sorry wall of text... the real study of chiarelli's last 5 years in boston

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i'm definitely having a hard time grasping these very very simple concepts so maybe you can help me out...

why weren't Chia & Claude fired after the 2010 collapse? Surely that should have been reason enough for Neely if he'd already had the agenda of getting rid of them. And why did they keep Claude for another year after firing Chia?

I'm kind of slow so please don't use too many big words in your reply. (I know you're a man of few words so you'll be gentle I'm sure)

in organizations as complex as a professional hockey team... theres many layers of power structure. and more and more the actual job descriptions have been blurring

boston is undergoing a change in ownership as the seinor Jacobs moves away from day to day operations and the younger son steps up

rumors persist that mr sinden still offers advice on matters of important

anyhow... im already losing you im sure. continue your simplified view of things if it keeps you warm at night.

and to the rest of my fans here... sorry this conversation started to bore me seveal years ago. if you also wish to remain ignorant on this matter im sure its fine with you based on what ive seen in the past on other matters of similar importance

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
in organizations as complex as a professional hockey team... theres many layers of power structure. and more and more the actual job descriptions have been blurring

boston is undergoing a change in ownership as the seinor Jacobs moves away from day to day operations and the younger son steps up

rumors persist that mr sinden still offers advice on matters of important

anyhow... im already losing you im sure. continue your simplified view of things if it keeps you warm at night.

and to the rest of my fans here... sorry this conversation started to bore me seveal years ago. if you also wish to remain ignorant on this matter im sure its fine with you based on what ive seen in the past on other matters of similar importance
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
that he wanted to do it... yes... that he needed the right political climate... yes

really...

I am shocked I need to explain this very very simple concepts to some of you I used to have more respect for

Beep...beep...beep.

The sound of the AOF Delivery/Prediction Truck backing up.

Move goalposts...check.

Rephrase...check.

Feign indignation...check.

:laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'll make a bold prediction: members of the current roster will retire. Maybe not this year, but definitely some time in the future, it will happen. So shower me with praise for being so far ahead of the curve than you small minded beings.
is that bold?

maybe mine was too then... holy crap, bold doesn't mean what it did when I was a kid

but then again I walked through 8 feet deep snow to get to school too

you kids... consider me schooled. yes my original statement was bold

jeeze

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
is that bold?

maybe mine was too then... holy crap, bold doesn't mean what it did when I was a kid

but then again I walked through 8 feet deep snow to get to school too

you kids... consider me schooled. yes my original statement was bold

jeeze

You made a nonsensical bs statement and then backtracked when people called you on it. Just accept it and move along. Much easier than fighting it.

Reactions: Pia8988

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Can you elaborate or is this hurt feelings

It doesn't surprise me at all that you think your posting on this board is meaningful enough to hurt one's feelings.

Peter Chiarelli earned the respect he did from the 2011 Stanley Cup run. He made a series of very "smart" moves and re-enforced a strong team identity (I don't believe this current Bruins teams has yet accomplished that).

From 2013 to the end of his tenure, his stubbornness and unwillingness to adjust (just like Claude) to how the game was developing, and what teams were winning, is what failed him. The Seguin trade was what I consider an "anti-talent" trade. Two-way players are fantastic, but Chiarelli clearly identified a player he wanted (Loui) and traded a guy that "didn't fit" with the Bruins'/his philosophy at the lowest possible value. The conversation, and particularly his "negotiation" tactics for trading away a player of Seguin's stature which was documented on the Behind the B...was embarrassing to me as a fan. It was anything but professional. And yes, along with some of his other moves, it led me to question his competency as a general manager. Also remember (of course no one talks about this), Chiarelli was using signing Nathan Horton to a long term contract (he wanted to move on) as a reason for trading Seguin. He avoided another disaster simply because he got lucky Nate wanted to go to a smaller market.

Many of Chiarelli's proponents want to take away blame for the draft, but the head of any department takes both the good and bad in any industry. They have the final say, period. Poor development/drafting unquestionably led to cap issues (which ultimately led to Johnny Boychuk being traded). Chris Kelly getting paid $3 million/season was never smart. Ever. Neither was Claude and PC believing that he could be "used up and down the lineup".

The amount of time he gave to Jordan Caron was another embarrassing experiment. Or the fact that he chose him when in the draft when he did (because he was big of course...). My only solace from that entire thing was the reaction of Avalanche fans when they saw him on the ice for their team. No surprise that Chiarelli filled the role with an even older, washed up fringe NHL'er in Max Talbot. Because there were no young players to take the role...

Are you telling me you didn't roll your eyes at the predictability of singing JAY f***ING PANDOLFO as a regular player for the Cup run?

Basically what happened is PC spent 9 years in Boston. At the beginning, he helped round out a solid, heavy team. As time went on, his and the rest of the FO's inability to draft and develop solid young players handcuffed him and the organization. In that position, the last thing any GM should have done was trade away real, potential star talent. And he did. This is the same thing he has done in Edmonton. He has handcuffed himself and is now somehow sitting with his finger up his ass saying he will only make "tweaks" to a failing lineup.

The perception that Sweeney, Neely and co. are somehow not "respected" amongst the rest of the GM community is nothing more than an HF myth and I beg you to show me any evidence that proves otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad