Confirmed with Link: Sheary and Hunwick to Buffalo for a conditional 4th round pick (2019)

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
If Kunitz comes back, this board is going to implode. If he got paid under a 1m and only stayed on the 4th line, I still don't want it. Please dont JR...

Sheary is a decent little player but alas he's been a complete non factor the last couple postseasons. His time in Pittsburgh was at it's end with the Rust deal. Hunwick just didn't fit in. I didn't like that deal the moment it was announced. But good luck to him.

Reactions: td_ice

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I don't see us going for Jack Johnson unless it is super cheap. He's awful and wants too much.

Aren't we going for Duclair?

This deal might seem low on the return but it is because of Hunwick.

Exactly.

I think if it was just Sheary you get a 3rd round pick but the Penguins basically paid Buffalo to take Hunwick.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The good: clearing cap space

The bad: getting no value back for Sheary because Hunwick had negative value.

The ugly: possibly bringing back the corpse of Chris Kunitz and signing a dman who cannot defend because he is Sid's BFF

Totally agree
Was sure a guy like Sheary could have fetched us at least a 2nd
Oh well, now let's just hope GMJR doesn't f*** up a signing with the cap space he just created

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Hell no. I'd take the chance on JJ but no way we strike gold with both of them. Plus, we all know Kunitz isn't going to be strictly 4th line. He will weasel his way back to Crosby's line. Don't even risk it.

If Sully would use Kunitz on the 4th or with Brassard and Kessel, I could stomach it. The fact that he would find himself in the top 6 almost immediately makes me wanna puke.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Couple quick hits:

1) When JR makes a mistake, he does his best to make it go away. Hunwick had the tools that should have fit here. Unfortunately it didn't and it was bad. JR gets rid of it. Kudos JR.

2) Sheary will be missed and one of Simon/Sprong/ZAR HAVE to pick up their level and match Sheary's ability.

3) PLEASE DO NOT SIGN KUNITZ.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not a bad deal when you consider all variables here (4th rounder with the possibility of being a 3rd). Good job by JR. Not sure I like the JJ/Kunitz rumors however.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Couple quick hits:

1) When JR makes a mistake, he does his best to make it go away. Hunwick had the tools that should have fit here. Unfortunately it didn't and it was bad. JR gets rid of it. Kudos JR.

2) Sheary will be missed and one of Simon/Sprong/ZAR HAVE to pick up their level and match Sheary's ability.

Kudos to JR for signing an absolutely terrible contract at having to move one of our best goal scorers over the past two years for a 4th because of it!

It is only kudos if he does something sensible with the cap space.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Logged in and saw the link to this trade and got confused at how subdued the reaction was. Then I realized I was on the main board trade forum and not ours...

I feel like I valued Sheary more than most, but this is a great move as he is redundant on this team and Hunwick was just a failure here (called it, so I'm taking credit). Wish them both luck next season, and with Sheary instantly becoming one of their best skilled wingers and if Hunwick has a bounceback season, this may end up being good for a growing Buffalo team.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Couple quick hits:

1 and 3 seem diametrically opposed. hopefully press still living in the shero age where such a move seems plausible.

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
The Hunwick deal was a serious mistake, but at least we’re at the end of paying for it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
With Sheary for sure gone.

46-87-41
62-71-72
59-19-81
12-15-17

I think we need a LW who can play defense and score. You could move Rust over or Try Di Pauli or ZAR and see if they develop into a top 9 LW.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Couple quick hits:

Agree on the first half of one, and all of two and three. JR does seem to have that quality to not hold on to things, he cuts his losses and moves on which is the type of attitude you need in a good GM. Cold, but valuable.

Kudos to JR for signing an absolutely terrible contract at having to move one of our best goal scorers over the past two years for a 4th because of it!

It is only kudos if he does something sensible with the cap space.
Also agreed on this. This team desperately needed something on the back end and Hunwick was not the answer. Seemed obvious last offseason, even more obvious in hindsight. On Sheary, even if he was one of our better goal scorers, we still have plenty of goal scorers so no problem moving a redundant piece here. Liked him here, but this was always in the teams best interest.

Reactions: ColePens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Is Skinner a UFA this summer?

If not, what are we trading to get him?

I don't see what we have that CAR would want for Skinner, even as a rental...Jarry maybe and first round pick...that's all we could afford...can't see that they'd be interested in Sprong with all their young wing talent....I think he's a pipe dream....maybe for a couple picks at the TDL but I think CAR is asking a lot more now, particularly if he was signing a longterm deal with someone

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00