Confirmed with Link: Soderbergs rights traded for 2016 6th to Colorado

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sweeney should have gotten a higher pick for him though. Donny gets a D on this deal for not nabbing a 4th or even future 3rd.

Given his history of being loyal he was always going to sign a contract with whoever traded for him asssuming it was close to his asking price.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Nothing against Yeti....Im happy for him.....but thats a **** load of money for what he does.

For me the moneys high I agree but the term is just insane. Five years. Yeesh. Like Soda but that's gonna be an albatross of a contract some day.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Smart move by Don to atleast get something for a player he publicly said he was not signing. A 6th isn't much, but it's something that can be thrown into a potential deal as a sweetener. Chiarelli never did that.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Soderberg's last 43 games 5-12-17
Post All Star game 34-3-10-13

No way a team should pay 4.75 for a player who no showed when his team needed him to produce to make the playoffs. He thrives against 3rd pair D combos and weak checking centers, let's see how he does against top pairs and better checking forwards, when he was called on here to do it he failed.

Entire Boston Bruins were underachieving this period of time, at least when counting goals, you blame Yeti for Bruins failure last season?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Entire Boston Bruins were underachieving this period of time, at least when counting goals, you blame Yeti for Bruins failure last season?

No offense, but no one has blamed him for the Bruins failures. Some people have said he struggled the second half of the season. Mostly just one guy trying to cover for a linemate of his.

But no, no one is blaming Yeti for last season's failures. That guy works in Edmonton now.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Sweeney should have gotten a higher pick for him though. Donny gets a D on this deal for not nabbing a 4th or even future 3rd.

Given his history of being loyal he was always going to sign a contract with whoever traded for him asssuming it was close to his asking price.

Perhaps, but every team knew he had no choice, very easy to get what you want when he'll be free to grab either way and it's possible Colorado knew carl wanted to go there

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yikes some people on here must think theres a slew of good UFA centers if they think this is overpayment.

This guy is a good player his contract is appropriately in the middle of Krejci and Reilly Smith if they are worth 7.2 adn 3.5 each Carl making a tick under 5 on the open market with awful UFAs is about right.

I thinks its a good million to much but that's me. With a salary cap I would not do it. I been on an island on HF the last couple years with my views I expect nothing to change

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I thinks its a good million to much but that's me. With a salary cap I would not do it. I been on an island on HF the last couple years with my views I expect nothing to change

Colorado signed Soderberg to a reported 5–year, $23.75 million contract on Friday morning, pulling one of the top forwards available off the board in an already thin free agent class.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

No but when he was asked to step up and become the number two center his production dropped. Project those number over a full season and he is under 10 goals and 35 points, is that a 5 million dollar player?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
No but when he was asked to step up and become the number two center his production dropped. Project those number over a full season and he is under 10 goals and 35 points, is that a 5 million dollar player?

My point is that you could do this math with most of the Bruins players looking at this period of time.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Vermette goes for a 1st+prospect and all Sweeney is able to get for the Yeti is a 6th next year?

Well done Donny...

If you want to compare Vermette's return to Soderberg's return I'm afraid your calling out the wrong GM.

What do you think Vermette would have returned yesterday?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

a 4th or a 3rd.............. for his rights?

any GM making that trade would deserve the 'D' and to get fired......

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
There is ZERO way that Chiarelli should have traded Soderberg at deadline. NONE.

The Bruins needed to make playoffs not subtract. I bash Chiarelli but he was trying to save his job and self preservation is the most basic human behavior.

This is just a bad, bad, bad, bad signing

i'll disagree, there's every way he should have traded him, if it was Neely and Charlie telling him not to, then they need to be scrutinized instead.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

What makes you so sure Colorado was willing to give up $23.75M AND a 4th for Soderberg?

Without any inside information what we could, should, or would have got is just opinion.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Yotes wouldn't have traded Vermette if they were in the same spot as the Bruins in the standings.

Soda and Vermette, two totally different situations and they both went down the same way the other 29 teams would have done it.

Congrats to Soda on his new contract. Guy was a beast at times and I can see him still doing better. But even as he is now, he's a good hard working player that can produce some numbers.

We were spoiled with this guy, at his prior contract.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
i'll disagree, there's every way he should have traded him, if it was Neely and Charlie telling him not to, then they need to be scrutinized instead.

I don't see it that way at all but I respect your opinion

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado signed Soderberg to a reported 5–year, $23.75 million contract on Friday morning, pulling one of the top forwards available off the board in an already thin free agent class.

This place complains about Chris Kelly contract like its the national debt. I guess it's just me not getting it again but I think this contract for Soda is absurd for a guy who I thought struggled for large stretches.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Would you trade the Rangers a 3rd or 4th round pick for 5 days of negotiating rights to Marty St. Louis, when there's no guarantee that he even picks up the phone to talk to you?

Sweeney got SOMETHING for Soderberg's rights and that's all I care about.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I don't see it that way at all but I respect your opinion

my thought comes from the idea that the GM should be looking at long term as well as short term.

short term, sure, try to squeak into the playoffs.

long term, the team was a mess, cap issues, and a lack of prospects and a deep draft coming up.

I get why they didn't do it, but the end result in this case I think was fairly predictable, which is why I think they should have.

Last edited:

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
my thought comes from the GM should be looking at long term as well as short term.

short term, sure, try to squeak into the playoffs.

long term, the team was a mess, cap issues, and a lack of prospects and a deep draft coming up.

I get why they didn't do it, but the end result in this case I think was fairly predictable, which is why I think they should have.

If it were this season (i.e. coming off not making playoffs in previous season) perhaps you could make a case.

However, telling your fans and your players that "we quit", after winning Cup, making it to Finals, and winning President's Trophy in recent times is IMO never going to happen.

Did I think we were going to contend? No.
Do I wish we sold? Obviously, yes.

As a GM and Management (this sort of decision would have to be a group agreement) would I be willing to go tell everyone "we quit, we're not good enough, we have no chance"? No. IMO anyone who would do that is going to get fired and isn't going to get a new job anytime soon either.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I am one of Carl's biggest backers and even I think that contract is ridiculous. They obviously see him in a Top 6 role of some sort because there is no way you give that kind of $$$ to a 3rd line C.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This place complains about Chris Kelly contract like its the national debt. I guess it's just me not getting it again but I think this contract for Soda is absurd for a guy who I thought struggled for large stretches.

It is absurd.

Almost a 5 million cap hit for the next half decade.

If this is any indication how free agency is going this year Lucic at 7 million will look like a bargain come July 5 or 6th.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
If it were this season (i.e. coming off not making playoffs in previous season) perhaps you could make a case.

However, telling your fans and your players that "we quit", after winning Cup, making it to Finals, and winning President's Trophy in recent times is IMO never going to happen.

Did I think we were going to contend? No.
Do I wish we sold? Obviously, yes.

As a GM and Management (this sort of decision would have to be a group agreement) would I be willing to go tell everyone "we quit, we're not good enough, we have no chance"? No. IMO anyone who would do that is going to get fired and isn't going to get a new job anytime soon either.

your a bubble playoff team on the outside looking in, limited prospect pool, major cap crunch coming up, andyou started the season off by trading one of your top defensemen for draft picks because if cap reasons....... the teams play and record is telling everyone that they 'aren't good' enough.

to go to the other extreme from your post, wasn't there a report or two about Neely vetoing a trade a trade or two that would have sacrificed prospects and picks to improve the team? if everything you said is what management felt, why did they not do that?

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury

Not only that, LeBrun is saying the first two years are a full NTC, with the following years having a limited NTC. It's starting to become apparent that Soderberg knew fully well he was going to cash in this summer. Can't blame him for that, but I'm glad the Bruins are not paying for that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->