Confirmed with Link: Soderbergs rights traded for 2016 6th to Colorado

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
If we trade ROR, Soda would probably slide in his spot centering Landy and MacK(Until he's ready to play C). Do you think Soda can center those guys?

If he does, I'll go out on a limb now and say he'll be a 70+ point guy next season and likely looked upon as a steal of a UFA signing. The term "Hindsight" will be put to use frequently and vehemently on this side of the board.

Just a guess but those two would easily be the best wingers the guy could possibly hope for. It would certainly be a fun line to watch and it will be fun to watch him get the chance he wasn't going to get in Boston. Hope he does well.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Soderberg's last 43 games 5-12-17
Post All Star game 34-3-10-13

No way a team should pay 4.75 for a player who no showed when his team needed him to produce to make the playoffs. He thrives against 3rd pair D combos and weak checking centers, let's see how he does against top pairs and better checking forwards, when he was called on here to do it he failed.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
No one better be boo-hooing about this.

change is good people. You want the current dynamic to move.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
If he does, I'll go out on a limb now and say he'll be a 70+ point guy next season and likely looked upon as a steal of a UFA signing. The term "Hindsight" will be put to use frequently and vehemently on this side of the board.

Just a guess but those two would easily be the best wingers the guy could possibly hope for. It would certainly be a fun line to watch and it will be fun to watch him get the chance he wasn't going to get in Boston. Hope he does well.
In hindsight Chiarelli should have traded him at the deadline.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Just a guess but those two would easily be the best wingers the guy could possibly hope for.

Then you are in the camp that his 40 game 18 point drought was purely rib and Chris Kelly related,and no way related to his tougher matchups.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I am wondering if the Bruins trying to get anything in return for him had more to do with them knowing the money he was going to command and that they couldn't afford him rather than them simply wanting to move on from the player because they weren't a fan of his game. That is the conclusion I am drawing considering the contract he just got.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
In hindsight Chiarelli should have traded him at the deadline.

Hindsight? That seemed to be the consensus with realistic fans this past season. We weren't going anywhere, better to get something at the deadline than a 6th round pick.

That's a whole lot of money for a guy that had a huge decline when Krejci went out. Could end up being a massively overpaid 3rd line center.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
Then you are in the camp that his 40 game 18 point drought was purely rib and Chris Kelly related,and no way related to his tougher matchups.

I'm in the camp that thinks we have yet to see the best from Carl Soderberg. Pairing him with Landeskog and MacKinnon (they would the two best linemates he's had imo) and increasing his ice time/responsibility will (I think) be a positive for him. All players have highs and lows in a season including Boston's top players. If you performed the same exercise on Krejci at different points throughout his career you would find he also had similar curves in production.

Drop off in production aside, Soderberg put up 44 points in 82 games rotating between 2nd and 3rd line responsibilities. I can see him doing far better if given a chance and used consistently throughout a season with far better linemates.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I guess I will have to say this a million times but if Peter planned on keeping Soderberg why is it his fault he didn't trade him. I really believe he planned on resigning him. I know it is a really really tricky situation but there are some of us who believe we shouldve kept him. I believe we could've got him for a touch less than he signed for. I am guessing Spooner has a lot more trade value now than last summer and I would trade him for cheap young guys---no idea who but Connolly types ---upside low salary. I am just not as sold on Spooner as this board or obviously Don. I don't think he will ever be a good two way center like the three we have. After trading Spooner we would still have cap issues but a couple more trades and we would be ok.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Soderberg's last 43 games 5-12-17
Post All Star game 34-3-10-13

No way a team should pay 4.75 for a player who no showed when his team needed him to produce to make the playoffs. He thrives against 3rd pair D combos and weak checking centers, let's see how he does against top pairs and better checking forwards, when he was called on here to do it he failed.

Colorado will regret this in time.....horrible move imo but glad for Soderberg

I would never have done it

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I'm in the camp that thinks we have yet to see the best from Carl Soderberg. Pairing him with Landeskog and MacKinnon (they would the two best linemates he's had imo) and increasing his ice time/responsibility will (I think) be a positive for him. All players have highs and lows in a season including Boston's top players. If you performed the same exercise on Krejci at different points throughout his career you would find he also had similar curves in production.

Drop off in production aside, Soderberg put up 44 points in 82 games rotating between 2nd and 3rd line responsibilities. I can see him doing far better if given a chance and used consistently throughout a season with far better linemates.

I agree with this and people forget for a good portion of last year he was one of our best players. Early in the year when marchy hadn't hit his stride, Lucic was struggling DK was hurt and even Loui wasn't at his best , Carl was with out a doubt near the top of the team.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There is ZERO way that Chiarelli should have traded Soderberg at deadline. NONE.

The Bruins needed to make playoffs not subtract. I bash Chiarelli but he was trying to save his job and self preservation is the most basic human behavior.

This is just a bad, bad, bad, bad signing

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I guess I will have to say this a million times but if Peter planned on keeping Soderberg why is it his fault he didn't trade him. I really believe he planned on resigning him. I know it is a really really tricky situation but there are some of us who believe we shouldve kept him. I believe we could've got him for a touch less than he signed for. I am guessing Spooner has a lot more trade value now than last summer and I would trade him for cheap young guys---no idea who but Connolly types ---upside low salary. I am just not as sold on Spooner as this board or obviously Don. I don't think he will ever be a good two way center like the three we have. After trading Spooner we would still have cap issues but a couple more trades and we would be ok.

What did Chiarelli ever do to shed some cap space to re-sign Sodeberg or anyone else for that matter ?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
What did Chiarelli ever do to shed some cap space to re-sign Sodeberg or anyone else for that matter ?

I obviously didn't like the move but do you think Boychuk was a hockey trade. If he didn't plan on signing Soderberg he would've been gone early last season. Iginla was only here a year but Peter did try to resign him. Horton he tried beyond reason to get back so who does he just let walk.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Seguin, Boychuk. Be grateful he didn't try to make space for Soderberg otherwise he would have dealt Krecji for 2 third liners and 2 minor leaguers

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I obviously didn't like the move but do you think Boychuk was a hockey trade. If he didn't plan on signing Soderberg he would've been gone early last season. Iginla was only here a year but Peter did try to resign him. Horton he tried beyond reason to get back so who does he just let walk.

Boychuk was certainly traded to be cap-compliant despite the lies fed to the media by Chiarelli. He tried re-signing Iginla when he didn't have any cap space. He's the guy who goes shopping with a blown credit card limit.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
There is ZERO way that Chiarelli should have traded Soderberg at deadline. NONE.

The Bruins needed to make playoffs not subtract. I bash Chiarelli but he was trying to save his job and self preservation is the most basic human behavior.

This is just a bad, bad, bad, bad signing

my problem with how they handled the deadline (and with Chia in general) is that it seemed like all season they couldn't figure out where this team stood. Trading Boychuk early made it seem like they saw this as a transition year, but then hanging on to Soderberg to try and make the playoffs made it seem like they thought they had a chance.

I just wish he'd commited one way or the other. Either keep both or trade both. Either way we'd have been better off today. Keep both and we probably squeak into the playoffs but lose both guys for next to nothing. Trade both and we get a much better net return. Chiarelli's indecision/lack of vision is what did him in IMO.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I'm pretty sure Soderberg was hurt in the second half of last year. He couldn't shoot the puck for the life of him, there was speculation it was a wrist injury. I hope it was true because he really did tail off.

If he is playing in the top 6 with talented players I think he will have some success in COL. I see why they did this especially if they are shipping out ROR. If anything he will thrive with those young guns and not have to be the focal point on their shifts. He definitely struggled against better competition when he was up in our top 6 so we'll have to see. But COL has some damn talented wingers to take some attention off the center.

They also don't have a deadzone winger in Kelly where offense goes to die, so that pretty much counts for atleast 10 more pts a year!

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hindsight? That seemed to be the consensus with realistic fans this past season. We weren't going anywhere, better to get something at the deadline than a 6th round pick.

That's a whole lot of money for a guy that had a huge decline when Krejci went out. Could end up being a massively overpaid 3rd line center.
Just a play on words with rolling stoner's post. ;)

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yikes some people on here must think theres a slew of good UFA centers if they think this is overpayment.

This guy is a good player his contract is appropriately in the middle of Krejci and Reilly Smith if they are worth 7.2 adn 3.5 each Carl making a tick under 5 on the open market with awful UFAs is about right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad