Confirmed with Link: Sheary and Hunwick to Buffalo for a conditional 4th round pick (2019)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Forget Skinner...not happening...we’re giving all our cap money to Johnson....we feel sorry for his bankruptcy and are making a charitable donation....

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Forget Skinner...not happening...we’re giving all our cap money to Johnson....we feel sorry for his bankruptcy and are making a charitable donation....

Unless they’re dealing Maatta or Letang.

Now, don’t get me wrong, replacing either of those guys with JMFJ not.. smart

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm going to do this thing where I agree while also disagreeing.

Sheary is an NHL player. He's worthy on a roster spot on an NHL team. He's proven worthy of a roster spot on a winning team. But in the context of how the Penguins are now constructed and how Sheary played for an entire year, he's "worthless" to the Penguins, because he was viable in literally a single spot, and that spot made the team worse.

He couldn't move up and down the lineup. He couldn't perform at an acceptable level anywhere except for Sid's line, and every iteration of that line with Sheary was worse than the alternative.

Our LW situation is putrid. Moving Sheary out allows them to bring in a LW that better fits this team. Plus, the fact that the Penguins didn't have to eat salary on a deal involving Hunwick shows Sheary has positive value elsewhere.

This is a great first step to a 4-step dance move. If JR nails the follow up, it's good. If he botches it, it's just like a Shero special, moving out bad fits and replacing them with bad fits.

I trust JR

So...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unless they’re dealing Maatta or Letang.

Now, don’t get me wrong, replacing either of those guys with JMFJ not.. smart

I’d trade Phil for Skinner+....Skinner is a better ES player and younger..I wonder if that’s the trade the Canes rejected...I don’t think, with their D (which includes Faulk) that they’d have any interest in Letang....can’t imagine they do like Maatta with what they have already...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’d trade Phil for Skinner+....Skinner is a better ES player and younger..I wonder if that’s the trade the Canes rejected...I don’t think, with their D (which includes Faulk) that they’d have any interest in Letang....can’t imagine they do like Maatta with what they have already...

I’d guess the original package was centred around Sheary. If they’re revisiting it, I’d guess it’d be centeted around Maatta or Kessel.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
tcGWHw2.gif

Reactions: Pens x

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d guess the original package was centred around Sheary. If they’re revisiting it, I’d guess it’d be centeted around Maatta or Kessel.

It better come with a contract extension....JR likes Maatta too much...I also don’t think it’s a good idea to have Phil and Sprong and Skinner...too many similar players...hopefully there’s a deal there for Phil....

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sheahan and Oleksiak need extentions also.
EpzdcOd.gif

This is interesting. The value is a bit of a head-scratcher, it seems to be a cap saving move more than anything. So now all the guys that Sully would shoe-horn into the line-up are gone, or will be ... Wilson went during the season, Kuhnhackl wasn't given a QO and now Sheary has been traded. Interesting.
xOpHSPy.gif

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sheary we hardly knew ye.
I was happy for Sheary when he got his contact...but not for the Pens. Made him a lesser asset on signing.
Best of luck in Buffalo though.

Hunwick was simply a liability...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hey all. Been a bit. Too furious to post after the results of the playoffs. Spent time doing productive stuff. Yadda yadda.

Anyhow... somebody make me feel good about all this. Jack Johnson? Really? The Sheary/Hunwick deal I get, even if it's pretty putrid on paper. But either I accept that I know nothing about the game after watching and playing most of my life and everything I've seen of JJ's work over the years is totally off base or he just isn't very good at all and my god why would we potentially sign him for the years I've been hearing.

Thanks. Missed you idiots.

Reactions: Shady Machine

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I had to read the thread title twice to be sure i wasn't dreaming. I feel lighter somehow.

Dump an overpaid guy who actually becomes a liability in PO + mega meh man (at best...) for a pick? Awesome, can't wait to see what happens next.

Old man still got some magic left.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jack Johnson and Chris Kunitz are REALLY who this team is looking at?
Wait what?!?

Yay for my 2 minutes high after reading the thread's title...

If one of Kunitz/Johnson comes here it better be dirt cheap.

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
mackey is going all in with johnson and Kunitz, almost as if gets cut for their signing. I watched a few Jackets games and he was atrocious, also the advance stats are worse than Hunwick's which is really hard to accomplish...I am hoping oh hoping so much that this is not true. makey is reporting 5 years, I cannot believe.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
This is a great first step to a 4-step dance move. If JR nails the follow up, it's good. If he botches it, it's just like a Shero special, moving out bad fits and replacing them with bad fits.

I trust JR
So, it seems we have a Shero special on our hands now...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just want to reiterate that losing Sheary is actually losing something and people who claim he's worthless have no clue. Little dude can flat out score goals. I understand he struggled in the postseason. I just hope it's a decent hockey deal or something is happening.

But I cannot stand when Pens fans say Sheary is nothing.

Losing Hunwick, and signing JJ is definitely something.

Reactions: ColePens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad