Post-Game Talk: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 [Santorelli]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Part of our problem is the same problem Gillis has failed to address since 2011.

We rate players like Higgins, Hansen, (Kassian) Booth, Weise, Sestito too highly, Kesler is not functioning, we need him and Burrows to get back to the form of 3 years ago.

To a certain extent Gillis has been his own worst enemy relating to signings and contracts. But we have too many players who don't "see" the game and don't know how to create dangerous situations.

This is where it was pure folly to lose a player like Raymond imo. He was a sniper AND a creator and all the banging in the world doesn't make up for these qualities. People say he wasn't a fit but what exactly was he fitting into? When he played with a clever player like Schroeder it was obvious they could do damage and Hansen didn't have to do any "thinking/creating" he just need to react.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Part of our problem is the same problem Gillis has failed to address since 2011.

We rate players like Higgins, Hansen, (Kassian) Booth, Weise, Sestito too highly, Kesler is not functioning, we need him and Burrows to get back to the form of 3 years ago.

To a certain extent Gillis has been his own worst enemy relating to signings and contracts. But we have too many players who don't "see" the game and don't know how to create dangerous situations.

This is where it was pure folly to lose a player like Raymond imo. He was a sniper AND a creator and all the banging in the world doesn't make up for these qualities. People say he wasn't a fit but what exactly is he fitting into?

I think it's because we made the finals with Higgins and Raymond on the second line, but teams never make the finals with a Higgins on the second line. We had everything else, except a 4th line that year. PP, PK, goaltending, defence, first line, selke Kesler, and didn't have to go through a team as good as last years Hawks or even 2012 Kings or this years Sharks to get there.

We needed to improve secondary scoring after 2011 and Gillis definitely failed there. But every single area of this team is weaker than 2011 except maybe the PK if they can keep this up.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

This is where it was pure folly to lose a player like Raymond imo. He was a sniper AND a creator and all the banging in the world doesn't make up for these qualities. People say he wasn't a fit but what exactly was he fitting into? When he played with a clever player like Schroeder it was obvious they could do damage and Hansen didn't have to do any "thinking/creating" he just need to react.

How do you "solve" that though?

Those players are not exactly easy to upgrade on - trading them or going for UFAs. Except Booth their contracts are fine IMO.

I guess you might have been able to with Kassian, but we just can't trade away any of our 20-24 year old players for older players at the moment. Especially not Kassian - even if I'm far from convinced he will be much of a player.

Kesler is our biggest problem IMO. You can play a guy like Santorelli with the twins and it still kind of works. Kesler needs to have the same effect on his line. We got a bunch of good players that can be very good when Kesler is good. When Kesler is average or poor the others aren't good enough to carry him.

I'm not worried. SJ are among the 3-4 best teams in the league IMO. Right not probably the best. 50-60 games from now hopefully Kesler is closer to his best. Booth is still fit. Kassian improving etc. Then we also will be a very good team. Not the best in the league, but certainly capable of beating anyone in the play offs with a bit of luck.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Raymond was simply terrible in the playoffs.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
SJ is firing on all cylinders.
Canucks are firing on a couple.

It wasn't that long ago that people were writing the Sharks off,
saying the "window had closed" and should blow it up. (lmao)

Instead? They got faster, younger, with a change in systems (much better team defence)
Didn't happen overnight. Took a while to adjust. Some people predicted them to miss the playoffs last year.

Now look at them. Patience.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
SJ is firing on all cylinders.
Canucks are firing on a couple.

It wasn't that long ago that people were writing the Sharks off,
saying the "window had closed" and should blow it up. (lmao)

Instead? They got faster, younger, with a change in systems (much better team defence)
Didn't happen overnight. Took a while to adjust. Some people predicted them to miss the playoffs last year.

Now look at them. Patience.

No kidding. With Corrado, Horvat, Shinkaruk and a few others prospects not that far away, Canucks just might be on that same path very soon. Besides, right now we have no Burrows and for all intents and purposes, might as well have no Kesler, given how he's playing. Plus it's a new system. Just give them some time to get used to it.

Look at the Rangers and Oilers, and how they're doing in a new system. (I'm not going to mention the Avs because Roy doesn't have a system.)

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Kind of wish Torts split up the twins again last night.

Didn't really care for the Kesler-Booth-Hansen combo. Who the heck is supposed to be the playmaker in that group?

New streak can begin Saturday :)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I was at the game last night and honestly was incredibly bored. Glad the tickets were free because there is almost no entertainment factor with the team I saw last night. Nothing I saw makes me thing this isn't going to be a long year. We can beat the bad teams which is a good thing, but when it comes to playing good teams expected to make the playoffs/go far we do not match up. Our offense was quite bad except for a few chances in the first period and sporadically here or there, Luongo could have been sharper, and our defense still had some bad breakdowns.

Once again, our lone bright spot was the PK.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I was at the game last night and honestly was incredibly bored. Glad the tickets were free because there is almost no entertainment factor with the team I saw last night. Nothing I saw makes me thing this isn't going to be a long year. We can beat the bad teams which is a good thing, but when it comes to playing good teams expected to make the playoffs/go far we do not match up. Our offense was quite bad except for a few chances in the first period and sporadically here or there, Luongo could have been sharper, and our defense still had some bad breakdowns.

Once again, our lone bright spot was the PK.

We've played a single 'top' team and that's the Sharks. They also happen to be the most dominant team in the league right now. Just like during their hot start last season. But I'm glad you can make conclusions for the whole rest of the season based on that.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Raymond was simply terrible in the playoffs.

I don't think he was though (comparatively speaking). Go and watch the games again, he manufactured the most openings for the other players apart from the twins.
I grant you he is not physical but how much does that matter when he is creating openings and is strong on the back check and fore check.

Anyway he's gone now. We really need to get some creativity on the 2nd and 3rd lines. Guys like Hansen Higgins, Kesler, even Both can finish but the have little creativity. Maybe splitting the twins is the answer in the short term and hopefully getting Schroeder fit.

John Bender*

I don't think he was though (comparatively speaking). Go and watch the games again, he manufactured the most openings for the other players apart from the twins.
I grant you he is not physical but how much does that matter when he is creating openings and is strong on the back check and fore check.

Anyway he's gone now. We really need to get some creativity on the 2nd and 3rd lines. Guys like Hansen Higgins, Kesler, even Both can finish but the have little creativity. Maybe splitting the twins is the answer in the short term and hopefully getting Schroeder fit.

Raymond was useless in vancouver. Re-signing Raymond was not the answer.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

I agree with the need for creativity. Kassian and Schroeder will be a huge boost there. Scouting reports on Dalpe implied he was pretty greasy too, maybe if he gets an opportunity it'll show.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I have more faith in Phone Booth than David Booth

I have no idea what this means but I literally laughed out loud.
lmao.gif

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I want to see the following lines once Burrows is back:

Sedin Sedin Kassian/Dalpe
Burrows Kesler Dalpe/Kassian
Booth Santorelli Hansen
Higgins Richardson Weise

Tortorella has given Booth, Higgins, Santorelli and Hansen opportunities in the top 6 to produce and the only one who has come close is Hansen. Yet what we continuously forget is that we have a player (Dalpe) playing on the 4th line, who is actually a top 6 player, if not in the big leagues at least in the AHL, so lets give him a shot at a top 6 role over the next few games and see what he can do. It cannot hurt, if he builds some chemistry with either the Sedins or Kesler great, if not then we need to send him down to Utica or plant his butt in the press box because he is doing us no good being the 4th line center currently.

He has decent speed, a good shot, and decent size, his isnt overly physical but can find open scoring areas, as proven by both his AHL and college stats.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
We just have to wait until we play Boston again so the curse on this team can finally be lifted and reversed. :sarcasm:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I want to see the following lines once Burrows is back:

Sedin Sedin Kassian/Dalpe
Burrows Kesler Dalpe/Kassian
Booth Santorelli Hansen
Higgins Richardson Weise

Tortorella has given Booth, Higgins, Santorelli and Hansen opportunities in the top 6 to produce and the only one who has come close is Hansen. Yet what we continuously forget is that we have a player (Dalpe) playing on the 4th line, who is actually a top 6 player, if not in the big leagues at least in the AHL, so lets give him a shot at a top 6 role over the next few games and see what he can do. It cannot hurt, if he builds some chemistry with either the Sedins or Kesler great, if not then we need to send him down to Utica or plant his butt in the press box because he is doing us no good being the 4th line center currently.

He has decent speed, a good shot, and decent size, his isnt overly physical but can find open scoring areas, as proven by both his AHL and college stats.

I like the idea of moving Richardson to the 4th line C position. Putting him and Weise on that fourth line pretty much instantly legitimizes it, allowing them to play more than 2-3 minutes a game.

I can't see Higgins being bumped that far down the roster. IMO, he's had a strong start, he's just squeezing his stick when he gets his Grade A chances. We know he can put up points in bunches.

As far as Dalpe goes - I think he sticks around as the 13th forward (at least until Schroeder is healthy). If Kassian flops spectacularly as the Sedins' linemate, though, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a shot. He's supposed to be an offensive prospect, so why not see what he has?

IMO, the lines with Kassian back next game should be...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Santorelli - Richardson
Weise - Dalpe - Sestito

Once Burrows returns...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Santorelli - Higgins
Weise - Richardson - Sestito

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Team isn't deep enough with offensive ability and the veterans look really slow and disinterested at times.

The reason San Jose is as good as they have been in the past year and a half is the second wave. The youth that plays with energy, speed, and excitement - something the Canucks lack within their organization. Maybe next season with Shinkaruk and Horvat, but right now the Canucks aren't able to keep up with the Sharks.

On nights when Marleau and Thornton aren't going as hard, Couture, Pavelski, Burns can provide a secondary push.

When the Sedins and Kesler aren't going...who's left? Higgins? Hansen? Booth? It's unrealistic to expect top 6 performance out of players who have never provided it consistently over the course of their careers.

It's been an issue here for a long time, a lack of a supporting cast for the leaders on this team. When this team had Kesler running wild in 2011, it wasn't an issue due to his dominance, but without him at that form, eventually you need some support. Pretty dismal worth ethic last night from the Canucks, behind to almost every puck and no real push until the third.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Team isn't deep enough with offensive ability and the veterans look really slow and disinterested at times.

The reason San Jose is as good as they have been in the past year and a half is the second wave. The youth that plays with energy, speed, and excitement - something the Canucks lack within their organization. Maybe next season with Shinkaruk and Horvat, but right now the Canucks aren't able to keep up with the Sharks.

On nights when Marleau and Thornton aren't going as hard, Couture, Pavelski, Burns can provide a secondary push.

When the Sedins and Kesler aren't going...who's left? Higgins? Hansen? Booth? It's unrealistic to expect top 6 performance out of players who have never provided it consistently over the course of their careers.

It's been an issue here for a long time, a lack of a supporting cast for the leaders on this team. When this team had Kesler running wild in 2011, it wasn't an issue due to his dominance, but without him at that form, eventually you need some support. Pretty dismal worth ethic last night from the Canucks, behind to almost every puck and no real push until the third.

The problem is that our second wave simply isn't ready yet. It will hopefully include Kassian, Schroeder and Corrado, three players who look close to contributing, but - especially in the case of the first two - could still prove not to be everything we hoped for.

Beyond that we have Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, and some other prospects, but they are a ways off from contributing.

SJ's got the best of both worlds in that they have both young guns contributing now and some aging veterans who are still terrific players. We have the latter, but the former isn't ready yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad