Post-Game Talk: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 [Santorelli]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We're five games into the year, and things are being read in too much depth. If this is game 20, it would be time to panic.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We're five games into the year, and things are being read in too much depth. If this is game 20, it would be time to panic.

3-2-0. I'll take that with injuries, slow starters and a new coach. I said before the season started I'd take .500 at the 10 game mark.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Basically what I'm saying is: this team needs more than a coach to turn things around. You can coach as much as you want, coach 'em as hard as you want, coach 'em as long as you want, but it's down to the players to execute in game situations....and they just don't.

It's not the coach (AV/Torts) that's the problem here.

I agree.

Especially since the cliche of your best players have to be your best players holds true.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But they lost because they couldn't stop high percentage scoring chances in the slot area, coupled with their inability to find any passing or shooting lanes in San Jose's zone. There were quite a few times where the Canucks won battles, drove the puck into the Sharks end and couldn't do a damn thing with it. They needed a lot more than extra hustle and effort. Kudos to San Jose - their team play at the moment is flawless.

5 games in, don't think I've seen Ryan Kesler create an even strength scoring chance for himself or a linemate. If he can't get back to where he was 2 years ago, this team isn't a contender whatsoever. I really hope he rounds into form...

Yup.

I didn't have much problem with our effort level tonight. But when we got into their zone, we looked like we were firing a cap gun at a castle. No penetration whatsoever, no ability to make plays. Just completely boxed out defensively. Won lots of battles on the perimeter but couldn't take the puck into dangerous areas.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
Overall, even though we played terribly, we held the hottest team in the league to a 3-1 game (before the empty netter) so I don't think all is lost yet. The team could be decent with Burrows back and when guys like Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Kesler pull their heads out of their *****.

We really need a 4th line though. Weise was awful tonight, Dalpe has yet to anything noticeable in any area of the rink and Sestito is just a face puncher.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

I'm honestly not trying to argue with you, but I have to say that it seems like this kind of thing is said every year. Then game 20 rolls around and the issues are still there and nobody has anything to say.

I'm not pressing any panic buttons here. I'm just someone who would rather be aware of the concerns right off the bat.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
3-2-0. I'll take that with injuries, slow starters and a new coach. I said before the season started I'd take .500 at the 10 game mark.

Just a typical October start too. New system and new coach especially, meh, stay above .500 for this month and it'll be a success.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Basically what I'm saying is: this team needs more than a coach to turn things around. You can coach as much as you want, coach 'em as hard as you want, coach 'em as long as you want, but it's down to the players to execute in game situations....and they just don't.

It's not the coach (AV/Torts) that's the problem here.

They need more than a coach to turn things around, but I definitely believe a coach impacts how those players are able to execute. He can't make a poor team great, but he definitely has a degree of impact. Of that there can be no question. Otherwise, the quality of coaching doesn't matter, and I don't believe that, especially when seeing what Robinson has done with SJ's defense.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm honestly not trying to argue with you, but I have to say that it seems like this kind of thing is said every year. Then game 20 rolls around and the issues are still there and nobody has anything to say.

I'm not pressing any panic buttons here. I'm just someone who would rather be aware of the concerns right off the bat.

Only reason I'm giving this sinking ship time is because we have a new face behind the bench with a pale throwing water overboard keeping us from sinking faster and further.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yup.

I didn't have much problem with our effort level tonight. But when we got into their zone, we looked like we were firing a cap gun at a castle. No penetration whatsoever, no ability to make plays. Just completely boxed out defensively. Won lots of battles on the perimeter but couldn't take the puck into dangerous areas.

Nope. In fact the coach points this out by saying all the 50/50 pucks were lost. He's referring to battles there. May be semantics but i did not seethe team win "lots of battles".

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
They need more than a coach to turn things around, but I definitely believe a coach impacts how those players are able to execute. He can't make a poor team great, but he definitely has a degree of impact. Of that there can be no question. Otherwise, the quality of coaching doesn't matter, and I don't believe that, especially when seeing what Robinson has done with SJ's defense.

A coach can impact how they execute, no doubt. New systems etc, but it's ultimately up to the players to actually execute it on ice. Point is, he can't really make a team that could barely score before, all of a sudden score now. I believe it has more to do with the personnel than the system(s).

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
A coach can impact how they execute, no doubt. New systems etc, but it's ultimately up to the players to actually execute it on ice. Point is, he can't really make a team that could barely score before, all of a sudden score now. I believe it has more to do with the personnel than the system(s).

It has more to do with the players, but it doesn't have everything to do with the players. Execution is also coaching influenced as well as player influenced. What to do when, is a matter relayed to a player as well as a player thinking on the spot. It's a combination. It's not the player in isolation.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It has more to do with the players, but it doesn't have everything to do with the players. Execution is also coaching influenced as well as player influenced. What to do when, is a matter relayed to a player as well as a player thinking on the spot. It's a combination. It's not the player in isolation.

Fair enough. However, I'll be surprised if this team can ever score at will again. I think we have the depth to be able to roll three lines that can be an offensive threat, but they just aren't.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
But they lost because they couldn't stop high percentage scoring chances in the slot area, coupled with their inability to find any passing or shooting lanes in San Jose's zone. There were quite a few times where the Canucks won battles, drove the puck into the Sharks end and couldn't do a damn thing with it. They needed a lot more than extra hustle and effort. Kudos to San Jose - their team play at the moment is flawless

But you stop those high percentage scoring chances by winning puck battles before they happen. Its also how you create them, win a 50/50 puck in the offensive zone and the coverage starts to break down and passing lanes appear. Offensively and defensively it all starts off the puck battle, which aren't won 100% on hustle and effort, but your chances are reduced significantly if you're the second hardest worker in the corner.

Over all, not too concerned at this point. Certainly a realistic possibility that we aren't a top rung team this year, but we're at worst a playoff team. See how things go between now and Christmas, by then the players should have the system down and found their roles in it. Even if this year ends up being a bit of a doown year as far as the regular season goes, we'll hopefully be having Bo, Hunter, Gaunce etc start making the team next year, and we could be rejuvenated just like the SHarks core seems to have been.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yup.

Yeah, this was easily the biggest issue and it was something we've seen in the playoffs against the Kings/Sharks.

The Canucks once again were the more physically punishing team and it generated absolutely nothing. San Jose brings zero aggression and bodychecking against the Canucks and handles them with ease...

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I still feel playmaking wingers would make a world of a difference for our second line. If we can pick up Samuelsson for cheap that's a reliable second liner and PP QB right there. It's not like there aren't options out there.

Outside99*

I thought the Canucks were at their best in the 1st, and Hansen was the best forward with Higgins a close 2nd. They were putting a lot of pressure on the Sharks' D. And then inexplicably, Hansen and Booth switched lines.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
But you stop those high percentage scoring chances by winning puck battles before they happen. Its also how you create them, win a 50/50 puck in the offensive zone and the coverage starts to break down and passing lanes appear.

But the Canucks won countless battles, gained possession, brought the puck into the Sharks end and couldn't muster anything whatsoever. A lot of credit has to go to the Sharks here - they were airtight defensively.

This team just doesn't have enough pure offensive players. Behind the Sedins, goals are going to be at a premium all year long.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Fair enough. However, I'll be surprised if this team can ever score at will again. I think we have the depth to be able to roll three lines that can be an offensive threat, but they just aren't.
I think they will score at will again. Then go right back to struggling to score. Rinse repeat.

They need consistency and havent had that from guys like Kesler, Booth, Higgins.

Sedins cant be relied on for everything especially getting older.

Nor can Santorelli....

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I still feel playmaking wingers would make a world of a difference for our second line. If we can pick up Samuelsson for cheap that's a reliable second liner and PP QB right there. It's not like there aren't options out there.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Samuelsson provided we get him for a weak prospect. He's had a lot of issues staying healthy in Detroit and I don't feel its worth using a pick on.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
But the Canucks won countless battles, gained possession, brought the puck into the Sharks end and couldn't muster anything whatsoever. A lot of credit has to go to the Sharks here - they were airtight defensively.

This team just doesn't have enough pure offensive players. Behind the Sedins, goals are going to be at a premium all year long.
My intial impression turning the game on for the 2nd period was that in the Sharks zone the Sharks had figured out the nucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad