Confirmed with Link: Sheary and Hunwick to Buffalo for a conditional 4th round pick (2019)

PittsburghHustlers

Jan 9, 2017
Stockholm
I guess this deal would have been alright if we actually did something good with the cap space. Now we lost a quality depth forward and signed an almost equally bad defender to a much worse contract.... Really bad.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I don't know why Johnson is being looked at. Well, I know why, Sid requested they try to sign him, like he asked for JR to get an enforcer last off-season, but the guy was scratched in Columbus. He is going to cost more than he is worth and that is the type of contract the Pens can't afford to be handing out......

It does seem like Kunitz at a small rate or camp invite is a given at this point. lol

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I think we are going to miss Sheary’s hustle and goal scoring. Still a pretty good trade to clear cap space and get rid of Hunwick.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think we are going to miss Sheary’s hustle and goal scoring. Still a pretty good trade to clear cap space and get rid of Hunwick.

I’m not so sure we still scored 3.3 goals a game last season with Rowney, Kuhnhackl and Reaves playing a majority of the season (plus McKegg) who combined for 10 goals.

They won’t be back plus we have Sprong, Brassard and Sheahan (Simon too) for full seasons now, who are all better than those guys. Our offense should be better if anything.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
You can say it doesn't hurt, that it takes away the correct two contracts to give us cap flexibility and you can say it is JR cleaning up his own mistakes relatively quickly. All of that would be correct. But it puts an exclamation mark on the errors made in the first place also.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look, Sheary is absolutely a good scorer, but he brings nothing else... they needed a roster space and ice time for sprong... and it was a position of depth to begin with

They had to get Hunwick off the roster
He just was a bad fit...

It would have been nice to get more back for sheary but they likely had to give something up to get Hunwick out without retaining on him

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You can say it doesn't hurt, that it takes away the correct two contracts to give us cap flexibility and you can say it is JR cleaning up his own mistakes relatively quickly. All of that would be correct. But it puts an exclamation mark on the errors made in the first place also.

That is like my buddy telling me that he won $5000 in Vegas this past weekend and ignoring the $20000 that he lost. No GM hits on them all and the Pens have fewer bad contracts since JR took over than most. You have to expect whiffing now and then. The important thing is the overall results.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He's a good offensive player and definitely not worthless--just not the same value to the Pens as other players and was the most expendable winger who had some salary to move....reality

Sheary is the winger I wanted traded. He is only good in a scoring line and I saw no spot for him next season. I was as happy getting rid of his $3 million cap hit as I was losing Hunwick and his $2.2 million cap hit. Also the move was not for nothing because that pick can be an early 3rd round pick which is about what I believe Sheary is worth (mid to late 2nd to early 3rd). So dumping Hunwick and still getting near fair value for Sheary was a great deal. I really want the Pens to give Sprong a real chance at being in the top 9 and Sheary is the guy that needs to go to make that happen. For all the doubt about Sprong he was near the top of all goal scorers in the AHL in his rookie season in the league. I have no doubt he can score goals at the NHL level if given a real legit 40 game stint. If not then we trade a pick at the deadline to get a 3rd line replacement. I rather find out though than block him with Sheary. I think if you put Sprong with Rust and Brassard that could be a very good 3rd scoring line. I look at that line like how the Malkin line is formed with Rust being your Hagelin type and Sprong being your Kessel type. I would start the season with these lines.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Brassard-Sprong
Aston-Reese-Sheahan-Simon/UFA $2-2.5 million signing winger

Those lines would match up against the best on any team. I bet Sprong is going to have a very good year. Not many past Pens players have scored more goals as a 20 year old AHL rookie than he did last year. In fact did anyone his age or younger score more goals in the AHL last year? We need to find out what he can do because we can't send him down and we need to give him a real shot at top 9 minutes. Sheary would just make that more difficult because neither are 4th line players and neither are taking out any of the other 5 wingers in the top 3 lines. I actually believe Sprong will give us everything Sheary did and for $2.25 million less cap hit a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: BladeRunner66

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
That is like my buddy telling me that he won $5000 in Vegas this past weekend and ignoring the $20000 that he lost. No GM hits on them all and the Pens have fewer bad contracts since JR took over than most. You have to expect whiffing now and then. The important thing is the overall results.

... I am not dissgreeing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad