Post-Game Talk: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 [Santorelli]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
He just said he wont overreact but we need more guys going, he admitted the first goal i believe it was with thornton... admitted he guessed wrong he put the 4th line out and todd sent the thornton line out at that same time, but also made a good point the 4th line also needs to be able to play a minute because hes been riding so many guys on the top line.

Just commented about lazy defending again, and he felt the team crawled back in a hole after the sharks made it 3-1.

Also mentioned us loosing so many puck battles, he was calm during the conference though.

Thanks.

Yeah, we lost most battles for the puck tonight. Back n our heels. No sense in panicking, but he (Torts) needs to kick some ass after tonight.

Saw this effort too often the last couple of year...slipped right back into that passive AV style again and I hate it.

Kierkan

Something Witty
Jan 21, 2010
Kamloops
Torts coming out and saying straight up "I guessed wrong" when he put the 4th line out after the PP and SJ put Joe on. I love this man.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Don't wanna hurt any feelings, but I just gotta laugh at that. Year after year slow starts with AV, we had our best start last year and our worst season in years. A game for 2 points in October is a game for 2 points in October, but we've got far to go yet. I'm not losing my head after this game, would have liked to see a better result, but this is far from a sneak preview of what the team will be playing like in March.

Debatable.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The game wasn't ost on puck battles, it was lost on positioning and anticipation. The Canucks don't cover the slot area very well at all, while leaving the points open. That's hard to do... Contrast that with San Jose where it was virtually impossible to find a passing or shooting lane in their own end.

Larry Robinson has the Sharks defending on a different level than Tortorella. There was a lot more to this loss than a lack of 'battle' and 'stiffness'.

I would say it was lost on both, sharks won most of the puck battles along the boards, but also had superior gap control and position-ally took away all our options. They also send two guys in on the forcheck and our d still has this passive nature in our own z at times thinking they have time to pass the puck when the sharks are sending 2 guys in giving the d no time or space to make an outlet pass.

Dont think it was just one thing.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The 2nd line (mostly Kesler) looks disgustingly bad, Bieksa and Hamhuis look permanently drunk, the team is still struggling mightily in their own zone, and Luongo has looked good but not great. If those things get fixed I think the the team will be fine. Hopefully it happens somewhat soon because Santorelli isn't going to continue shooting at 44%.

I think that 2nd line comment should be localized mostly to Kesler. The other two wingers played better than he did.

Bieksa and Hamhuis, yes, drunk.

There's no trust or poise with this team right now.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Yeah, that was a bad move.

But torts is right the 4th line needs to be able to play a few minutes at some point, and san jose has 3 top lines... your going to have to play them either against thornton, or couture, or pavelski.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
For frame of reference and perspective building. Montreal beat Boston 13 consecutive times, scoring 39 goals in only eight games during 2008. Boston managed to drive a game season in the playoff series against them before ultimately losing.

They got over it, and so will we.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
But torts is right the 4th line needs to be able to play at some point, and san jose has 3 top lines...

Thornton's line was playing very well; just not a good idea to match him against the 4th line at that point. But yeah, we need to be able to utilize a 4th line (and more than 60 seconds a game).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Santorelli should get 30 min with the way he is playing.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The game wasn't ost on puck battles, it was lost on positioning and anticipation. The Canucks don't cover the slot area very well at all, while leaving the points open. That's hard to do... Contrast that with San Jose where it was virtually impossible to find a passing or shooting lane in their own end.

Larry Robinson has the Sharks defending on a different level than Tortorella. There was a lot more to this loss than a lack of 'battle' and 'stiffness'.

Winning 50/50 pucks includes anticipation and positioning. Battles aren't just about hitting and hustle. The point is, wherever there was an opportunity to win a puck, it evaporated quick. That contributed greatly to the loss.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Thornton's line was playing very well; just not a good idea to match him against the 4th line at that point. But yeah, we need to be able to utilize a 4th line (and more than 60 seconds a game).

Well he did not match them, he said he put the 4th line out and todd put his 1st line out and he guessed wrong, was not intentional or what he wanted, he owned up to it.

Pavelski i thought also played a great game, and couture line was also very good with marleau, torts is going to get stuck with his 4th outgunned at some point when we play the sharks. On sharks home ice its only going to get worse when they get last change.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Well he did not match them, he said he put the 4th line out and todd put his 1st line out and he guessed wrong, was not intentional or what he wanted, he owned up to it.

Pavelski i thought also played a great game, and couture line was also very good with marleau, torts is going to get stuck with his 4th outgunned at some point when we play the sharks. On sharks home ice its only going to get worse when they get last change.

Ah, you're right. My bad.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Over-read the "sneak preview" part, but I don't think it's a stretch to say this team will be playing like this in March. I mean, they've done it the past two years.

Maybe not, but Torts' way of playing is still new to them. I still think leadership wants to win which is the most important thing. If they stray off the path, I'm sure they'll be given lots of reminders on what that is.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006

Thing is when you have home ice you don't have to guess. That's what last change is all about.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Sick of Niemi being great against us. Can't he just have a bad game once, please? Can't say i'm mad about the loss. I expected it. On to the next one.

King of Anarchy

Sep 30, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The 2nd line (mostly Kesler) looks disgustingly bad

It's been evident for a long time that Hansen and Higgins aren't 2nd liners, but at the same time, what can you do? It's not like we have a plethora of proven candidates lining up to replace them. (at least guys that we haven't tried on the 2nd line before)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->