Confirmed with Link: Soderbergs rights traded for 2016 6th to Colorado

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I liked Soderberg but Spooner is younger and cheaper and we have to get Dougie signed.

At least there was some return and it looks like the Avs could use a solid #3/#2 in a pinch center.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
A no-brainer move. Like others, glad we got at least something in return. I hope he is successful in Colorado.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Sure it's only a 6th round pick, but, assuming that Boston's scouting has improved, maybe the team will find a gem like Palat, Hornqvist or Pavelski. Many other steals have been had in the late rounds.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
as long as the Avs know they're getting a guy who will be a matchup nightmare on line 3 and a really good 2nd unit PP guy then they'll be happy with him. But if they think he's a 2nd line C they will be mistaken.

Yes its about expectations and also cap management. Having an incinconsistent rd liner on a great contract who could move up and might score 25 in a good year is a wonderful thing we all enjoyed. But expecting a guy to play second line and paying him second line money will open the door to potential disappointment if inconsistent play continues.

Soderberg has untapped room to grow imho. I just dont believe he will ever have the type of personality to be a winner. He reminds me a bit of a swedish joe thornton. I think he puts personal comfort ahead of bleeding his guts out on the ice.

Id be the same... but for professional hockey teams they win more with patrice bergeron and johnaton towes and anze kopitar than they win with joe thornton and jason spezza and tyler seguin

The willingness to sacrafice and get dirty will matter when playoffs roll around

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
You loved Yeti as a Bruin, now he suddenly is crap?

The entire Boston Bruins was underachieving but perhaps you blame him for the team collapsing?

I never knew how he was able to put up the number of points he had. He is was too erratic for me. He also took too long coming over I see why now.

From what I understand he says he is a top 6 player and won't be happy on the 3rd line. Maybe the Bruins should play Bergeron there and him on the 2nd. :naughty:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Happy we got a little return for him. Just noticed its 2016 which is unfortunate.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Sure it's only a 6th round pick, but, assuming that Boston's scouting has improved, maybe the team will find a gem like Palat, Hornqvist or Pavelski. Many other steals have been had in the late rounds.

And Hagelin. And Stone.

I'm actually sort of excited that we got a pick for Soderberg back. If the scouting team does their job, then they can find gems that will hopefully contribute in the future.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Terrible asset management. He was one of the best Bruins for long stretches of last season.

Could have received a great return for him earlier, or later.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Terrible asset management. He was one of the best Bruins for long stretches of last season.

Ok...

Hindsight is 20/20, we were in a playoff spot at the deadline so we weren't selling . And how are we fitting him under the cap to trade him next deadline?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Yeah from October until New Years. He completely disappeared after that.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
Good for Sweeney to get something for a guy we weren't keeping. I would have wept with joy if they got Patrick bordeleau but I suspect Colorado values him more than a 6th. Yes he is a 4th liner but he is a devastating body checker when healthy.

Not knocking move at all, just dreaming

Cue the fighting is dead hawks don't have a fighter....3... 2...1

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I liked Yeti a lot as the third line center. But at the same time that is why he won't be resigned.

With him asking 5mill, being in a cap crunch and krejci, Bergy and Spooner down the middle there just wasn't room or cap space for him. I like the more offensive dynamic spooner getting more time.

Also if we resigned Soderberg it would probably also mean Eriksson playing on his wing again and a another 40pt season him.

If Eriksson stays I hope it means giving him so more skilled linemates that can get him back to the 60-70 pt mark

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
You loved Yeti as a Bruin, now he suddenly is crap?

The entire Boston Bruins was underachieving but perhaps you blame him for the team collapsing?

He sucked for 4 months,that's all.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Ah yes, the classic "Blame the new GM for the fact that our old GM was too much of an idiot to trade him at the deadline while he still had a lot of value" post.

Dammit, Don, why didn't you trade him at the deadline? You should have made desperate, trying to save his own job, Peter sell.

:laugh:

It's truly amazing how oblivious some people can be.

You're right; it was great asset management by the organization. I'm just oblivious.

Sweeny didn't just fall out of the sky and into the GM role; he was there. As was Cam. They're all to blame for ending up with peanuts. Our braintrust can't draft and has gotten consistently ripped off. Other GMs make great deals and drafts and we sit there and drool. But yeah, he was just the #2; probably too busy refilling Chia's highball glass and such.

You assume Sweeny's been working the phones hard and he just worked and worked and worked and made the best deal he could near (not at) the 11th hour.

Maybe he did; maybe that was the best he could do. But maybe he didn't and maybe he could've gotten more. You don't know, so don't pretend that you do.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good job Sweeney. Pisses me off at Chia more for not getting a 1st or a second for him at TDL though.

Don't know how he will fit in at the Avs but fingers crossed it all works out for him. Bs know his weakness on the ice and will play to our advantage against them I guess!

Ill miss the Yeti he was a good Bruin for us for the short time he was here, thankyou :)

Out of curiosity, what weakness are you referring to?

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Another reason to hate Chia. Should have gotten a better pick at the deadline.

I will miss that mystical beast. :(

Brad3277

Jul 13, 2004
West Hartford

Value definitely would have been better. Hard to believe that this team ended up missing the playoffs though. Had it's challenges for sure but I thought they could at least nail down a 7 or 8 seed. And once you're in who knows what happens.

The entire Yeti story was strange from beginning to end.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal

Common guys. The Bruins were battling for a playoff spot and Krejci was injured. If Chia dealt him it would be like giving up on the season. If you make the playoffs anything is possible.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I liked Soda, but there was little chance of him coming back.

1) Spooner

2) Carl is a good, talented player, but maybe lacks that competitive spark that Sweeney wants to start cultivating in this team. If Carl played with a little more fire in his belly, this would be a much tougher decision.

3) The money saved from not re-signing him gets them closer to signing Hamilton.

Maybe Carl with thrive in Colorado. Is the best Yeti to come?

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Common guys. The Bruins were battling for a playoff spot and Krejci was injured. If Chia dealt him it would be like giving up on the season. If you make the playoffs anything is possible.

That's just it; good hockey minds discerned that last year's product was not built to go the distance and should have been selling. Instead, our braintrust gambled (again) and came up empty in a big way (again) putting us even further behind the 8 ball such that we're sitting here congratulating ourselves that we got "at least something" for Soda. This organization is a train wreck.

Put me down as "not expecting much" of a turnaround from Donny or the drafters for several years, while we watch Z decay and lose Lucic; can't wait to see what we get for him. (snicker)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad