Confirmed with Link: Sheary and Hunwick to Buffalo for a conditional 4th round pick (2019)

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I honestly though they'd get more for Sheary.

It's obvious Hunwick was a throw-in piece. Just to relieve the Penguins of some cap room. Buffalo can hang onto Hunwick or buy his contract out, much like what Colorado did with Orpik. I honestly thought they'd be able to get at least a 2nd round pick for Sheary. I guess I'm fine with it. No harm, no foul.

I'm fine with signing Johnson by the way, it's definitely a Crosby lobbied move. I'd think he'd fit in with Schultz well. It's all rumors at this point, but I could definitely see a 4 year, $16M deal happening. I don't think Johnson is getting over $5M like people expect. His past two seasons have been pretty brutal. I also highly doubt someone who's coming off two poor seasons and is in bankruptcy to have much of a bargaining chip.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm open to Kunitz coming back but only in a lower bottom-six role and on a cheap 1 year/$1M deal. I think a fourth line of Kunitz, Sheahan and Aston-Reese could be good, albeit slow. I'd personally prefer the Penguins just re-sign Blueger and put him in that fourth line role, but I'd definitely be open to Kunitz coming back given he stays in a minor role for the duration of the season not regarding injuries.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I really haven't watched JJ to know where his game is at. But we definitely need D help, more so then Offense. With Sheary being gone if Rust is switching to LW helps clear up things some for Sprong. We have 10M in cap space now not sure what after Big Rig is taken care of, let's free something else up and go get E. Karlsson ;)

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR can't pay that money for a D man scratched in Columbus. Now if he wants a deal, let the market place dictate it and see if that is a price you can live with. No to Kunitz he just kills you in speed and hustle. He really dog it at times his last year. LW with size and scoring and D amn who brings that grit.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
We removed two players that don't have much of a role on this team moving forward, freeing up over 5m in cap space, and got a pick back. Thats wonderful.

JMFJ is fine for me as a 6/7, but he wont break the bank. Neither would Kunitz. We've got room to do something bigger.

Reactions: SirBrad

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If the Pens use some of that newfound cap space on Kunitz, they might as well just go full idiot mode and re-sign Glass, Scuderi, and Lovejoy while they're at it.

Cut friggin' ties with those guys once and for all. It's beyond stupid at this point that Kunitz is even talked about as an option.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If the Pens use some of that newfound cap space on Kunitz, they might as well just go full idiot mode and re-sign Glass, Scuderi, and Lovejoy while they're at it.

Cut friggin' ties with those guys once and for all. It's beyond stupid at this point that Kunitz is even talked about as an option.

I thought the goal was to make the team better but apparently it’s just to make Crosby happy now.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
If they're seriously targeting Kunitz, this is a horrible deal. Two steps forward, three steps back. Kunitz absolutely killed his line in the playoffs. He would have one decent shift a game and get praised for it, meanwhile the rest of the game, he was straight-up was dumpster fire. I'll give it three games before he's used in the top-6.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

I like the chances of the pick becoming a 3rd, if the Sabres are going to end up playing Sheary with Eichel.

Eichel doesn't have the patience that Sid does. What's more likely is that he'll end up asking for a trade if Sheary is stapled to his hip.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I really haven't watched JJ to know where his game is at. But we definitely need D help, more so then Offense. With Sheary being gone if Rust is switching to LW helps clear up things some for Sprong. We have 10M in cap space now not sure what after Big Rig is taken care of, let's free something else up and go get E. Karlsson ;)

He probably could've gotten himself a pretty nice contract last season but turned it down.

Then he had a pretty awful season last season. He's a good skater, physical, moves the puck well. He's definitely a top four defenseman if he can turn himself around. I think he'll probably get a 2-3 year deal worth $4.5-$5M a season. I only think he'll make less given an extra year. That's typically how it works.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He probably could've gotten himself a pretty nice contract last season but turned it down.

Then he had a pretty awful season last season. He's a good skater, physical, moves the puck well. He's definitely a top four defenseman if he can turn himself around. I think he'll probably get a 2-3 year deal worth $4.5-$5M a season. I only think he'll make less given an extra year. That's typically how it works.

I definitely would vomit if we signed him to a multi year contract at $4+ mil a year....JR should be checked for dementia if he does that...if we could sign him for 1 year at less than $2.5 mil I would still hate it but I won’t go insane....

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
Hello Everyone.

Yes. I knew he would get trade.
That’s Beautiful.

I have been waiting from I have been told about 2 months ago. I’m very glad he’s gone and I don’t happened to see him with Sidney Crosby anymore .Sidney Crosby was tired of Connor Sheary . Sidney Crosby has Jake Guentzel as his permanent LW.

He’s a one dimensional small winger. I wish he all the best luck . I just wish Rutherford would have never sign him 3 mil to only get pick back.
Thanks Botterill. About 10 million in cap space. I hope no Jack Johnson although he’s a good person and buddies with Sid.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You know i'm not talking about you. :laugh: I'm talking about the idiots who claim he's a worthless hockey player.

I'm going to do this thing where I agree while also disagreeing.

Sheary is an NHL player. He's worthy on a roster spot on an NHL team. He's proven worthy of a roster spot on a winning team. But in the context of how the Penguins are now constructed and how Sheary played for an entire year, he's "worthless" to the Penguins, because he was viable in literally a single spot, and that spot made the team worse.

He couldn't move up and down the lineup. He couldn't perform at an acceptable level anywhere except for Sid's line, and every iteration of that line with Sheary was worse than the alternative.

Our LW situation is putrid. Moving Sheary out allows them to bring in a LW that better fits this team. Plus, the fact that the Penguins didn't have to eat salary on a deal involving Hunwick shows Sheary has positive value elsewhere.

This is a great first step to a 4-step dance move. If JR nails the follow up, it's good. If he botches it, it's just like a Shero special, moving out bad fits and replacing them with bad fits.

I trust JR

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I agree with the consensus. This trade is a draw right now and depends on who they get with the extra cap space. If Kunitz is one of them, I'm out.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I honestly though they'd get more for Sheary.

It's obvious Hunwick was a throw-in piece. Just to relieve the Penguins of some cap room. Buffalo can hang onto Hunwick or buy his contract out, much like what Colorado did with Orpik. I honestly thought they'd be able to get at least a 2nd round pick for Sheary. I guess I'm fine with it. No harm, no foul.

The problem is that every other team has access to last season's video where Sheary often looked like a borderline NHL player that fumbled passes and couldn't stay on his skates. A far cry from the gem of a player he was the season prior to that. Sure, it's possible that he rebounds and becomes a 40+ point player, but I think it's more likely that his next contract is league minimum or written in Swedish.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad