were in say Tampa, where he would be allowed to sell of assets, suck for a few years and reload it would've been better for him. But you cant do that here.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I seem to remember most here being pretty happy with the Seguin trade at the time?

I feel like I remember it being pretty split. I definitely remember some of the regulars around here not liking it right off the bat. I wasn't happy he was traded but I liked the return. I thought Loui would fit perfectly with Marchand and Bergeron and easily replace the production Seguin had provided to that point

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His drafting wasn’t good.

He’s now traded:
Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle

for

Loui Eriksson
Ryan Strome
Adam Larsson
and a bunch of plugs.

He’s quickly becoming one of the worst GM’s in the league. Not quite Mike Milbury territory but close

Not trying to defend the trade, but under "a bunch of plugs" is probably the best player of the entire bunch in Reilly Smith.

Reactions: EON and Oates2Neely

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I was not upset with dealing Seguin (given what I had heard about his off ice shenanigans), but always thought the return should have been better.

I think our perception of the return is worse than it was because of the Loui concussions and getting only one good year before he left. Also because of the way Smith went out the door. If the B’s had the 17/18 Smith and the last year of Loui still on the team, it wouldn’t look nearly as bad.

That said, they still should have gotten more for a kid that was the 2nd pick in the draft and had played very well (except for the playoffs that year).

As far as Chia goes, you can break his tenure into two parts, Pre-Cup and Post Cup. Pre-Cup he was very good and put the pieces in place to win a championship. Post, he was not very good. Fell in love with his roster, drafted poorly, and made some questionable deals.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
1. Poor drafting until it was too late.
2. Overpaid depth players or had the wasted veteran flyer because he couldn't fill spots from within
3 Iginla bonuses ****ed him
4. Seguin trade was bad from the start. This isn't just "one bad trade". This is the worst trade of the decade, well maybe 2nd next to the Hall trade.
5. Chose Seidenberg over Boychuk, and that trade hurt the roster immediately and the locker room I'm sure. This hurt them short term and long term. Yes I would have kept Boychuk and I was furious at the time when they traded him. They could have extended him prior to his monster season with NYI and he would have came slightly cheaper. Check this out for laughs, my blog I made in 2014: Why the Bruins Cannot Trade Johnny Boychuk. It's great to look back on, haven't posted since then but I thought I was pretty money. Whole thing lasted 2 posts till i realized no one cares! :laugh:

All these you listed, is that not enough to be critical?

2011-2013 were great, can't complain about the runs. It all started falling apart after the Iginla project. Chiarelli had the ingredients for a decade long contender but ****ed some things up leading to 3 bridge years to where we are today. What we got from him was great, but it could have been better. It's not all hindsight, most of this we were screaming about during the whole thing.

1. True, true and true! IMHO, it has been Chia's main downfall. It directly led to point 2 and 5.
2. True again.
3. That was a gamble. Chia went all-in 2013-2014, pushing back problems to the future. They ran into a Habs team that could just do no wrong against the Bs. I don't fault him that much on this one.
4. Obviously not wrong here, and I agree with AOR point of view here.
5. Not a trade I liked much at the time (who did anyway! :laugh:), but I don't think having Boychuck on the 2014-2015 roster solves the Bs problems or makes the Bs a cup contender that year. The damage was already done. Chia went all-in the previous season, and there was a price to be paid.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I was not upset with dealing Seguin (given what I had heard about his off ice shenanigans), but always thought the return should have been better.

I think our perception of the return is worse than it was because of the Loui concussions and getting only one good year before he left. Also because of the way Smith went out the door. If the B’s had the 17/18 Smith and the last year of Loui still on the team, it wouldn’t look nearly as bad.

That said, they still should have gotten more for a kid that was the 2nd pick in the draft and had played very well (except for the playoffs that year).

As far as Chia goes, you can break his tenure into two parts, Pre-Cup and Post Cup. Pre-Cup he was very good and put the pieces in place to win a championship. Post, he was not very good. Fell in love with his roster, drafted poorly, and made some questionable deals.

Good take on Seguin's trade. :thumbu:

Didn't look anything up, but it seems to me that Chia Pre-Cup drafting was pretty abysmal, and went a bit better after the Cup year.
Having no kids to take over spots on the cheap, mainly on the 3rd or 4th lines, led him to overpay for veterans or "fall in love with his roster" in his Post-Cup years.
But who knows, even with good drafts from 2007-2010 (Seguin aside) maybe he would still have overpaid.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Good read Alberta_OReilly_Fan.

Chia on his record of service at Boston has to get an A overall because his teams went to two cups and won one.

What tarnishes his record and frankly why he is no longer here are the facts that he handed out NMCs like candy, traded a super star 1C for literally nothing, and was unwilling to move on from Clode. After his major moves the Bruins have not been close to promised land again. To me, that says a great deal.

You have to give GMs like Yzerman a ton of credit for turning Drouin into Sergachev. They get their guy and they dont over pay. However, Stevie Y is still without a cup as GM.

Chia is proving to be a GM that gets fleeced and that is not a good rep. You can tell from the media he wants to make more moves in EDM but I think the team is scared there are more MVPs headed out of town.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Chia on his record of service at Boston has to get an A overall because his teams went to two cups and won one.

What tarnishes his record and frankly why he is no longer here are the facts that he handed out NMCs like candy, traded a super star 1C for literally nothing, and was unwilling to move on from Clode. After his major moves the Bruins have not been close to promised land again. To me, that says a great deal.

You have to give GMs like Yzerman a ton of credit for turning Drouin into Sergachev. They get their guy and they dont over pay. However, Stevie Y is still without a cup as GM.

Chia is proving to be a GM that gets fleeced and that is not a good rep. You can tell from the media he wants to make more moves in EDM but I think the team is scared there are more MVPs headed out of town.

At what point was Chiarelli suppose to move on from Julien? Until their final season together, they came off a run of a cup, a finals appearance, and a President's trophy in 3 of the previous 4 seasons.

Clearly Chiarelli getting fired wasn't a "you go or Julien goes" deal, as Sweeney kept Julien, and if it had been, I'm sure Chia fires Julien tout de suite. He never even got the chance to fire Julien even if he wanted to.

Julien being around as long as he was is on Sweeney, has nothing to do with Chiarelli.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

can this myth die already.

Seguin was traded for a 30 goal, 70pt 2 way wing with a 4.25 cap hit and a promising prospect who has since turned into a valuable 1st line wing.

Eriksson got a Bergeron/Savard level dirty hit concussion his 1st season here. you cant predict that and using hindsight on it is not fair.

Same with Reilly Smith getting scape goated and dumped to Florida

you can certainly argue the return should've been more, but lets stop with the "they got nothing in return" crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad