Confirmed with Link: Sheary and Hunwick to Buffalo for a conditional 4th round pick (2019)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
To paraphrase Cosimo Kramer: "JR, you magnificent bastard!" :)

JR did very well here to clear $5.25 million and get a draft pick back. Sheary alone had more value, but Hunwick's negative value forced us to do this. JR does not like having dead cap space, which is primordial for a team that will always be up against the cap during this era.

NOW, let's spend this money wisely shall we. In other words, shut the bleep up Jason Mackey.

Reactions: td_ice

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Does anyone not know where we are at?

Right now with big rig on QO, and I am estimating, $8.025 in cap space...This depends on what Rig was offered.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA

Thanks for this Sheary. All the best to you in Buffalo.

Thankfully JR gets rid of Hunwick. Such a poor signing. Very excited to see what they are going to do with the extra cap space. Yet, I'm a little worried about the JJ/Kunitz talk. Would love to see him make a big splash with Skinner. It's going to be a very interesting week ahead.

Reactions: Rudy Russo and BHD

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@pixiesfanyo - When they signed Hunwick, the tools were:
- Could skate
- Could eat minutes
- Could support a bottom pairing or mid pairing

Obviously it didn't work out, but no GM is perfect. He thought those tools would match up well with what we had. I don't think he's an idiot for thinking that. A lot of gambling is done when signing a player. But the thing he controls is what happens if it doesn't work out. And he took care of that. So while you can be frustrated from an armchair GM standpoint, he fixed the issue.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Just want to reiterate that losing Sheary is actually losing something and people who claim he's worthless have no clue. Little dude can flat out score goals. I understand he struggled in the postseason. I just hope it's a decent hockey deal or something is happening.

But I cannot stand when Pens fans say Sheary is nothing.

This.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
- Could skate
- Could eat minutes

Obviously it didn't work out, but no GM is perfect. He thought those tools would match up well with what we had. I don't think he's an idiot for thinking that. A lot of gambling is done when signing a player. But the thing he controls is what happens if it doesn't work out. And he took care of that. So while you can be frustrated from an armchair GM standpoint, he fixed the issue.

This is bang on.

Reactions: td_ice and ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
- Could skate
- Could eat minutes

Sorry, Hunwick had a couple good weeks in the playoffs and our management signed him to a three years because of it. That is atrocious and a bad signing from the day of which I said.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Sorry, Hunwick had a couple good weeks in the playoffs and our management signed him to a three years because of it. That is atrocious and a bad signing from the day of which I said.
Yep. Anyone who had seen him play before knew it was an awful signing. Inexcusable as soon as Hunwick put pen to paper.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

That's not how life works, Pixies. Even as an armchair GM - you wouldn't have signed Hunwick but would have traded Jake for a waaaay lesser player in Bennett. So when a GM actually has to put pen to paper, it's different. His less risky mess ups were far far far less impactful to the Pens than some of our ridiculous things we would have done around here.

Mistakes are going to happen to every single team. Every single team. We can't hold JR to a higher level of perfection. That's ridiculous.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
- Could skate
- Could eat minutes

Hunwick was signed because he shadowed Ovechkin well for two weeks.

Not since TML signing Jeff Finger when they thought they were getting Kurt Sauer has there been a less-researched signing. The Hunwick the Penguins saw last year is the Hunwick he's been his entire career.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's not how life works, Pixies. Even as an armchair GM - you wouldn't have signed Hunwick but would have traded Jake for a waaaay lesser player in Bennett. So when a GM actually has to put pen to paper, it's different. His less risky mess ups were far far far less impactful to the Pens than some of our ridiculous things we would have done around here.

Mistakes are going to happen to every single team. Every single team. We can't hold JR to a higher level of perfection. That's ridiculous.

If I was getting paid millions of dollars to make decisions for a franchise, I’d hope I knew enough about Sam Bennett to hate that I even suggested that.

Reactions: ColePens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad